PDA

View Full Version : Are "Diet" drinks okay with Atkins?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wr165
Mon, Jun-14-04, 02:46
Hi, new to the forum. It's great to be here, and I'm looking foward to posting here more in the future.

I was just wondering, do diet drinks like Diet Pepsi and Coke go against the Atkins diet plan? They're "sugar free", and have no carbohydrates. Just wondering, 'cause I've been drinking a few Diet Pepsi's the past few days...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

MaryToU
Mon, Jun-14-04, 06:41
The Atkins plan prefers that if you drink diet drinks you do so for the ones made with splenda. Which would be Diet Rite. But you will find many people still drink diet coke and diet pepsi and so on. Atkins does not like the products containing Aspartame. Among some of the reasons is that they can stall some people. Personally I don't drink diet soda a that often so I never worry about it.

j0k3r
Mon, Jun-14-04, 08:22
I drink diet sodas all the time. I still avoid drinks with caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic and you need as much hydration as possible. Water is always best, but personally, my fav is Diet Cherry 7-Up.

blessedbei
Mon, Jun-14-04, 09:10
I've never given up my diet soda. I really like diet vanilla coke and sometimes (not very often) I add some heavy cream to it when I want something sweet. It's almost like an ice cream float.
Some people claim to lose weight by giving up even diet soda because they say that it has a lot of sodium.
I use to drink as many as 7-8 sodas per day and now only have 1-2. I find that drinking tons of water quells my thirst and is probably much, much better for me.

Lobstergal
Mon, Jun-14-04, 10:07
I drink a few diet pepsi's (4-6 cans) a week and just had a glass of crystal light with my lunch.

spiderdust
Tue, Jun-15-04, 01:57
But the most important drink is WATER.
http://adsl-209-204-178-126.sonic.net/~morg/food-smiley-022.gif