PDA

View Full Version : 1st week of induction, bad side effects!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LissaNYC
Thu, Jun-17-04, 11:28
Hi, im a newbie. I was loving Atkins once the sugar cravings were gone, but then came the leg cramps and now for the past two-three days I've had really bad heart palpitations and fatigue. I didn't start taking my supplements until Tuesday night (didn't know I needed them).

Plus that day, I forgot to bring my snacks (celery sticks) and dinner to my 5 hour night class so I was pretty much starved by the time I ate. So, is it possible that my body went into starvation mode, and if so, how do I correct this?

If its not starvation, why the increase heart rate? Also, I bought "carb smart" by one-a-day and maybe that wasn't the best supplement.

Also, I feel really moody, is that normal?

I'm sorry I have so many questions...I appreciate any and all help because I am freaking out and about to go to the doctor if I don't get better soon.

Thanks in advance!!!

jagbender
Thu, Jun-17-04, 12:13
Your body is going through transition. That can be really rough. Supplement with potassium or lite salt for the cramps. Drink a gallon of water a day.
The fatigue should go away soon when you fully convert to a fat burner.
As for the heart paliptations. You might want to check with your DR.
A good multi vitamin is critical too.
Jag

LucyLucy
Thu, Jun-17-04, 12:25
I would suggest reading the book, and you definitely need vitamins, it's crucial................along with the whole foods, tons of water, etc.

Any weight loss plan involves pre-planning so we're not tempted by the stuff we used to eat. Carb-smart vitamins are junk. It's normal for mood stuff to be going on too, as your body detoxes from the stuff you used to feed it.

Good luck!

LL :)

Hungry247
Thu, Jun-17-04, 12:59
Carb-smart vitamins are junk.

What would you recommend/take?

LucyLucy
Thu, Jun-17-04, 13:45
Taking an all-in one is proven to mostly pass through your system. From www.vitaminshoppe.com, I take a multi, E, C, B Complex, Fiber, Chronium, Potassium, Oil of Oregano, EFA (Essential Fatty Acids) and most crucial, a Calcium/Magnesium mix.

Some are best taken with a meal, some are best on their own. I take my calcium/mag at night, helps with leg cramps. I also had a problem with dizziness, so I take Potassium, no more dizziness. I take my B-VItamin in the afternoon.

When looking at vitamins, look at the serving size, you don't save a lot of money if you have to take 4 tablets.

Remember, the stuff that's usually advertised the most is the stuff thats' so not worth the price, because instead of spending their money on quality ingredients, they spend it on advertising 20 times a night on prime-time television :)

Good luck!

LissaNYC
Fri, Jun-18-04, 11:31
Thanks for the advice. I didn't plan this well at all so I didn't know I needed all these supplements. I headed straight to the health food store yesterday and got a good liquid potassium blend and that helped me feel better temporarily. But today I woke up earlier and had a nice breakfast with my vitamins and feel much better. I'm going back to the store today to get the calcium/magnesium mix and a better multi vit/mineral mix too. I had a feeling the carbsmart was a bad idea... shoulda went with my gut feeling.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Cappy
Sun, Jun-20-04, 12:15
I also have experienced the leg cramps and moodiness. When I started taking a calcium/magnesium supplement, vitamin E, and a multivitamin I started feeling much better. It took a few days (I think for the vitamins to 'build up' in my system) but it does go away. As for your heart palpitations I would check with your doctor about that. I did find myself having dizzy "hot" spells a few days into induction for the first time, but that passed too. Keep us posted. Good luck to you.

jes113
Mon, Jun-21-04, 11:33
I'm starting my second week of induction and I'm feeling the same way. I hope you feel better soon!

LissaNYC
Tue, Jun-22-04, 01:52
I feel great! By Saturday I felt like my old self again so I guess it took that long for the vitamins and minerals to be used efficiently. I didn't start Atkins the right way at all... if I knew before what I know now. I take plenty of potassium in a liquid form with my water and I take a really good women’s multi everything. The only time I feel remotely close to those palpitations is if I don't get enough sleep like right now lol. Hope you feel better jes.

-Lissa

jes113
Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:30
I'm glad you're feeling better. I don't feel so bad today. Hopefully the weakness will go away soon.

-Jes

Leewood
Tue, Jun-22-04, 06:57
Problem in second week: I have gone into my second week and I am seeing no weight loss at all. I am stricter than I have ever been and my only breach is a cup off coffee first thing. Other than that I am by the book. I need to drop 6kg by August 15 (girlfriends wedding) and I think I may not?

On the up side my sugar cravings are long gone, as is my hunger!!! I did 1.5hrs yoga this morning..all good. So why did my weight stop shedding after just 6 days. Oh and the Ketosticks are only pink not purple (moderate).

Help!

GrlyGrl
Tue, Jun-22-04, 08:19
It is not unusual to lose in fits and starts -- you are not the only one to have lost in the first week on induction and then lost nothing the second week...or visa versa! Most people have a stall the third or fourth week. You body is trying to hang onto the weight and lets go of it in an uneven pattern sometimes. Plus water weight masks things sometimes. This WOE requires patience but it works!

selphydeg
Tue, Jun-22-04, 12:02
calcium carbonate is difficult for body to absorb without stomach acid, so it is best to take it with some food.

Leewood
Tue, Jun-22-04, 16:22
Oh thank goodness. It seems I am "back on". Got up this morning and had finally gone from 74.5kg to 73.9kg after 5 days of stalling. I am finding this whole diet thing (haven't really committed to one before) more of a psychological test than a physical one? Talk about your emotional roller coaster.!!!!

Leewood
Wed, Jun-23-04, 17:36
Hi,
I know some will find this gruesome but I am a little concerned. I am 10 days into inductin. I am happy have lost a fair bit,am not having any bowel movements. I don't feel constipated. Except last night I had a movement and there was bloody mucas in it. (Sorry), but has that happened to anyone. I am thinking it is just fat? (Hoping)..
can any-one say they have experienced that or should I just get myself to the Doc this morning?

Leewood
Wed, Jun-23-04, 17:38
Also,
can anyone tell me how you start a new thread?

EnufIsEnuf
Wed, Jun-23-04, 19:28
I had all of those symptoms when I first started also, esp the cramps and palpitations, dizziness. I believe that low electrolytes are the cause of the palpitations. They bothered me for about a week, but now they are gone. Make sure you are getting enough magnesium and potassium and calcium. They should subside, but if they don't, I'd make an appt w/ the doc.

jasohxjoel
Wed, Jun-23-04, 19:55
Keep going and see your dr. about the heart problems!

Karen D.
Wed, Jun-23-04, 23:12
The constipation is not unusual when starting out; I've had a terrible time with it until recently. Many people take psyllium husks or a commercial products made with psyllium husks, but I find that gives me nasty digestive problems. Make sure you're eating lots of fibrous vegetables - that certainly helps. The thing that has really helped me is a product I found at the health food store called "FiberSmart" and it's made by a company called RenewLife. It contains Flax Fiber, Acidophilus, and L-glutamine. It comes in a capsule form, and I take four with breakfast and four with dinner.

If you continue to have blood in your stool, you should definitely see your doctor.

~ic
Wed, Jun-23-04, 23:30
Good, the constipation thing is normal. I was starting to wonder.

LissaNYC
Thu, Jun-24-04, 09:13
Today marks my two weeks of induction. I am only eating things on the proper foods for induction list and I am still very regular so I can't help at all. But I am also eating alot of cheese, and that sometimes helps me "go" so to speak.

Dagger
Thu, Jun-24-04, 11:56
Definitely make sure you're eating as close to the alotted carbs as you can have. At first I was having absolutely 0 and now I feel much better...plus you can eat a bit more. Also, vitamins, making sure I have breakfast, and water make me feel much better.