PDA

View Full Version : Menapause and Low Carb?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Stevi
Tue, Jun-22-04, 23:12
Hello everyone.
I just started low carbing a few days ago. I had a hysterectomy and was slam dunked into menopause early. Since then, I have not been able to drop one pound, regardless of which diet I went on. My daughter has encouraged me to try Adkins. I am doing the 14 day quick weight loss to start. My attitude tells me this won't work either but I am so hopeful that it will. I have never had such a difficult time losing weight as now in my life. It's terrible and discouraging.
I am looking forward to reading the threads and getting to know everyone. If anyone out there has a similar story as mine, please encourage me! I need to lose 50 lbs!

J.K.
Wed, Jun-23-04, 07:03
Hey Stevi,

Just stopping by to welcome ya in. :)

I don't have any experience with your specific experience, but I can tell ya that the Atkins program works if you work it. Ya also get to eat some pretty cool things too.

Hope to see ya out on the boards then. Best of luck to ya!

And cheers!

nets33
Wed, Jun-23-04, 09:52
Stevi!

Welcome to the forum..... There are plenty of others here who are also struggling with Menopause and are doing Atkina successfully. Take a look at the over 50's area or do a search on Menopause. It may take your body some time to adjust but I know that you can do it.

Think positive thoughts and good luck!
Kiks

black57
Wed, Jun-23-04, 10:18
Hello everyone.
I just started low carbing a few days ago. I had a hysterectomy and was slam dunked into menopause early. Since then, I have not been able to drop one pound, regardless of which diet I went on. My daughter has encouraged me to try Adkins. I am doing the 14 day quick weight loss to start. My attitude tells me this won't work either but I am so hopeful that it will. I have never had such a difficult time losing weight as now in my life. It's terrible and discouraging.
I am looking forward to reading the threads and getting to know everyone. If anyone out there has a similar story as mine, please encourage me! I need to lose 50 lbs!

Hi Stevi, I am peri-menopausal and during induction I lost 9 or 12 lbs by eating low carb foods. I have lost a total of 26 lbs. It seems slow but compared to what i was doing before, it has been fast. I am going to hussle to lose 10 lbs before the end of July. If it doesn't happen, I won't sweat it. But I do hope that I lose a little more weight before heading off to see friends and family in Ohio. :wave:

I don't like to refer to induction as the quick weightloss start. It does give loss a kick start but this is actually time where you learn to adjust to reducing your carbs. :agree: Did you read a low carb book? Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution ( DANDR ) is a good one, as is Dr. Michael and Dr. Mary Eades Protein Power ( PP ) and South Beach Diet ( SBD ). We look forward to reading about your experience and do keep in touch.

Dagger
Wed, Jun-23-04, 15:17
Hello all! I am also a new comer, Stevi's daughter, and very much excited about having these forums as a form of support! Moreso, everyone here seems friendly and knowledgable....irregardless, I still went out and bought several of the books. Although 2/4 packed from a recent move, we now have Neanderthin, Protein Power, Atkins, and South Beach Diet. I find that they are similar but contradictory. It seems that although some people say such and such is more strict than the other, they don't really give a definitive on what and how much you can eat. I am a little confused and instead of reading, feel like I just want to keep asking questions here.

So far, I have been experimenting more than anything. I know my body's in the second to deepest purple level of Ketosis (I broke down and bought the strips) but sometimes I see within these threads I'm already doing stuff wrong. I also had a pound gain back today, although yesterday I cut back on Diet Pepsis and drank more water. Is there a lot of water retension in LC?

It seems there are also subjects that aren't agreed upon, such as diet sodas, tea, artificial sweetener... It's trial and error as much as what works for you, from what I see? I can't really find in the books what the 'free' foods are...like broccoli is a "Good" food, but can we eat as much as we want, etc?

Thanks in advance!

black57
Sun, Jun-27-04, 12:07
So far, I have been experimenting more than anything. I know my body's in the second to deepest purple level of Ketosis (I broke down and bought the strips) but sometimes I see within these threads I'm already doing stuff wrong. I also had a pound gain back today, although yesterday I cut back on Diet Pepsis and drank more water. Is there a lot of water retension in LC?

Thanks in advance!

Although there are definite guidelines, there is alot of trial and error that comes in developing the low carb lifestyle as a way of eating. I know that the body responds differently from low carb because, as you know, we are involving organs such as the liver, kidneys and pancreas. It acts as a stimulator to make them do their jobs. The body has to work to do a low carb diet but it is for its own good.

You said that you gained a lb yesterday but are you on your period or is it nearing that time? There are times when our bodies tend to hold more water than others. The important thing is consistancy. Stay consistant in what you do and it will all come out in the end. If you are worried about any gain step away from the scale for a week or so. Weight does not go down in a nice evenly. Weightloss comes is hills and valleys as we figure out what it is we s'posed to be doin". Weight is gained in the same manner. Also when you weigh, weigh the same time every day ( morning is ideal, before breakfast and after using the potty...naked ) sucking in the gut makes you look better but it doesn't take off any weight. :o