PDA

View Full Version : Things I Like Dontcha Know

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

J.K.
Thu, Jun-17-04, 08:36
Hello everyone, :)

First, nice forum! My compliments to all who run it. And then I guess a little about me.

I'm 40, not married, with no children - and yep - too many pounds. (something I hope will soon end.) ;) I live in South Mississippi, am a webmaster, and own my own business. http://spider-food.net

For most of my life I kept the weight off by running. I played Rugby in college and after that for years I jogged. I loved it! However, I had to quit about 4 years ago due to knee pain.

I did Atkins about a year ago, loved that also, and had great results. However, I slipped out of the program over the Christmas Holidays, the result of which was that I put almost all the weight back on.

Now it's time to begin again. I guess my reason for joining the forums is just to help me not slip again. I understand the program fairly well, but there's nothing quite like making a few new friends to move that along.

Anyway - as per introductions I'll post this. (please forgive the length). It's something I wrote quite a while back on another forum in response to the question "Things I Like." As such it describes me pretty well.

Cheers!

:)

Things I Like

Here are a few of my favorite things.

Don't laugh. lol

Going barefoot during the day, getting dressed up in the evening, eating at Donitello's, and then going to Phantom of the Opera at night.

Spending the rest of my time in shorts, sweats or jeans.

Looking through different lenses, the smell of the air after it rains, slow Sunday mornings, the sight of a woman in a man's shirt, having my hair pulled, the rising of the spirit!,.... being calm, being held and holding.

The sinking feeling I get on my motorcycle while banking a turn in the mountains, the sound of my breath when I scuba dive, spearfishing, mermaids, dolphins, believing in Eve, and jumping out of an airplane.

Hazardous weather conditions, billowy clouds, and sunshine.

Fire and Lightening. Sex.

Eating Crawfish Etouffee at Christmas, a perfectly cooked steak, having friends over on weekends, quiet talks, wondering what lies behind a child's eyes when they look with wonder, and remembering the things my Papaw taught me.

Goin' Snipe Huntin.' :D

Glow in the dark stars, pop rock candy, gummie bears, klackers, and my 8 Ball.

The sight of a football coming at ya' in the air, catching it, paradox, the origin of my origin, philosophy, religion, and poetry. The memory of childhood dreams where I could fly. Working out on my Stairmaster, listening to music, getting higher, catching my second wind. Projecting, cooling down, and then taking a shower. ..Epiphany.

HA! ;)

Waking early enough to see day break across the lake. Fresh brewed coffee with real cream. Building my library. Pretending I've read all these books. ( lol ) Internet shopping. And those "smoke a cigar" moments when you know you just went through something very difficult and complex but came out on top anyway.

Abstract thought. Being the underdog. "Playing chess."

The power of the myth, watching the Discovery Channel, quiet times on the couch with someone I love. Fast cars, fast thinking, deep conversations, and deep base that thumps.

My Dharma Bum and Zen Lunatic friends.

Building websites, creating my own graphics, writing, and playing with Java.

Listening to classical piano but only if it's live. Playing guitar. Now trying to learn banjo.

The working man, the mother, the preacher, the scholar, all my friends, Sheer Will, and anyone else who can teach me.

'Me Mum" for just being able to hang in there among all my messes. And "me" - for knowing I can get my own self out of the briar patch if I need to and then doin' it if I want.

Then turnin' around and goin' back in cause I'm a stinker. :lol:

The moment you first realize it's really Spring because you look up and see that the sky is vibrantly blue again. Those lazy days of Summer. Floating the river. Sand on my feet. Watermelon. Ice cream and blueberry milk shakes with a cherry on top.

My dog, Digit. My pick up truck <check out them' tires - lol> Scuba gear. Totally torked computer equipment. My Roidan's Thinker - my Meditating Jesus. My altar - my Buddha, the Serenity Prayer, the Three Wise Monkeys, my table water fountain, my 24 Hour chip, "Digging In The Dirt," the Southern Journal of Philosophy, my Padre Pio rosary, a Qbeam - making friends on the Internet - Dreamweaver, the way I make my living. And being different.

Southern by the grace of God, laughing at myself until it hurts, being proud of our country, watching my stepfather hug my mother and remembering this wasn't free, Kid Rock, Toby Keith, and Chris Cagle. Roll over Beethoven.

William Blake, Stephen Crane, and Rumi. - Steve Hawking and Scott Peck... Carl Jung, Peter Gabriel, the Talking Heads, and Steve Vai - Crossroads. (John Leguizamo & Stephen Wright)

Okay - overkill - but I already had it written.

That me! And nice to meet you!

Petrina31
Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:18
J.K.,

Welcome! This is a great place for support, advice and encouragement. You'll soon add this wonderful place to your list of things you like. :)

Big Peter Gabriel fan here. There's a concert special that runs quite often late at night on HDNet that gives me shivers each time I sit and watch it.

Best of luck to you,
Petrina

TarHeel
Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:34
Hello J.K, and welcome to the forum. Feel free to visit some journals and perhaps start your own.

And best of luck with losing the weight.

Kay

J.K.
Thu, Jun-17-04, 10:01
Hey Petrina, Hey TarHeal,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I see you two are also from North Carolina!

Beautiful state! One of my favorite places to vacation. :)

Anywho - I guess I should also add that I'm currently 246 and 6 feet tall. I had lost down to about 220 before, but then came that Christmas break. I guess you should say I've had a very long Christmas.. ;)

I'm shooting this time to break 200 and then stick with it.

Watch out mirror - here I come.. :agree:

Cara73
Thu, Jun-17-04, 10:21
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

I think you'll find this forum very supportive and informative.

Best of luck to you.

orchidday
Thu, Jun-17-04, 10:29
Hi and welcome to the forum! I love your list because you seem like such an optimistic fun person. Do you work from home? I do. More time to get into trouble with carbs but the freedom is wonderful (cash flow is different though hehe). I hope you will find the forum as valuable a tool as I have :).

Orchid

J.K.
Thu, Jun-17-04, 12:13
Hey Cara, Orchid..

Again, many thanks for the warm welcome. Yall' sure know how to make a guy feel at home. :)

And yes, I work from home. (work space (http://spider-food.net/jkandtina/photographs/jkjenterroomdesk.jpg)).. I was I guess what you'd call a corporate type for about 13 years. I was the Claim Manager for Eckerd Corp. (drug store chain). In 1998, however, I decided to stake things out on my own. First I started in Web Design, but quickly from that I moved into search engine optimization.

I've been doing that since then.

I'll check out that journal forum. Thanks for the suggestion. And again, thanks for the welcome.

HA! - :)

Iowagirl
Thu, Jun-17-04, 13:21
Welcome!
Stephen Crane :thup:

bellybuton
Thu, Jun-17-04, 13:23
Love your list J.K. And I am sure it just keeps getting longer!! I know mine does.

J.K.
Thu, Jun-17-04, 19:30
Hey Iowagirl.

Ditto on that Crane..

One looked up, grinning,
And said, "Comrade! My Brother!"

:D lol

Also, nice to meet you too bellybutton.

What a cool screen name..

Iowagirl
Fri, Jun-18-04, 07:51
I stood upon a high place,
And saw, below, many devils
Running, leaping,
And carousing in sin.

twistermom
Fri, Jun-18-04, 08:12
Hello and welcome. Good luck and you have many friends on the forum already!!!

J.K.
Fri, Jun-18-04, 17:23
Hey ya, twistermom.. :cool:

I believe you may have Iowagirl and I beat on the poetry.. lol.. I like your tag line.

Just so we have one complete one in the thread though I'll add this - again from Crane.

Three little birds in a row
Sat musing.
A man passed near that place.
Then did the little birds nudge each other.

They said, "He thinks he can sing."
They threw back their heads to laugh.
With quaint countenances
They regarded him.
They were very curious,
Those three little birds in a row.

:D

Aklsuave02
Fri, Jun-18-04, 18:29
Hey welcome! :) I just joined myself and I hope that we will be able to provide some support for one and other. Man-- I get jealous of you when I think about how I'd kill to be right where you're at right now though-- I'd feel like 46lbs--- thats all!?!? lol I've got 90 to lose... 55 down-- 90 more to go.

I'm sure you'll do it an keep it off this time. I agree with you this support forum should help immensly.

Cara73
Fri, Jun-18-04, 19:14
Hey AK,

You've lost FIFTY POUNDS!! You should be SO proud. That's an amazing accomplishment!!!!
:Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer:

Try not to get bogged down thinking about what you've got left. Look at where you came from!!! Try and set mini goals for yourself. It's not so overwhelming.

I don't know if you've ever heard of the band Audioslave, but every time I see your name, I keep reading it as that :) I love Audioslave.

Best of luck to you.

J.K.
Sat, Jun-19-04, 12:30
That's an amazing accomplishment!!!!

Right back at ya, Cara.

Seems we could say the same thing about you! :p

congrats!!!

hummelda
Sat, Jun-19-04, 20:41
Welcome, J.K. I do love your list!!! I think I'll put together one of those for myself. Mind if I borrow a few of your images??

J.K.
Sat, Jun-19-04, 21:50
Hey Hummelda.

Nice to meet you too.

Also, heck yea.. Feel free to use whatever ya want. Lots of stuff in there I imagine most folks like and it would prolly be a cool thread.

I know it was in the other forum where I first posted it. Lots of folks had good ideas there. Pretty informative too.

D-Mac
Mon, Jun-21-04, 07:14
Welcome Aboard J.K.,

I hope to look down one day and read 199.99 on my scale so one of our goals is very close. I also found your reference to William Blake rather interesting (love the style of his writings and of his sketches).I also agree with hummelda that it would be great to compile a list for myself to remind me of all the reasons I want to be healthy and happy in my own skin for as long as possible.Hope to chat with you again.
Dave

CherishJoy
Mon, Jun-21-04, 07:28
Welcome to the forum, J.K! :)

J.K.
Mon, Jun-21-04, 07:58
Hey CherishJoy..

What a lovely screen name. And thanks for the welcome! :)

Also hello to you too D-Mac.

Whatcha wanna bet we get there! lol

Actually, I changed my goal weight recently to 188. Not sure if that's biting off more than I can chew but I'm feeling pretty motivated and positive right now. I thought getting involved in a forum would be a big help to dieting so I kinda just dived right in and I believe my assumptions were right.

This does help.

Also - yep - gotta love Blake. :cool:

I also have a book I think I can recommend if you like his art. It's a big one - coffee table size - called The Complete Illuminated Books.

I should have mentioned Walt Whittman too. I think I just forgot. But since we're talking about Blake I'll post my favorite piece of his.

And shhhhhhh.....

It's a secret.. ;)

Love's Secret

Love that never told can be;
For the gentle wind doth move
Silently, invisibly.

I told my love, I told my love,
I told her all my heart,
Trembling, cold, in ghastly fears.
Ah! she did depart!

Soon after she was gone from me,
A traveller came by,
Silently, invisibly:
He took her with a sigh.

:D

TeriDoodle
Fri, Jun-25-04, 05:10
Hi JK - I found you when I visited Bill's journal and was intrigued because you can spell! I like that in a person.

I've been sitting here immensely enjoying your list of "things I like"...and had to laugh. You had me right up until the very end when you listed Scott Peck as one of your fav's. :lol: I gotta tell you a story sometime about when I saw him and his wife speak. :rolleyes: I liked him too....until then! But for now, I gotta hit the showers.

Later!
Rainin' your way?

(oops - just realized this belongs in your journal! :mad: )