PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Terith
Sat, Jun-12-04, 15:56
I have been doing 20g or lower carbohydrates for two weeks(intend to stay that low as long as possible). And try as I might. I usually eat more, or equal, amouts of protein than fat. Sometimes a lot more. My average daily composition is almost evenly divided between fat and protein; with less than 5%(usually 1-3%) carbohydrates. So it looks like 49/49/2%.

Is this-- Too much protein, compared to fat, a problem?

I know perfectly well why it is like this. I love eggs, shirmp and seafood in general. Also I find beef and poultry adding more protein than fat as well. So where do you get the fat from?

Thanks.

black57
Sat, Jun-12-04, 16:06
You will get a good dose of fat from your meats so get the meats that have alot of marbling and flavor, such as dark pieces of chicken. Cook your meat and veggies in olive oil, peanut oil, butter etc. Avoid transfats such as margarines I take a vitamin e tablet from time to time. Make sure that you are eating a variety of vegetables ( cooked and raw ).

Terith
Sun, Jun-13-04, 18:31
I've been useing fitday.com and entering all the stuff I eat-- Which does include things like bacon, chicken thighs(mmmm), a corned beef(too expensive for often) and home-made sausages and it still comes out way in favor of protein.

I asked because I heard protein can be turned into glucose by the body, under some circumstances; which I don't know...

However, I just today bought some 'Ketostix' and assured myself I was in ketosis. So, I'm less worried, but still curious.