PDA

View Full Version : Flax Bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

Elizellen
Sun, Jun-06-04, 10:33
I make a microwaved bread from flax

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 3 minutes.

I havent tried the bake mixes so dont know how like real bread they are but I find this makes a fairly closetextured bread that tastes to me like wholemeal bread.

On another board a member suggested you could add parmesan and some herbs to make a savoury loaf but I havent tried it yet.

Totally induction legal for Atkins

About 570 cals for the whole recipe - I get 8 slices out of it
Other info - whole recipe has
Total fat 48 gms
Carbs 18gms (including 15 gms fibre) - so only 3 net carbs
Protein 20 gms

Barzetta
Sat, Jun-12-04, 07:45
This sounds great! Thanks! I'm going to try it! I love low-carb bread substitutes and I love flax meal.

What size container, plate, etc. do you nuke it in?

Barzetta
Sat, Jun-12-04, 07:48
p.s. I'm assuming you use ground flax meal and not whole flax seeds?

missymagoo
Sun, Mar-13-05, 11:10
might have to try this after my induction phsase. sue

cmcole
Sun, Mar-13-05, 14:29
You are allowed flax seed on Induction. It is used as a fibre in aid of constipation.

The flax seed in the aforementioned recipe is ground. I grind mine in a coffee mill set aside for the purpose.

A "Glad" or "Ziplock" sandwich container (the plastic ones like "Tupperware") makes the ideal size for making this - because when you slice it, it is like bread slices.

Sometimes, rather than the two eggs, I'll use one egg and some sour cream. You certainly can vary the recipe.

Once you hit the OWL Berry Rung, adding a few berries (blueberries, etc.) can add a nice change (and even a dash of cinnamon).

patricia1
Fri, Mar-25-05, 21:40
Fantastic recipe, thank you posting this for us to find! I haven't had anything that resembled bread in sooo long, and that was quick, easy to make and tasted great!

Just thinking of the possibilities gets my ming going...Smoked meat, Club Sandwich, grilled cheese...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

patricia1
Sun, Apr-10-05, 10:03
I so love this receipe, I am just bumping for the newbies!

This morning I had 1 slice, toasted, with butter, cream cheese and sliced strawberries! I tasted so good I felt I was cheating!

teddymom1
Mon, Apr-11-05, 10:11
Can someone tell me how much 1 oz of melted butter in teaspoons or tablespoons measurements please? I'd love to try this.
Sue :wave:

patricia1
Sat, Apr-16-05, 08:45
Can someone tell me how much 1 oz of melted butter in teaspoons or tablespoons measurements please? I'd love to try this.
Sue :wave:
A pastry chef friend of mine suggested approx. 2 tbl spoon would do the trick. To be honest I never measured my butter, I used about 2 tbl spoons and the bread comes our perfect!

Nancy101
Sat, Apr-16-05, 08:53
A "Glad" or "Ziplock" sandwich container (the plastic ones like "Tupperware") makes the ideal size for making this - because when you slice it, it is like bread slices.

Okay, just a little confused here -

do you mean those square little sandwich keepers? If so, are you making one slice at a time? How many servings do you get out of ingredients as is?

I've found that baking with flax gives a very moist dense texture - is this the texture of this "bread"?

ssofian
Mon, May-09-05, 17:33
I tried this tonight- was pretty darned good! I was eating it and thought that it would make good french toast. I have some left over- tomorrow I may try dipping in a mixture of egg, cinnamon and splenda and frying it for some french toast!

I toasted it in the frying pan with dinner and added a bit of cheddar and it was lovely.

ssofian
Tue, May-10-05, 07:38
Ok so i made Flax French Toast!!! I used the basic recipe above. I made it last night and left the slices in a plastic container in the fridge overnight.

Then this morning I made a mixture of heavy cream, 1 egg, 1 packet of splenda, and cinnamon. I beat it all together and then soaked each slice of flax bread in it. I then fried it in a nonstick pan on each side until they were browned. I topped with a little butter and caramel davinci syrup. I LOVE whole grain/buckwheat pancakes and that is what this tasted like! It was SO good.

superaunt
Tue, May-10-05, 10:05
OMG!!! I cannot wait to try this!!!! :)

ddaniels
Tue, May-10-05, 11:26
So, you can make an eight slice loaf of bread in THREE minutes. This is incredible!!!! How do you know it's uniformly done? Do you put a toothpick in it? Have you tried baking it in a regular oven?

LCDancer
Tue, May-10-05, 19:19
Elizellen, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE!!! I just made this and is is DEE-LICIOUS!

superaunt
Thu, May-12-05, 08:57
OK. I finally made this last night and when I took it out of the microwave, I was a bit hesitent... it was very yellow and eggy looking and I hate eggs. But I gave it a few seconds and took the loaf out of its container and sliced it.... WOOOOOOWWWIE! It's actual bread!!!!

:cheer:

Great, great, great recipe!!! It's very tastey and boy I can not wait to finish that loaf off -- next time, for a treat, I think I might add some splenda and cocoa powder to make a chocolate loaf.

:yum:

Thanks again!!!

deb34
Thu, May-12-05, 10:54
did anyone answer the container size question? i was looking at the recipe and wondering if it really makes eight slices?

Does the recipe puff up really big or what? How thick are are your slices?

Sorry for so many questions, i just really want to do this right!!!

thanks

deb

superaunt
Thu, May-12-05, 11:03
I used one of those cheapie Glad containers that you can by in packages of 4 or something for a couple of bucks... I actually got mine with some lunchmeat I purchased.

It doesn't puff up that much and frankly, the 8 slices are about the size of those mini rye breads. Ok, maybe a little bigger. :D The taste and texture reminded me of rye bread, btw.

I just toasted a slice and it toasted nicely!! :) The only thing was that it smelled of egg, and again, I hate eggs. Fortunately, it doesn't *taste* like egg -- give it a whirl!! :)

superaunt
Sat, May-21-05, 11:19
So I made this again last night and added a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa and a splash (or 2) of sf vanilla syrup. :yum: :yum: :thup:

cajuda
Tue, Jun-14-05, 04:01
I made this yesterday. The first time I made it, I put it in a 5 in. square plastic container. Nuked it for 3 minutes. Let it cool somewhat and sliced it horizontally so you got 2 large slices of bread. It only rises about an inch. Made it a 2nd time adding garlic powder, basil & oregano for 'garlic bread' and put the dough into a rectangular container ( 5" X 9"), nuked it for about 2 1/2 min. Both were good slathered with butter. Just showed my DH how to make it this a.m. and have the recipe on the fridge for him. He really likes his bread. Going to try the diff. variations suggested soon. Such an easy recipe. Thank you!

(Elizellen, if you can figure it out, you should change the name to 'Microwave Flax Bread' for those folks who don't bake bread and may pass up on this if they just see the name 'Flax Bread'.)

BlitzedAng
Wed, Oct-19-05, 07:56
Heres what I like to do with it.
1) Slice it.
2) toast the slices a bit in the toaster oven.
3) top with mixture of tuna and mayo. Then add some shredded cheddar on top.
4) pop in the oven for a few mins.
Makes a nice tuna melt for brekki. :yum: :yum:

Snow Owl
Tue, Apr-25-06, 22:59
Does anyone know if you can use silcone bakeware in the microwave?
I have a loaf pan & thought that would be good to use,but do not want to ruin it,if it should not be used in the microwave.
I'd love to try this recipe as I liove Flaxbread,but the one I get at the store is just too high in carbs to eat it very often.
Thank you in advance.
Snow Owl From Southern Ontario

IslandGirl
Thu, Apr-27-06, 21:29
Does anyone know if you can use silcone bakeware in the microwave?
I have a loaf pan & thought that would be good to use,but do not want to ruin it,if it should not be used in the microwave.
I'd love to try this recipe as I liove Flaxbread,but the one I get at the store is just too high in carbs to eat it very often.
Thank you in advance.
Snow Owl From Southern Ontario

Sure can. I've been using a silicon miniloaf to test out new flax bread recipes...

mammac-5
Sun, Apr-30-06, 13:20
I have used this same basic recipe for a long time, but I make it into french toast by adding: 1 tsp vanilla, a couple dashes of cinnamon, a couple dashes of nutmeg and a couple packets of Splenda prior to nuking. All you need to do after is cooks is pop it on a plate and drizzle on some SF maple syrup. Even my kids LOVE IT!

theoldlady
Tue, May-23-06, 09:16
Kristine,

Thank you 1,000,000+++ for posting this recipe.

The only thing I changed was using a stick blender to mix everything together so that the bread comes out without the giant air holes I got from mixing with a fork.

This is a bready lifesaver, really! So versatile and tasty that it has become an almost daily treat.

Thank you!

rodeo417
Mon, Jun-12-06, 21:05
this bread is soooooooooooooooooooo yummy :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: !!! i cant thank you enough for this recipe. i have been craving bread and thought that i would never have it again for it caused really bad binges. but this is a gift from heaven and it doesnt cause the horrible binges. i love it more than the muffins now. ohhh thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. :rheart: :hyper: :spin: :roll: :daze: :daze: :Party: :cheer: :cheer:

Mithlondwe
Wed, Jun-14-06, 13:30
Great recipe! Thanks for posting it!

sarah_82
Wed, Jun-21-06, 06:14
I absolutely LOVE this recipe...so fast and so easy I can't believe it! I have made little cakes out of it too with some splenda, cocoa and 85% lindt chocolate in it. Then for fun i poured some coconut milk over it when it was done! Tonight I am going to make the "apple" mix out of zucchini that is described in another thread and throw it in and make a loaf!! My only question is how much is too much flax in a day!?!?

Thanks again for the recipe!

sarah

Elizellen
Sun, Aug-20-06, 04:05
My only question is how much is too much flax in a day!?!?If you are on Atkins induction then you can really only use flax as an aid to constipation problems, starting with one tablespoonsworth and increasing till you are no longer having problems in the bathroom!
Once you are on the nuts/seeds level/rung of OWL you can add the 5 net carbsworth (which would be tons of the bread).

LBelfiore
Sun, Aug-20-06, 11:54
Elizellen: I haven't tried the recipe yet but I will very soon. It's sounds so delicious. Thank you.

missymagoo
Tue, Aug-22-06, 01:52
i still have not tried this but i will have to one of these days. still sounds great. sue

missymagoo
Tue, Aug-22-06, 01:54
are you using flax meal ground up? sue

Elizellen
Tue, Aug-22-06, 02:08
YEs - I use a coffee grinder to grind the flax/linseed seeds into a flour. In UK we cant buy the ready ground up stuff anything like as cheaply as the seeds.

chachinga
Tue, Aug-22-06, 12:08
This stuff is truly a godsend! Now I don't need to buy low carb breads/wraps/pitas... I can make my own!

Berrybums5
Tue, Aug-22-06, 12:28
The Flax? Health Food store, GNC? There are alot of things in the recipe section for ingred. that I have never heard of or where to find them. Thanks!

Elizellen
Tue, Aug-22-06, 13:03
In UK is it more likely to be available in a Health food store, but from these boards I read it is often found on the shelves in the baking sections of ordinary USA supermarkets as well. They seem to sell both the seeds and the preground 'flour'. If already ground it is best to keep frozen or refrigerated as it can go rancid in time otherwise.

chachinga
Tue, Aug-22-06, 13:59
Sometimes its in the laxatives section - in a fridge - as once the flaxseed is ground up, it's shelf life dramatically reduces. You can usually find the laxitive version at any drug store.

Bon
Thu, Aug-24-06, 10:58
OMG, I am so excited about trying this... thanks so much for sharing!

WesleyT
Thu, Aug-24-06, 12:07
Sounds great, gonna try this tomorrow
one question, can you replace the flaxthing with something else?
i really want to avoid fibre, it GIVES me problems ><
what about protein powder?

Elizellen
Fri, Aug-25-06, 02:35
I havent ever bought protein powder, so cant say - but if you do try the recipe with it do please report back here so we know if it worked!

WesleyT
Fri, Aug-25-06, 04:25
I havent ever bought protein powder, so cant say - but if you do try the recipe with it do please report back here so we know if it worked!i will, gonna try some things out :yum:

WesleyT
Sat, Aug-26-06, 01:57
made this yesterday and it tasted great!
one question, on the flaxseed it said "0 gram carbs" (in belguim we dont count fibre as carbs) did i make zero carb bread? or are there more carbs when you grind it? thx

Casandra
Sat, Aug-26-06, 03:49
Elizellen..

Just wanted to say that the bread was AMAZING...i kept going on and on about it to my family..and they even said it wasen't that bad....I can't thank you enough for posting it....

Casandra

LadyBelle
Sat, Aug-26-06, 07:53
The flaxseed isn't 0 grams, and nothing can lose grams when ground. It's only in a different form not altered. Many flax seeds already subtract the fiber, or they make the serving size so low that it gets below 1g and they can say it's low carb.

While there is alot of fiber in flax, there still is some carbs. About the only carb free foods are fat and most meats

Elizellen
Sat, Aug-26-06, 13:04
you're right ladybelle, according to my fitday software one tablespoon of seeds is 4.3 grams total less 3.1 grams fibre making a net carb count of 1.2 per tablespoonsworth.

Elizellen
Sat, Aug-26-06, 13:06
Elizellen..

Just wanted to say that the bread was AMAZING...i kept going on and on about it to my family..and they even said it wasen't that bad....I can't thank you enough for posting it....

CasandraGlad you (and they) liked it!
It was one reason I was able to stick to induction for a year and a half without cheating before moving to OWL!!

Casandra
Sun, Aug-27-06, 06:11
Elizellen,

So u consumed it regularly on induction???
I made it yesturday..and loved it...so i had some this morning as well..BUTTTT....it didn't settle well with me..I am extremely bloated....did u suffer from that as well..???

CAsandra

WesleyT
Sun, Aug-27-06, 11:54
Elizellen,

I made it yesturday..and loved it...so i had some this morning as well..BUTTTT....it didn't settle well with me..I am extremely bloated....did u suffer from that as well..???

CAsandra
thats because of the fibre, i used to have that too before i went low carb with all bran and stuff like that

Elizellen
Sun, Aug-27-06, 15:08
Elizellen,

CAsandra
I only ever had a quarter of the whole recipe at one meal, and only once a day too. (so no more than one tablespoonsworth of flax)
I noticed no bad effects from it at all.

ddaniels
Sun, Aug-27-06, 19:54
I finally made this and......wow!!!! I love it and am already formulating some possible adaptations of the recipe!

But, what about this "bloating" thing? Are people supposed to keep their flax consumption down to 1 tabl./day?

deirdra
Sun, Aug-27-06, 20:49
Some people can only handle 1T of flax in the beginning, but most can work up to 2-4T per day.

Elizellen
Mon, Aug-28-06, 01:54
Remember on Atkins induction that flax/linseed is only allowed under the 'to avoid/cure constipation rule' along with psyllium husks and wheat bran!!
It is not a 'regular ingredient' until you are at the seeds/nuts level/rung of OWL phase!

ddaniels
Mon, Aug-28-06, 06:39
Some people can only handle 1T of flax in the beginning, but most can work up to 2-4T per day.

Remember on Atkins induction that flax/linseed is only allowed under the 'to avoid/cure constipation rule' along with psyllium husks and wheat bran!!
It is not a 'regular ingredient' until you are at the seeds/nuts level/rung of OWL phase!

Thanks- we'll have to see how my tummy handles it. I made some last night and had about a third of it then. I used a third to make french toast this morning. (What a really quick and yummy way to make french toast!)

I'm at goal, so I've already gone through all the OWL rungs. It's fun to have this new food idea to play with!

:wave: Debbie

flamingo55
Tue, Sep-19-06, 11:49
This looks good, just bumping it up where i can find it again!

hartpark
Thu, Sep-21-06, 02:08
I'm want to try this but am confused as to what flax seed I should be buying. The only stuff I can find i the UK is cold milled flax seed. Does cold milled mean that it is already ground, or do I need to grind it further to make it the texture of flour?

flamingo55
Thu, Sep-21-06, 06:10
I don't know for sure, but i'd think it would say "ground" flax seed on the package. They label it that way here. I've seen people say they grind the whole seeds in a cheap coffee grinder if they buy the whole type and store it in the freezer. Both ground and unground are sold in the stores here so I'm gonna take the easy way out when I get around to making this.

rightnow
Thu, Sep-21-06, 06:46
Just look at the package. If it looks like coffee AFTER grinding, it's ground. If it looks like little seeds, it's not ground. You want it ground. If that helps!

Elizellen
Thu, Sep-21-06, 09:15
Rightnow is right!
If it looks like birdseed then you need to grind it.

But if it is described as being 'milled' I assume it will have been ground already.

I havent been able to find a ready-ground supply cheaper than the seeds, so still grind my own as I go.

Apparently if you do buy the ready ground stuff it will need keeping in the fridge or freezer as it goes rancid quickly.

rightnow
Thu, Sep-28-06, 12:09
Wow! Alrighty. Using Bob's Red Mill 'ground golden flax meal' (http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=447) - which I might add is like a year old and was not refrigerated BUT was in airtight bags inside a closed box all that time, and it seems ok -- I made this recipe.

Modifications:

1 - I used only one (large, not medium) egg, and added 1 tsp sour cream and 1 Tbsp cream cheese to replace that.

(Trivia: I had the idea that butter and cream cheese could go in the same little tiny bowl to soften/melt. HAHAHA. In a few seconds, the cream cheese had melted to nearly nothing and was making massive noise popping from the fat, and the butter was nearly unaffected.)

2 - I added 1/2 tsp caraway seed. I love Rye bread and I thought that would help it taste like that. (USDA says 1/2 tsp caraway seed has 0.52 carbs and 0.4 fiber.)

3 - My microwave chronically overcooks everything to tasteless so, in my worry, I cooked it in 15 second increments to 2:25 and finally stopped, worried I'd overdo it. It was done but it wasn't very firm (it was fine for spreadable but had to be held underneath, carefully) so I think next time I will do it to 2:45 and see if I can get to 3 minutes without killing it.

As a note, I cooked it in a 6 inch round clear plastic bowl of the kind you buy to store things in.

It came out rather thin, by which I mean, I think I'd need to use my meat slicer to get four slices from this let alone 8. Perhaps that is the lack of a second egg?? If I sliced it the other direction (vertically) they'd only be an inch tall. So I just sliced it in half longways.

I mean, with a fragment added for the sourcream/creamcheese and caraway -- that is still only like 2 carbs and and 10g protein, I'm not complaining.

My family has a spread we call "toastez" spread, which is colby-jack mix, shredded finely, some grated fresh garlic to taste (we worship it so we use way more than most would), and enough mayo to mix that together into a slightly creamy but still kinda thick (you could almost sculpt it) spread. (If you like garlic and cheese you'll like it but if you're not into garlic forget it, it's yucky without it.) We usually serve this on toast with hot peppers very-thin sliced on the top (thai and cayenne and jalapeno and hot banana being faves, but we also use various sweet peppers).

I put a dose of toastez spread and peppers on one these slices.

It was GREAT! Holy cats! I was thinking wow, I was ready to be happy if it was even EDIBLE let alone good, but I was amazed that it really tasted good! full stars rating!

(Mind you, I would eat a volkswagon if it had toastez spread, so maybe you should let that temper how seriously you take me...)

Actually we have another spread we commonly use, if anybody's interested. You take cooked chicken and shred or chop it, add pesto and mix it up, add chopped peppers and a little extra parmesan. Mix the quantities so the final result is spoonable but thick. Spread some on bread (LC of course!) and sprinkle a little mozarella (or shredded parmesan) on the top and put it in a toaster oven (or equivalent) for about 10 minutes. It's ridiculously yummy.

DiGiorno makes the best brand of pesto I've ever had. I've had many. Might be good to make it at home for LC purposes though, though I admit we've never gotten close to the quality of their taste.

THANK YOU for posting this recipe! This rocks!

sldeal
Sat, Sep-30-06, 17:45
Can someone tell me where I can find flax seed? This bread sounds good and I'm dying to try it. Can I use soy four instead? :q:

Kristine
Sat, Sep-30-06, 19:33
Hi - it would help if you filled out the 'location' field of your profile, since this is an international forum. :thup: Here in Ontario, it's widely available and cheap at a chain called Bulk Barn.

I really doubt soy flour would be a good substitute. :( As a rule of thumb, I never make substitutions unless I'm confident that the ingredients do the same thing, like, say, two different sweeteners. You're better off looking for a soy flour based bread recipe.

IslandGirl
Sun, Oct-01-06, 00:35
Can someone tell me where I can find flax seed? This bread sounds good and I'm dying to try it. Can I use soy four instead? :q:

...then it wouldn't be flax bread, it would be soy bread... ;)

rightnow
Sun, Oct-01-06, 08:40
OK, using the great recipe provided, I posted earlier that I'd made some caraway-seed bread (Rye-ish) I'd used for yummy stuff. Can't wait to get my 'rye-flavoring' to add to the mix and try that again!

This morning I decided to try an experiment. I need more protein and more calories than I am getting, I can't eat meat all the time or eat as often as I should, so I was hoping to get both 'up' by modifying it a bit.

(Might have gone slightly overboard on the cals. Those on lower-cal diets could replace some butter with egg or even cottage cheese or something and add an extra Tbsp of protein powder and I bet that would work out with a little fussing.)

Since I am rather like I Love Lucy in the kitchen--a clutz who is lucky anything edible results (I'm a true shame to my Virgo x4 heritage)--this sort of evolved (or devolved) into what you see below.

CAVEATS:

The below was decently textured for pancake batter for the first pour-- because I was quick. By the second round, it had thickened up a LOT. By the third, the batter was nearly as firm as mashed potatoes! The extra butter and egg over the original recipe (top of thread) were my attempts to mellow out the thickness, and it was STILL like that. I finally just used it as-is and it didn't hurt anything... didn't seem to have any problem cooking through, the way normal pancakes would at that density. So if you try this, maybe be prepared to use more liquids. Or something.

I thought the sweetness was just right, but my protein powder is quite sweet on its own, so you might want to experiment with that element.

I reduced the baking soda to save carbs only to realize after it has no carbs even in a whole tsp. Doh. So that could be increased without harm, however, that stuff ain't doing much fluff-help with protein powder in the mix I don't think!

Flax Protein Pancakes

2 oz (half stick) of butter (cal 407 fat 46 carb 0 fib 0 prot 0)

3 eggs, large I think (cal 252 fat 18 carb 2* fib 0 prot 18) *~.6-.7ea

5 Tbsp flax meal (cal 200 fat 14 carb 6 fib 6 prot 3)

1/4 tsp baking soda (0 everything, even at 1tsp)

2 Tbsp protein powder (measured at 3 Tbsp per 'scoop')
1scoop of Designer Whey French Vanilla> cal 90 fat 1.5 carb 2 fib .5 prot 17.5
so 2/3 of that> cal 60 fat .5 carb .67 prot fib .17 prot 5.83)
(I cannot guarantee other proteins are edible this way.)

~1tsp 'apple pie spice' (which is cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice blended) (I gave it 2 carbs because cinnamon has that for 1 tsp, 6 cal)

1 tsp fiberfit (old formula = equiv 4.5 tsp sweet) (cal 4 fat 0 carb 1 fib 1 prot 0)

Assuming I had poured this all before it thickened like crazy, I think it would have made about six, 6" pancakes... that's an estimate. I call this "4 pancakes" for estimating serving counts just to be on the safe side.

Recipe Totals: Cal 929 Fat 78.5 Carb 11.67 Fiber 7.17 ECC 4.5 Prot 26.83

1/4: Cal 232 Fat 20 Carb 2.92 Fiber 1.8 ECC 1.12 Prot 6.7

NOW for the results.

I put butter on the first one and let it get melty and smeared it around a bit and then tasted it, to see if I needed to have more/less sweetener, or spice, or whatever, so I could experiment with each pancake.

It was GOOD! Wow! It really was reminiscent of some buckwheat-like kind of food. It was not 'light and fluffy' at all -- mostly thanks to the protein powder I added! -- but so what.

I had intended to melt butter, use maple syrup and some thickener, or maybe just to use my raspberry SF fruit topping or something.

But my mouth was so happy about the taste that it scarfed the whole first pancake down. My hand helped by just picking it up and stuffing it in. Those two! Ya just gotta keep an eye on em!

So on the second one, much thickened, this one I really did intend to put some kind of yummy stuff, maybe apricot SF jam (yum!!) on, especially given it was much thicker, but alas. My hand and my mouth conspired to eat it again!

That was about half the recipe; the third Waaaay overthick pancake was much larger as well.

So the third one finished, but...

... I couldn't eat it. I fully intended. But I had a hard time eating the last few bites of the second one for that matter.

It isn't just that there's a decent dose of protein. I can happily eat a 12oz steak without blinking and be willling to eat more. I think it's that there is also a lot of fiber and a lot of fat, and the three combined really knock your appetite out, my stomach was like, "No, no! No more!"

So... if you're feeding a hungry man this might be just the food. :lol:

This was good enough that although it's more like a health food pancake than a traditional one (fairly solid, and heavy on the buckwheatish flavor), it is GOOD, and there is no reason why anybody I know even high-carb people would dislike it with the topping of their choice.

IDEAS

Because this is a different texture than normal pancakes, it doesn't "absorb" stuff (like butter) quite the way they do. A little, not as much. I was thinking it would be interesting to do a version of this that was savory, and do crispy chunks of bacon, and some fried onions/mushrooms, into the batter, add a little bit of chicken bouillion crystals and black pepper instead of the sweeter-spice, no sugar of course, though it might be hard to find a protein powder that is un-sweet enough. If you used some of the bacon/onion/mushroom and their resultant drippings, with some cream and not/starch thickener and chicken bouillion to make a gravy, that would be yummy. Then, make it in like mini-muffin pans instead of as a pancake, bake it like that, and the gravy over, I'm thinking my dad is the sort who would love that kind of thing, a variant on the 'morning biscuit and gravy' concept. I may or may not ever try that but it sounded like an interesting idea.

This'd go well with blueberries or chopped nuts or chopped strawberries or even LC mini chocolate chips.

daisyboo
Sat, Oct-07-06, 02:15
I tried this bread last nite, so quick and delicious! thank you very much for posting the recipe, i absolutely hate the "low carb" bread with what i call the weird stuff in it, this morning i toasted some and had it with my scrambled eggs :p

daisy xxx

ndelacourt
Thu, Nov-09-06, 11:39
10 out of 10! WOW!!! I could not get over how good this is!!!

Thanks!

sldeal
Thu, Nov-09-06, 12:44
...then it wouldn't be flax bread, it would be soy bread... ;)
Point taken! :lol:

SidC
Sun, Dec-10-06, 17:08
I tried this for the first time this morning. Wow! Unbelieee-vable that you can make something that much like bread out of those ingredients - and it's both good and fast, to boot!! I'm going to need a lot more ground flax in the future :yum:

I saw one mention of doubling the recipe and doing it in a 5x9 container - has anyone else experimented with even bigger batches?

waywardsis
Thu, Jan-18-07, 15:29
Just made this, haven't tried it yet...noticed the OP said the recipe made her 8 slices??? Did anyone else get 8 slices from this? I'm looking at mine and thinking 2, tops.

mslaster
Thu, Jan-18-07, 16:05
Does it taste like real bread?

penelope
Thu, Jan-18-07, 16:16
Nothing taste like real bread. You have to come to term with this fact.

HalfPass
Sat, Jan-20-07, 08:18
After reading about versions of this recipe I finally tryed a muffin version..two eggs, spenda, baking powder, flax seed, wheat bran and a little butter. It was SO good..I am really looking forward to trying other versions, especially a savory version. Rightnows pancake version is sounding really good two. I buy a low carb bread, but this version is lower and tastes much better :-)

mslaster
Sat, Jan-20-07, 16:13
After reading about versions of this recipe I finally tryed a muffin version..two eggs, spenda, baking powder, flax seed, wheat bran and a little butter. It was SO good..I am really looking forward to trying other versions, especially a savory version. Rightnows pancake version is sounding really good two. I buy a low carb bread, but this version is lower and tastes much better :-)

Half-pass your version sounds really good- could you please post the exact amounts. I cook by recipes. I haven't quite mastered a "little of this and a little of that" yet to get a perferct recipe. I am still learning.

HalfPass
Sun, Jan-21-07, 18:16
Sorry, I did not measure amounts and you don't seem to need to with the recipe. Tonight I made a savory version, omitting the splenda and adding some parm cheese and some southwestern seasoning. It was really good and I think that if I let it cool and sliced it ....it would be great for sandwiches. This is really a great idea..I like it much better than the expensive low carb bread I sometimes buy and I think that it would be healthier too.
If you go back in the thread there are some posts that incluse some measurements..I honestly just dumped ingredients in.

stacianbob
Sat, Feb-10-07, 00:36
I wouldn't substitute ANYTHING for the flax meal here - ground flax has some very interesting properties when it is wet and gets heated. It is almost like gluten. That's why some recipes that don't make sense on paper (or, online) turn out great from the oven.....because the flax seed meal changes, glues, stretches, etc.

Good luck!

Stacey

penelope
Sat, Feb-10-07, 12:30
Flax bread I make Hamburger size buns with this. This is a recipe I copied from a recipe section.
It is not my own invention.
I usually sprinkle Caraway seeds on top but my next batch, just for a change, I will sprinkle sesame seeds because it smells so good in the toaster. I do not ever use any sweetening.
I do freeze them, each wrapped individually.
FLAX SANDWICH BUNS
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flax meal
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon granular Splenda ??????
1/2-1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons dry minced onion
3 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
Put the dry minced onion in a small bowl and add just enough water to moisten; let stand until softened. Mix dry ingredients; add onions, eggs, water and oil. Pour batter into 6 greased muffin top pans. Bake at 325º 15-20 minutes. To serve, split buns horizontally to make two halves using a long, thin knife.
Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen
Per Serving: 140 Calories; 11g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

Cissie_12
Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:15
Question on this recipe. Can I use the flax seed I have on hand to make it? I read somewhere to grind it but I want to double check before wasting all these ingredients.

Thanks,

Cissie

penelope
Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:23
You always have to grind it. That is what turns it into a flour like substance.

Cissie_12
Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:27
Okay I'll try it then. What I have never called to be ground for the other recipes I have made so I wasn't sure if it's the same thing or not.

Thanks

Cissie_12
Fri, Feb-16-07, 14:26
Below is the recipe from the beginning of this thread... My question (before trying to make it), how on earth could you get 8 slices out of it? Also, how could this equal out to the cal. and carbs. listed??

Anyone who has made this please help me out! lol What I have is flaxseed meal and I am going to put it into my magic bullet to make it into flour hopefully.

Sorry for asking so many questions but lately I've made some recipes that turned out so nasty that I totally wasted the ingredients which as we all know are pretty expensive!

Cissie

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax

I havent tried the bake mixes so dont know how like real bread they are but I find this makes a fairly closetextured bread that tastes to me like wholemeal bread.

On another board a member suggested you could add parmesan and some herbs to make a savoury loaf but I havent tried it yet.

Total fat 48 gms
Protein 20 gms

penelope
Fri, Feb-16-07, 15:08
She measured the flax seeds as 4 TBS and she put them into a coffee grinder, when done it give about 1/2cup plus 2 TBS of ground flax powder.
Personally I just fill my coffee grinder until it covers the blades and it gives me the approximate amount.

It depends on the size of your container. I make mine in a 4 cup measuring plastic mug, and it poof over the top.

Elizellen
Fri, Feb-16-07, 17:46
My slices are fairly small, but quite filling! Usually half the recipe is enough to satisfy me with spread with butter and loads of meat inside the sandwiches.

As to the calories/carbs it will depend on the particular ingredients you are using, so use fitday.com or similar to find what your counts will be. Yours might work out more or less - you need to check to be certain.

I use medium eggs, which are 66 cals each, the butter I use has 200 calories per ounce and the flax has about 200 calories for a 1/4 cup of seeds.

Hope this helps.

Elizellen
Fri, Feb-16-07, 17:49
Personally I just fill my coffee grinder until it covers the blades and it gives me the approximate amount.We must have the same size grinder as that is exactly how high my 4 flat tablespoons are before I grind them!!

skeeweeaka
Wed, Feb-21-07, 12:15
Well I made this today with some eggs and bacon and it did hit the spot. I ate the whole thing however because I need the fiber. A lot of calories though 1/4 cup of the meal ground is 3 net carbs and 120 calories so the whole loaf was around 400 calories...

I tried it again today and I added some brown sugar substitute and salt and it really came out fabulously. I get 4 good sized slices out of this. I am using the containers that you receive with the lunch meats it makes it more like a loaf and I slice it length wise. My question is how do I keep it from getting hard until I use it again? THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE, THIS WILL DEFINITELY HELP ME TO STAY ON PLAN BECAUSE I CAN HAVE A SANDWICH!!!

LBelfiore
Thu, Feb-22-07, 12:56
Elizellen: I just made the Flax Bread recipe. I let it cool and I'm eating it with a little cinnamon on it as I write. Yummy!! Thank you so much. I love things that taste healthy.

stacianbob
Fri, Feb-23-07, 15:36
I made the recipe the other day and LOVED it. I am allergic to yeast and can't ever eat the low carb breads from the store. In fact I guess I haven't eaten bread in about 6 months....so it was an extremely enjoyable sandwich!

I used golden flaxseed meal, 2 large eggs, and I doubled the baking powder and turned my loaf into about 4 regular size slices.

Stacey

Calianna
Fri, Feb-23-07, 18:57
My question is how do I keep it from getting hard until I use it again?

I sliced my teensy little loaf, ate a couple, put the leftover slices in a zipper bag, tossed it in the freezer.

Took two slices out the next day and toasted them - delightful!

I used a mini-loaf pan for mine, and it was still only about an inch high. I'm wondering if we could get a slightly larger loaf by whipping the egg whites stiff, mixing the yolks and flax together, then folding them into the beaten egg whites before nuking?

penelope
Fri, Feb-23-07, 23:38
Why all the trouble, it is only one bun for one sandwich

Elizellen
Sat, Feb-24-07, 03:07
Why all the trouble, it is only one bun for one sandwichFor those of us on Atkins induction it is 'legal' so allows us to eat bread without diverging from the rules of our way of eating!
I notice you are on a low carb plan that probably allows one of the commercially available lowcarb breads made from nut flour or soya flour so you do not have to avoid them like we do on induction.

As to to 'all the trouble' - it takes me less than a minute to mix the ingredients and another few minutes to microwave it, so is a quick and easy recipe for me!

Elizellen
Sat, Feb-24-07, 03:10
I used a mini-loaf pan for mine, and it was still only about an inch high. I'm wondering if we could get a slightly larger loaf by whipping the egg whites stiff, mixing the yolks and flax together, then folding them into the beaten egg whites before nuking?what a good idea!! Do let us know how it turns out if you try this adaptation.

LBelfiore
Sat, Feb-24-07, 10:54
Just wanted everyone to know that I am addicted to this flax bread recipe. I made a loaf everyday and cut it in four slices. I make it in a large mug and it comes out round. I eat two slices toasted with cream cheese, cinnamon & splenda. Yummy!
So did I get the carb count right? 3 for the whole loaf?

Elizellen
Sun, Feb-25-07, 09:03
I would guess so - 3 net carbs once you deduct the fibre carbs!!

LBelfiore
Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:26
Elizellen: You can eat this bread with so many different things on it...sweet (splenda) or savory.
Thank you again for the recipe.

skeeweeaka
Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:38
Hello all...

Yes the carb count is correct. My loaf makes four good sized slices and since I started making this I have had sloppy joes and boy was I in heaven... It really helps me not feel deprived so that is why we are all so excited to be able to eat some bread that is good for me.... I am allergic to wheat so this is miraculous! And on top of the taste it is extremely quick to make....AND KEEPS ME REGULAR ALONG WITH THE MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENTS... Who could ask for more!!!

LBelfiore
Tue, Feb-27-07, 08:42
I know this is a silly question but can I eat the whole recipe? It hits the spot with a cup of coffee.

Elizellen
Tue, Feb-27-07, 14:50
If you have reached the nuts/seeds rung/level of OWL then yes!!
Make sure you have lots of water so all that fibre at once doesnt bung you up though!!

LBelfiore
Wed, Feb-28-07, 09:30
Elizellen: I have been on Atkins for 1 year and love it as a way of life. I found out the hard way that you have to drink lots of water to flush out this flax. I eat half the recipe toasted in the morning and the other half toasted at night. I make it in a pyrex cup and it gives me 4 nice slices.

skeeweeaka
Wed, Feb-28-07, 10:51
This bread is so terrific... I am currently restraining myself and eating one slice per day but this is so very much a god send...THANKS!!!!

LBelfiore
Thu, Mar-01-07, 06:58
Skeeweeaka: I'm with you! How did I do Atkins without this bread?

skeeweeaka
Thu, Mar-01-07, 07:17
I agree with you too "L." I think for most people who do low carb the problem sticking with it long-term is that we like the quick fixes that sandwiches provide. In addition, for me I need to get in more Omega 3's and more fiber and this satisfies all of those needs. I've been low carbing on and off for years now never reaching goal because I eventually go off and start eating bread again... I never tried the recipes because I thought that they would all taste like card board. This, however, is so flexible that you can add many things and customize it to fit your needs. Today I had a slice with some sugar free fruit spread, coffee, and a boiled egg. It was satisfying and healthy...and it fills me up until lunch time.... It is odd I was reading another forum and they were discussing the appetitite suppresents and wondering which ones worked... Well, I think this bread is a terrific appetite suppresant...I love oatmeal and this fills me up just like oatmeal does...and provides the same amount of fiber... Ok...enuf already lol....

LBelfiore
Fri, Mar-02-07, 07:34
Skeeweeaka: Funny you said you felt like this bread is an appetite suppressant. I've told a friend the same thing. I eat a slice in the morning and at night. I have to get going because this is morning and I didn't have my slice of flax yet, it's like a treat for me.

Mallory08
Thu, Mar-08-07, 15:17
where are the 3 carb grams coming from my baking powder says 0 carbs for 1/4 tsp.... my egg has one... and my flax meal has 4 grams of fiber...? with no other carbs... so isnt that ONE carb??? im curious how you get ur net carbs here

dumplinduo
Sat, Mar-10-07, 16:50
I am still confused. Could someone please explain what size container to nuke this in?

penelope
Sat, Mar-10-07, 16:52
I use a Ziplocs sandwich size container, maybe 4 “square.

LBelfiore
Mon, Mar-12-07, 15:00
Dumplinduo: I use a large mug (Pyrex) to cook my flax bread in.

dumplinduo
Tue, Mar-13-07, 07:04

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax

Total fat 48 gms
Protein 20 gms

I made this recipe also, but mine wasn't very thick. Maybe my container I used was too big. I only got 4 thin slices. I used an old tupperware sandwich container.

Elizellen
Tue, Mar-13-07, 12:17
The container I use is about 3" x 4"

mikeyroy
Wed, Mar-14-07, 21:40
I nuked mine on a dinner plate cause I don't have any microwavable containers that were fit for the job and I wanted to try this now! I went for 2 minutes and it came out fine, cut it 4 ways and made a grilled cheese wedge. I'm thinking pizza with this. Nuking it on the plate yielded a fairly flat surface on the top that wouldn't soak up too much sauce, and then it could go straight in the oven. I'm so much happier now.

Mallory08
Thu, Mar-15-07, 12:00
ive done your pizza idea and it is GREAT! lemme tell you i put ceasar dressing on the flax crust and added some cheeses and italian seasoning and grilled chicken! YUUMMMMY

Elizellen
Thu, Mar-15-07, 12:15
Great idea, Mike! I often add some mixed 'italian herbs' to the mixture and make a pizza base too.

Cissie_12
Thu, Mar-15-07, 12:30
dh and I love this recipe. These days I make lots of tuna, turkey, egg, and chicken salads up and pile on top of this bread then top with shredded cheese and serve sweet pickles (splenda) and sliced tomatoes on the side. Talk about good eating!! Very filling and it's so nice to have some form of bread again. Of course dh loves the fact that I'm in the kitchen making him homemade bread these days! hehe I have also made up meatball sandwiches using this bread which are good but kinda hard to eat without a fork. Any suggestions on how to make the recipe where it will hold up eating with your hands I'd appreciate. I've been making mine up really thin.

Cissie_12
Thu, Mar-15-07, 12:35
I nuked mine on a dinner plate cause I don't have any microwavable containers that were fit for the job and I wanted to try this now! I went for 2 minutes and it came out fine, cut it 4 ways and made a grilled cheese wedge. I'm thinking pizza with this. Nuking it on the plate yielded a fairly flat surface on the top that wouldn't soak up too much sauce, and then it could go straight in the oven. I'm so much happier now.

Been wondering how this would taste as a pizza crust! Think I'll give it a try tonight for dinner. Thanks.

By the way, not sure if you know it or not but you don't actually have to use a microwave container. Any glass one should work fine so long as it doesn't have any metal on it. Next time you are near a Dollar Store just pick up a simple glass casserole pan. If I could I'd email you one since I have several! lol

Hmm bet we could make some good casadias too. Your cheese wedges make me think of that.

BetsyJ64
Thu, Mar-15-07, 13:08
Been wondering how this would taste as a pizza crust! Think I'll give it a try tonight for dinner. Thanks.

By the way, not sure if you know it or not but you don't actually have to use a microwave container. Any glass one should work fine so long as it doesn't have any metal on it. Next time you are near a Dollar Store just pick up a simple glass casserole pan. If I could I'd email you one since I have several! lol

Hmm bet we could make some good casadias too. Your cheese wedges make me think of that.

Hey, Cissie, how 'bout making the pizza crust idea, cutting into wedges, putting cheese, chicken, etc. in between, sandwicing them, then putting them on the Forman Grill?! I used to make chicken cheese quesedillas all the time like this, with regular tortillas! I tell ya, we could do some damage in a kitchen together! :lol:

dumplinduo
Thu, Mar-15-07, 17:46

I did that also with a glass pie plate and used the flax flat bread recipe. It was pliable enough to fold over and I had tuna salad in it. Real tasty!!

stacianbob
Thu, Mar-15-07, 23:16
When I make this recipe, I use an old tupperware container, about 6"x 3" and I cut it into 4 regular size slices.

Stacey

dumplinduo
Fri, Mar-16-07, 06:58
When I make this recipe, I use an old tupperware container, about 6"x 3" and I cut it into 4 regular size slices.

Stacey
That's what I use also. Must be why I get less than the eight.

mikeyroy
Fri, Mar-16-07, 09:30
Foreman grill? Now that's cause for Panini Napolitan's: Mozzarella, tomatoes, chicken, green pepper sandwiched between lightly buttered flax bread on the Foreman. Best hot sandwich ever IMO.

Chubby_one
Fri, Mar-16-07, 13:56
Sorry if this is a repeat......but I found this muffin in a minute recipe and just tried it. Really good too and very similar to Ellizellen's recipe.

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of butter

1. Put dry ingredients in a coffee mug (or bowl for different shape)
2. Stir
3. Add egg and butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute on high.
Take out, slice, butter, enjoy.

Cream cheese would go nicely too. :yum:

Serving size: 1

Notes: 1.5 net carbs
Per serving: 235 calories; 18g fat (63% calories from fat); 12g protein; 11g carbs; 223mg cholesterol; 284mg sodium

Ada
Fri, Mar-16-07, 23:43
If you are on Atkins induction then you can really only use flax as an aid to constipation problems, starting with one tablespoonsworth and increasing till you are no longer having problems in the bathroom!
Once you are on the nuts/seeds level/rung of OWL you can add the 5 net carbsworth (which would be tons of the bread).

So since there are four tabelspoons of flax in the bread and the bread has 8 slices than I could have two slices a day maybe instead of one tablespoon of flax in my water? I am taking the pills right now and it says to take five to six of them twice a day to get things "going"...I would rather eat this delicious bread!! Is my rambling rational??

Ada
Fri, Mar-16-07, 23:58

How much splenda do you use in the muffin recipe?

Ada
Sat, Mar-17-07, 00:00
We must have the same size grinder as that is exactly how high my 4 flat tablespoons are before I grind them!!

I used 4 tablespoons of ground flax. Was that wrong? Should I have used less?

Elizellen
Sat, Mar-17-07, 04:52
So since there are four tabelspoons of flax in the bread and the bread has 8 slices than I could have two slices a day maybe instead of one tablespoon of flax in my water? I am taking the pills right now and it says to take five to six of them twice a day to get things "going"...I would rather eat this delicious bread!! Is my rambling rational??Absolutely!!
I developed the recipe as a way of making ground flax palatable after discovering I could not manage to gulp it down just mixed in water!!

dumplinduo
Sat, Mar-17-07, 09:30
Sorry if this is a repeat......but I found this muffin in a minute recipe and just tried it. Really good too and very similar to Ellizellen's recipe.

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of butter

1. Put dry ingredients in a coffee mug (or bowl for different shape)
2. Stir
3. Add egg and butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute on high.
Take out, slice, butter, enjoy.

Cream cheese would go nicely too. :yum:

Serving size: 1

Notes: 1.5 net carbs
Per serving: 235 calories; 18g fat (63% calories from fat); 12g protein; 11g carbs; 223mg cholesterol; 284mg sodium
That is similar to a muffin recipe I have and use all the time but it contains pecans and makes 6. I keep these on hand all the time

doreen T
Sat, Mar-17-07, 09:55
That's what I use also. Must be why I get less than the eight.
Just wanted to point out that one should NEVER use plastic storage containers in the microwave, unless they're specifically labelled as safe for such use. This goes for old margarine and yogurt containers too. These plastics will break down with the high heat, causing pvc's and other petro-chemicals to leach into your food.

Even the trays in which microwavable prepared meals are packaged are only intended for single use .. there's usually a label on the package warning they should be discarded or recycled, not reused.

Plastics that are safe for microwave use will say so on the bottom. If there's no "microwave safe" mark, please don't use it :exclm:.

Also be aware that plastics, including "microwave safe", do eventually break down over time and repeated use .. "old" containers are more likely to leach than "new". If the container has ever softened or warped from being microwaved .. definitely discard or recycle. It's no longer safe to use!

hth :rose:

Doreen

Ada
Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:12
Absolutely!!
I developed the recipe as a way of making ground flax palatable after discovering I could not manage to gulp it down just mixed in water!!

I can't thank you enough for this bread! I made it last night and I admit I ate three slices in one sitting with some butter...DELICIOUS! I had two slices toasted with some butter for breakfast with an egg and some bacon. I have been eating bacon and eggs for so long with out toast and now I don't have to settle anymore. My gran and my mom also thought it was great! I urge EVERYONE on this site to try this bread it is really amazing!

hayes
Sat, Mar-17-07, 13:29
I'm sure this has already been asked but... Where do you get the flax seed?

Elizellen
Sat, Mar-17-07, 13:54
I buy mine from a health food shop (UK) but I think in USA it is sold in ordinary supermarkets too.

hayes
Sat, Mar-17-07, 18:58
I couldn't find any at the walmart here in town. They have a supercenter in the next town, I'll try there tomorrow. If not, Someone gave me a web site I can order it from.

Calianna
Sat, Mar-17-07, 22:48
You should be able to find it on Amazon - other people have mentioned ordering it from netrition.

I find it readily available from Bob's Red Mill in the more "upscale" grocery stores in this area - the ones that have organic sections, and some that have more extensive imported food sections.

hayes
Sun, Mar-18-07, 15:27
There is another thread about this to. I'm on both of them. :)
I found some cold milled flax today at the supercenter. I made it and it turned out pretty good. It did sorta seperate, eggy on bottom and flax on top. I will try a different container to cook it in next time. I ate it strait out of the microwave. I ate about a 1/4 of the batch. Husband came along and ate the rest before I could tell him he didn't need all that flax seed. Not sure what will come of that!! I did suggest that he drink pleanty of water. :)

wannadanc
Sun, Mar-18-07, 18:47
Yep - now I understand what all the shouting is about!!!!!!!

WOWOWOWOW!

Made mine in a pyrex pie dish
Made mine like the original w/ 2 eggs, but with a packet of Splenda and 2 TB water
First 2 of 4 quarters topped w/ soft butter whilst still warm from microwave...

oooooooo la la

drinking water - don't want this to set up on me!!!!!!!

LadyC
Tue, Mar-20-07, 12:51
ok after all the rave reviews, i rushed out and bought ground flax yesterday. i made a 'loaf' this morning and fried it up into some french toast, topped it off with some 0-carb/0-sugar syrup, and thought i'd give my honest review for those out there who, like me, are WHITE bread lovers..

this is my first experience with any kind of non-white bread.

it's also my first experience with sugar-free syrup.

this stuff is pretty good!

the texture seems a bit spongey, the flavor seems almost but not quite nutty or something. maybe nutty isn't the right word, but i don't know what whole grain bread tastes like, and that's what i've seen some people here compare it to. i was really expecting to hurl after my first bite, either from the bread itself or the sugar-free syrup, or maybe both, but instead i ate four slices of french toast and really enjoyed it.

of course, it just doesn't seem natural to drink water with anything sweet... i long for a big glass of milk! (any ideas on what to drink that tastes like milk?)

wannadanc
Tue, Mar-20-07, 13:17
(any ideas on what to drink that tastes like milk?)

One day when I couldn't stand it - I poured heavy whipping cream into glass and added water ......it wasn't the "same" - but it took care of the need at that time.

HTH

Vicki

LadyC
Tue, Mar-20-07, 13:27
how much water to the whipping cream?

i was surprised the store around the corner was OUT of cream the other day, so i ended up with half-n-half. i was tempted to try drinking it this morning LOL, but i was a little afraid to... didn't want to try TOO many new things at once!

wannadanc
Tue, Mar-20-07, 14:16
how much water to the whipping cream?

i was surprised the store around the corner was OUT of cream the other day, so i ended up with half-n-half. i was tempted to try drinking it this morning LOL, but i was a little afraid to... didn't want to try TOO many new things at once!

I would guess something like 1 part cream 3 parts water ..........and I drank it right down rather than to try to savor it like I would a glass of the real stuff, which I DO love and miss greatly.

Off hand, I don't know the carb count in half/half - but think it is higher than I wanted to go when checking it at the store.

Right now I am having a yummy cream thing - 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream, one pkt Spenda, 1/2 tsp SF raspberry jello - all stirred together and eaten with a spoon. The flecks of jello give it a jazzy taste - I like this much better than letting it set up.

Amian
Wed, Mar-21-07, 21:35
Wow... this bread is the real deal! Tiny, but oh so good. And very filling.

Thanks so much for posting this. :)

SlowNStedy
Wed, Mar-21-07, 23:59
I made it in a 5 inch square Pyrex casserole dish and it made 4 thin slices of almost regular sized bread.
I've found that I like this bread better toasted. With butter. And garlic.
Or as part of a BLT. Being a sandwich fiend as I am, I gotta have one every now and then, and this bread totally works.

ImOnMyWay
Sat, Apr-07-07, 10:33
Not bad. I made it in a souffle dish since I didn't have one of those disposable plastic thingies available. It came out round and easy to remove.

I sliced it lengthwise with a serrated knife into three slices, but the third slice had a hole in the middle. So I toasted it and put on cream cheese on my "bagel".

Well, folks, it's still not bread, its eggy, but it's a helluva lot less messy and much quicker to make than Diet Revolution Rolls (pulling out the mixer, whipping egg whites, etc.), and it satisfies my tummy. I'll try the rest of it in open-faced sandwiches with something.

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax

Total fat 48 gms
Protein 20 gms

ImOnMyWay
Sat, Apr-07-07, 20:38
I tried the rest of the recipe another way, and it was much improved: a slice of "bread", toasted, spread with dijon mustard, mayo, and a good handful of shredded cheese, then broiled, served with sliced tomato. Awesome.

LBelfiore
Sun, Apr-08-07, 05:22
I noticed a lot of people said it was eggy so I decided to try a variation and it worked...use one egg. It comes out a little smaller with less egg taste.

athena11
Sun, Apr-08-07, 05:49
I tried the rest of the recipe another way, and it was much improved: a slice of "bread", toasted, spread with dijon mustard, mayo, and a good handful of shredded cheese, then broiled, served with sliced tomato. Awesome.

sounds terrific!

MelodyInTx
Sun, Apr-08-07, 23:08
I was doubtful about this recipe but I tried it and found that I really like it.
It is so quick and easy to do.
I have it with my breakfast- a slice of quiche, and a slice of flax bread with cream cheese. Yum!

LBelfiore
Tue, Apr-10-07, 10:05
I can't do without this bread. It is so yummy and nutritious!!

MelodyInTx
Wed, Apr-11-07, 07:57
I can't do without this bread. It is so yummy and nutritious!!

I like the yummy, the nutritious however is such a seller for me. As generally yummy and nutritious do not go together in this case they do.

SlowNStedy
Wed, Apr-11-07, 11:47
I noticed a lot of people said it was eggy so I decided to try a variation and it worked...use one egg. It comes out a little smaller with less egg taste.
I like it like this. Definitely less eggy, more grainy. I also reduced my cooking time from 3 minutes to 2 when making it this way.
A piece of this bread topped with some avocado and a slice of cheese, popped into the mic. for a few seconds to melt.....Delish.

janmaree
Tue, Apr-17-07, 07:25
I'd like to add a word of thanks for this recipe, I've made it several times now and it works really well. I bake it in a rectangular glass butter dish and it comes out perfectly. When I'm grinding my flax seeds, I add a tbsp each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds just before the end and it gives the bread a really nice flavour, plus they're good for us. I know they change the carb count but I cut back elsewhere to make up for it. I like this bread toasted best and even made cinnamon toast with butter, and a sprinkling of both cinnamon and Splenda. It was very good and helped dispel those "I'm feeling hard done by" devils on my shoulder! Thanks again for sharing with us, I'll be staying on track and you get the applause!

wannadanc
Tue, Apr-17-07, 08:08
I keep trying to figure out the "bread" part of this. I have made it and have a "pancake." Of course, that is because of the glass pie plate I use to nuke it. I cannot get to the bread part, mainly because of the cooking container, I guess. How silly am I?

Are you making anything that is "loaf like" - or are you making single slices?

Thanks for your help .......

janmaree
Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:32
Mine turns out like a miniature loaf of bread and I get about 8 little slices. I don't think it will turn out for you using a plate, it's quite a loose mixture and it needs a container with sides. My butter dish is about 6 inches long by 3 inches wide and stands about 2.5 inches high and the bread rises to the top of it. It really is worth the effort to find a more suitable baking dish, one of the most frustrating things for me on Atkins is being allowed to eat butter but having nothing to put it on!!! This bread is the solution! Good luck with it.

wannadanc
Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:42
Mine turns out like a miniature loaf of bread and I get about 8 little slices. I don't think it will turn out for you using a plate, it's quite a loose mixture and it needs a container with sides. My butter dish is about 6 inches long by 3 inches wide and stands about 2.5 inches high and the bread rises to the top of it. It really is worth the effort to find a more suitable baking dish, one of the most frustrating things for me on Atkins is being allowed to eat butter but having nothing to put it on!!! This bread is the solution! Good luck with it.

OK - I get it ............ I have a couple things that would work .........it is amazing how one can get stuck on such a basic concept ......THANKS! :p :D

BetsyJ64
Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:53
I make mine in a square microwave safe bowl I got at Target, and it makes two perfect slices like real sandwich bread. Great for the flax pizza too.

SlowNStedy
Tue, Apr-17-07, 11:38
I keep trying to figure out the "bread" part of this. I have made it and have a "pancake." Of course, that is because of the glass pie plate I use to nuke it. I cannot get to the bread part, mainly because of the cooking container, I guess.
Try it even in a regular cereal bowl. If you use one egg instead of two it comes out to be 2 thin slices. If you use 2 eggs, you should be able to get 3-4 really thin ones.

Deidrasue
Mon, May-28-07, 19:49
I made the flax bread this evening and the taste - especially with butter, splenda and cinnamon is great. However, I have some questions.
First of all, I need a turntable in my microwave - get one tomorrow - but questions about this bread.
Do you use heaping tablespoons of the flaxseed flour? And is it supposed to "fall" after you take it out of the microwave?
My bread was a little smaller than my sandwich glad container - but only about 5/8" thick after I took it out.
Hard to see how this can be bread - unless I did something wrong?
Would love to hear a little more about it.
Thanks,
Deidra

LStump
Mon, May-28-07, 22:11
Yep, mine fell after it came out of the microwave, too. I attributed that to the heat (which takes up space, molecules moving around and bumping into each other and when they cool, they don't move anymore and get closer together... The only thing I learned in Chemistry class, LOL) leaving the bread. But, it has more of a bread-like consistency (okay, I think it has 100% bread consistency, just thicker and fuller) so its like bread for people who REALLY miss it. I try to level the TB as much as I can when putting it into the glad container but not exact. After I cut it, it was pretty thin and I thought that I could double the recipe so it would be more like a slice of bread. Its like, a little more than half a slice or bread and fills up the container more with doubling the recipe. I eat it in the mornings with whipped cream made with Splenda or I eat it for dessert with melted butter, Splenda, and cinnamon (YUMMY!). I prefer it to the Rev Rolls because its more bread like, and I could make mini sandwiches out of them, now that I think of it.

Deidrasue
Tue, May-29-07, 04:59
Ok - after reading all the other postings (which I should have done before I posted my 'thin' question) I think I have it figured out.
It really is tasty and will do very well as pizza crust, toast with all kinds of flavorings - can't wait to experiment.
I sprayed my bowl with non-stick spray. Do I need to? thinking with all the butter I may not need to?
Also - going to change the shape and size of the container to rectangle so I can have a bread shape piece! It's the silly things that get you, isn't it? LOL
Thank you so much - I'll mix a little up this morn before work - and think of you all on my way.
This is such a wonderful break from "no bread"!
Have a great week, everyone............ off to the scales!
Deidra

melloyello
Tue, Jun-12-07, 15:08
How long is this bread good for, if kept in the refrigerator?
(Or do you store it in the pantry instead?)

LStump
Tue, Jun-12-07, 20:12
Mine kept for 2 weeks before I finally finished it.

ElleH
Thu, Jun-14-07, 10:35
From Post #1 of this thread:

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax

Total fat 48 gms
Protein 20 gms

I tried this today from the very first post, to see how I'd like it.

I find that microwaved cakes/breads aren't to my liking, so I baked it in the oven in a disposable mini-loaf pan for about 15 minutes at 375. After cooling slightly on a wire rack, I sliced it into 4 slices, lengthwise. I saw some references to the bread falling after microwaving...mine did not fall, it rose fairly nicely and didn't have the wet-density (kitchen-sponge texture) of the microwave flax bread I tried before.

I will say that I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED with this as a basic recipe! Very bread-like! I was stunned at how it actually looks and has the mouth feel of bread.

I didn't like it with just butter on it, but it was just lovely with a little Wallden Farms Apple Butter and WF Orange Marmalade!

As usual, I see great possibilities for this for sweets, however, as a savory bread, it's definitely lacking "something" for me. I may try some variations for savories and see if I can come up with something that will suit me, and look through this thread, too.

I can say that now that I've tasted this, I won't be using almond meal for my cakes any more! Almonds give me rebound hunger, make me lose ketosis, and have more carbs anyway! :)

When I plugged this into myplan (which agreed with my package of flax meal), however, I came up with

480 calories
42g fat
10.3 - 7.3 fiber, net carbs 3g
18 protein

No biggie, I guess, the net carbs are the same. Fit day did show almost twice as many carbs for the flax seeds. I'm going to go with what was on my package of Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal...

Anyway, VERY NICE RECIPE. I'm really glad I tried it! Thanks, Elizellen.

Elizellen
Thu, Jun-14-07, 13:24
Glad you liked it Elle!

I tend to oven-bake my flax breads and cakes nowadays and the texture is better I agree.

LadyBelle
Thu, Jun-14-07, 15:06
"No biggie, I guess, the net carbs are the same. Fit day did show almost twice as many carbs for the flax seeds. I'm going to go with what was on my package of Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal..."

For some reason flax mill and flax seeds are packaged with info that says 0, or close to 0 carbs. This looks like one of those things they may subtract the fiber from, and list the net carbs as the total carb amount. Fitday and USDA both list flax as having carbs if I remember.

pesky15
Wed, Aug-08-07, 19:48
Oh my! This bread is so good. I love it. I'm just worried about eating the whole thing.

shy__anne
Sat, Aug-11-07, 11:41
I sliced it and cut it into chunks, fried it in a little butter with garlic salt and made croûtons for Cesar salad! YUM!!!

Elizellen
Sun, Aug-12-07, 10:43
Great idea!! I must try that next time I make caesar salad :agree:

SlowNStedy
Mon, Aug-13-07, 13:57
That sounds really good!!!
::runs off to immediately try this::

cdjohnson
Tue, Aug-14-07, 12:40
I was very skeptical about this recipe. I decided to make it last night. It was really good and did give my mouth the feel of "bread". This morning I decided to try something different with it. I added some cinnamon and a packet of Splenda to the mixture. When it was done, I cut it into two slices and drizzled some melted butter over it. It was delicious!!

I can't wait to see what other types of things I can put in it to make it taste differently.

chrisgil10
Sat, Aug-25-07, 17:42
O M G I made this bread just tonight i doubled the recipe and put it in a disposable loaf pan baked it in my oven like 30 min on 375. it came out the size fo a pound cake I was able to slice it into 14 thin slices. i tried my first slice with only butter fresh from the oven and my second soon after with salmon cream cheese and it was great. I have never eaten flax before but I must say it was so good. I am gonna freeze the rest for later.
I will only eat this as a treat or a need (bread need you know)
not every day or even every week since I can see myself eating way to much to keep it good for me...lol

Deanna3012
Tue, Sep-11-07, 05:46
I just made this last night, was very good. I am a little confused on the size of plastic container though, I used a square one about 4 x 4 , is quite deep . The bread rose a little , but only about 2 inches if that , so i just sliced in like fingers...I dont know how to get 8 slices out of this though. I guess it must be in the size of container. can anyone help on this ...so quick and useful I want to make again

CNYMom
Mon, Oct-01-07, 19:07
Hmmm... I tried this tonight, and it came out as hard as a rock, completely inedible. Obviously, I did something wrong, still trying to figure out what. I'm going to try it again and monitor the microwaving.

I am not an expert in the kitchen, but I am far from a novice, so I apparently misread something.

Ok, I just made it again... once again, inedible, and didn't rise much at all. I did use 1 large egg, and I used my baking powder the other day and what I made then rose, so I don't think it's that... I am baffled.

Robin

LBelfiore
Tue, Oct-02-07, 06:31
CNYMom: Your microwave could be a strong one. The bread is awesome but I changed a few things. Try this.....
8 TBSP. Flax meal
2 eggs
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Melted Butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
Mix all together
Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Enjoy!
I love mine toasted w/cream cheese and berries on top.

CNYMom
Tue, Oct-02-07, 06:36
I'll try that when I get home, thanks. It is a fairly strong microwave, so I wouldn't be surprised.

As a test of the flax seed, eggs, and baking powder, I made a chocolate lava muffin later on, and it came out fine. That only gets cooked for a minute, though.

Robin

LBelfiore
Tue, Oct-02-07, 06:38
Don't forget it's not flaxseed but flax-meal.

cmoFL
Tue, Oct-02-07, 06:46
Hmmm... I tried this tonight, and it came out as hard as a rock, completely inedible. Obviously, I did something wrong, still trying to figure out what. I'm going to try it again and monitor the microwaving. Robin
This only took 1 minute in my microwave... as soon as it puffs up in the center take it out.. Then I toasted it for a minute so it was more like toast.. :yum:

misia
Mon, Oct-22-07, 20:39
Has anyone toasted this bread in a regular toaster? Mine turned out a bit greasy and I'm worried about burning the house down!

Elizellen
Tue, Oct-23-07, 02:04
I dont have a toaster, so put mine under the grill.

LBelfiore
Tue, Oct-23-07, 06:27
Misia: I always toast my flax bread, yummy! It's my favorite way to eat it with cream cheese and sliced strawberries on top.

alsmez
Thu, Nov-01-07, 09:11
I tried this today with 5T. flax and 2 jumbo eggs, plus a dash of vinegar to help the baking powder do its thing. It was fine fresh from the micro (only took 2 mins), but it was very tasty when fried in a pan - it got nice and crisp and took on the flavor of the bacon grease! My flaxmeal (Bob's Redmill) has a slightly bitter taste, though - I think next time I might add another dash of vinegar and a tiny bit of splenda to help even out the bitterness. This is promising though - and all that fiber was REALLY helpful this morning if you know what I mean!!!!!

Elizellen
Thu, Nov-01-07, 15:04
I am glad you enjoyed your flax bread!

I havent heard of using vinegar as a raising agent.

LBelfiore
Fri, Nov-02-07, 05:47
To make my flax bread I use:
8 Tbsp. flaxmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. butter
2 large eggs
mix and put in a large cup and microwave for 2 minutes. Perfect!

penelope
Fri, Nov-02-07, 09:13
I tried this today with 5T. flax and 2 jumbo eggs, plus a dash of vinegar to help the baking powder do its thing. It was fine fresh from the micro (only took 2 mins), but it was very tasty when fried in a pan - it got nice and crisp and took on the flavor of the bacon grease! My flaxmeal (Bob's Redmill) has a slightly bitter taste, though - I think next time I might add another dash of vinegar and a tiny bit of splenda to help even out the bitterness.
I find that the gold flax seeds are milder with no bitterness. Is it flaxmeal or flax cereal?
I am not sure but could there be some Soya in your flax cereal? I find that Soya is bitter.

LBelfiore
Sat, Nov-03-07, 07:41
CNYMom: I also forgot to say that I use 2 pkgs of splenda in the mix. It seems to give it a mild sweet taste.

judlee
Sat, Nov-03-07, 10:58
Happy--happy---happy. I made this for the first time today and, as everyone else has said, it is amazing! Now I know I can stick with this WOE. Bread is the only thing I have been really missing and this fills that need.

The only problem I had was that I loved it so much I ate the whole thing! Two slices with butter and the other two with whipped cream cheese. It's unlikely I will eat anything else today!

Now I'm going to get creative and try some of the other suggestions and variations.

Thank you so much to the genius who "invented" this bread and to those who have taken the time to experiment and share all the creative ways this can be made.

Natkins
Thu, Nov-08-07, 22:10
She measured the flax seeds as 4 TBS and she put them into a coffee grinder, when done it give about 1/2cup plus 2 TBS of ground flax powder..

So, if I am using already ground flaxseed meal, then I should use 1/2 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons? Not 4 Tablespoons, right?

Is this what others are doing?

Sophia1
Thu, Nov-08-07, 22:29
My recipe tastes like a banana nut muffin.

1 tsp. butter
1/4 cup ground flax
1 egg
1 Tbs Davinci vanilla syrup or hazelnut flavor
1 packet of stevia
1/4 tsp. baking powder
a few drops of banana extract
sometimes a few chopped nuts
sprinkle of cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg
microwave for 1 min.

LBelfiore
Fri, Nov-09-07, 06:43
Hi everyone! I changed the recipe and it was fine.
8 Tbsp. flaxmeal (1/2 cup)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
2 pkgs. splenda
I skipped the butter
Mix and put in a corning wear cup and microwave for 2 minutes.
It is fantastic thanks to Elizellen who gave us the original recipe.
I sometimes just poor it on a dinner plate and microwave and it turns out like a thin pancake. This recipe is great! And thank you again Elizellen.

Cream
Sat, Nov-24-07, 07:59
Elizellen,
Another thankful user of this recipe here.
I tried it today. My container must have been a bit too big, as it came out pretty flat, suitable for maybe 3 slices. Looked pretty dreadful (a big soggy and eggy), so I didnt try it straight away. I put it in the fridge instead. I just pulled it out again, braving the thought of tasting it and it felt more solid and dry.
It had the texture of a day old bread. Perfect.
And the taste was good too. Or, it didnt have bad taste at all, which is my usual fear with LC baking.

Next time I will bake it in the oven and make enough to freeze the slices.
Thank you.

Elizellen
Sat, Nov-24-07, 14:47
I sometimes just poor it on a dinner plate and microwave and it turns out like a thin pancake. Have you tried using it as a pizza base after cooking it like that?
I often cook a flat pancake and then turn it out onto a pizza oven dish (so the firmer surface is now on the bottom and add pizza toppings and finish off under the grill!

LBelfiore
Sun, Nov-25-07, 06:39
Elizellen: I never tried to use the bread as a flax pizza. Wow that sounds good! But one question....how would the bread get off the plate? Mine seems to sick.

Lian
Sun, Nov-25-07, 07:14
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/most_awesome_pizza_crust.html
this has helped me alot..

lisabinil
Sun, Nov-25-07, 08:51
Elizellen: I never tried to use the bread as a flax pizza. Wow that sounds good! But one question....how would the bread get off the plate? Mine seems to sick.

Spray your plate with Pam.

LBelfiore
Mon, Nov-26-07, 07:32
lisabinil: can you believe the questions I ask? Of course use Pam. hahaha Thanks so much!

alsmez
Sun, Dec-16-07, 09:03
I've tweaked this a bit - I now use:

6T. flax meal
2 jumbo eggs
1T. melted butter
pinch baking powder
dash white vinegar

Melt the butter in a pie plate and swirl to coat. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Remove from microwave and cut into 8 wedges, then fry wedges in butter or bacon grease until very dark and crisp. They look just like toast points and taste AMAZING with eggs.

I am VERY interested in trying this out as a pizza crust - thanks for the suggestion!

rightnow
Sun, Dec-16-07, 09:32
I've had some flax bread before, alas I don't recall the exact recipe (I think it was a flax 'bowl muffin' recipe here on the recipe forum somewhere) and liked it fine. I recently had the pizza crust recipe linked above there and thought it was vile. Not sure why. My kid and I ate the pizza toppings off and went looking for more food as we didn't like the crust at all. I think some of this stuff must require experimentation.

creaky
Sat, Dec-22-07, 15:54
I'm so happy I found this recipe. Finally something that is bread like. I made it with half butter and half coconut oil. I put some cream cheese on it. I could see how it would make a great tuna fish sandwich or grilled cheese.

annasophia
Sat, Dec-22-07, 17:15
i used to make this ages ago, cant remember if it stalled me or not, but it made a great roll for a big beefburger with onions and cheese..hmmm oooh and mayo!

creaky
Sun, Dec-23-07, 15:17
Made this again. Changes this time: 3 eggs, no baking powder (forgot it), 1finely chopped slice of bacon , 3 finely chopped broccoli florets, 2-3 oz of cheese and some italian seasoning. Very good.

Elizellen
Tue, Dec-25-07, 04:41
That does sound good, Creaky!
What was the consistency without the baking powder?

Elizellen

Elizellen

creaky
Tue, Dec-25-07, 11:56
More eggy (not egg tasting), like an omelette or baked eggs than bread like.

shy__anne
Sat, Jan-12-08, 14:40
WOW! I made this, took two slices, toasted them, put an egg fried in butter, cheese and mayo on it and made a FABULOUS fried egg sandwich. It was SO yummy. :) Thank you.

BluePants
Mon, Jan-14-08, 17:21
Im so glad I found this tread. My microwave blew just before Christmas and since I am getting a new Kitchen, I didn't want to get another microwave cause we are getting an over the stove one. Now I can back the flax bread. Thanks again, you guys are awesome like always

skeeweeaka
Fri, Feb-15-08, 21:04
This bread is a life saver.....and keeps me regular at the same time! I use olive oil instead of butter 2 T. and it comes out just as good....delicious!

Clevergirl
Tue, Apr-01-08, 06:39
But surprise! it was very, VERY impressive. :thup: I made it with 1tsp of baking powder and a dash of vinegar, as some of you had advised and it was quite soft and had an excellent, "airy", texture (but it really did look like a sponge). My microwave only needed 2.5 mins to cook it completely.
I found that we got 2 good-size slices out of it - cooked it in a small baking dish, about 6x3 and 2" high, and it was just about full after cooking, so we cut it in half horizontally, toasted it, and each had quite a nice breakfast - mine with cheese and his with peanut butter.
This is a fantastic recipie - we were skeptical, but it's a winner. :p

ssrkbc
Tue, Apr-01-08, 13:56
I made this bread this morning and LOVE it!! Finally a good tasting bread! And it only takes 3 minutes!!!

Clevergirl
Tue, Apr-01-08, 14:35
As a follow-up to my earlier post - Half of the recipie for this bread and a bit of cheese for breakfast kept me full and not the least bit hungry for lunch (a significant accomplishment). :p It will be on the menu tomorrow morning for sure.

Clevergirl
Sat, Apr-05-08, 09:30
Hi all - another update - if you like this bread, you should definitely try baking it in the oven at 375 for 12-15 mins. The texture is much nicer - absolutely bread-like, with a nice crispy brown top on the loaf, and a proper crust on the edges and bottom - I know that many of you discovered this bread ages ago, but I am so impressed - I just had to share.
:yum: :yum: :yum:

LBelfiore
Mon, Apr-07-08, 10:05
Thank you Clevergirl, I'll try baking the bread in the oven like you said. I've made it many different ways and just love it!

annemj
Mon, May-19-08, 08:52
Two questions.

Do people grease the container? Mine was so oily when I did, but it seems that it has enough butter in it already that the container may not need oil.

Has anyone tried making a full-sized loaf of this? I have some really narrow pans that I think might work for it, but wanted any help anyone could offer.

annemj
Mon, May-26-08, 13:36
Hum. I think maybe my oven is off, because the time it takes all these recipes is longer in my oven than in the recipes you guys provide.

Anyway, I cooked a full size loaf of this by making 4 times the recipe. I used a pan I normally use for gluten free breads, which is much more narrow and long than a regular pan 11 1/2 inches long by 3 1/2 inches wide. Gluten free breads tend to cave in the center. So narrow pans work better. A link to the pan I use is attached. They make some regular pans that aren't non-stick, but the cleanup on these is amazing. Love, love, love them.

http://www.matferbourgeatusa.com/catalog.asp?catid=2600&prodid=7800

I also made some hamburger buns in a muffin top tin and mini hot dog buns in an eclair tin. If I had put more dough in the muffin tins, I might have been able to get them big enough to make a single bun per muffin top, but such was not the case, and I ended up needing to use two per sandwich. I'll try it the other way next time to see if it rises sufficiently or just gets misshapen. If it keeps it shape, it should work.

The loaf cooked about 30 minutes at 375 F, and it was done in the middle. The hamburger buns and "hot dog" buns took about 15 minutes at the same temp.

I made a steak sandwich with the hamburger buns today. Yum!

revcharlie
Mon, May-26-08, 16:44
I have died and gone to heaven. I sure hope flax doesn't stall me. Baked it in the oven in a small loaf pan. Next time I will try increasing the baking powder and adding a touch of vinegar as some have suggested. Not because I didn't like the heavy bread but because I would like a slighty larger slice.

annemj
Tue, May-27-08, 19:47
You might try adding a little dough enhancer and/or xanthum gum (a tiny bit goes a long way). Gelatin helps the texture too, but I would think xanthum gum would be better at helping create air pockets out a little, as well as giving it more strength once it has the air pockets for a bigger piece. I may try this with my next loaf. If so, I will let you guys know how it worked out. Please do the same if you do it.

I forgot to mention that I did add a teaspoon of dough enhancer to my 4x the regular recipe loaf. It is soy lecithin, ground ginger and ascorbic acid.

revcharlie
Mon, Jun-02-08, 09:34
The only dough enhancer I could use here is ascorbic acid or lemon juice. Maybe I'll give it a try. When I am away I will get some xanthum gum and try that. The possibilities when you live on the edge of the world are actually quite limited!!

annemj
Mon, Jun-02-08, 09:39
I bet they are. Congratulations though. You've done very well.

My big concern about getting it to rise so much is that without xanthum gum, it would not have enough structure to keep the rise. If you try it before getting the xanthum gum, consider decreasing the liquid (and I would think butter would be the better option) a tiny bit. That could help.

I tell you what. Xanthum gum is rather expensive for a little package. So I will add some to my next batch and will report back on how it works. That way, if it is a huge waste, you won't have wasted your time looking for it when you are away and your money.

annemj
Sun, Jun-08-08, 12:41
Here is what I did. I multiplied the recipe by 8, added 2 teaspoons of dough enhancer, 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum and 1 teaspoon of salt. From that I made 6 hamburger buns (in a muffin top tin), 12 slider buns and 4 mini (half length) hot dog buns in an eclair pan. All turned out well and will be able to half.

revcharlie
Sun, Jun-08-08, 14:30
Here is what I did. I multiplied the recipe by 8, added 2 teaspoons of dough enhancer, 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum and 1 teaspoon of salt. From that I made 6 hamburger buns (in a muffin top tin), 12 slider buns and 4 mini (half length) hot dog buns in an eclair pan. All turned out well and will be able to half.

Thanks! I am going to get some xanthan gum while I am doing my big city shopping in a couple of weeks.

BTW, what are slider buns? And I'm going to have to get myself a muffin top pan. I don't know if I can get one in Calgary or Vancouver and if I can't I will just order one when I get back home.

annemj
Sun, Jun-08-08, 18:04
Slider buns are just mini hamburger buns for mini hamburgers. They are about 2 " diameter instead of a full-sized bun. Curiously enough, I've never been able to find an in-stock hamburger bun pan. So I initially got the slider pan, and then I got the muffin top pan.

A few tips. First, xanthan gum is really, really sticky once it touches liquid. It can be hell on your mixer. So a strong mixer is recommended. Kitchenaid works great with it, as do Bosch and other fancy shmancy mixers, if you have one. I found that this recipe was stickier with the xanthan gum than without, but it was not as sticky as typical (high carb/starch) gluten free dough. Probably due to all the oil in this recipe. So a strong mixer may not be as important here as it would if this were a starchy xanthan recipe.

Second, the muffin top and slider indentions do not need to be overflowing with dough. Level or just a little below is plenty, and they don't have to quite fill out the sides or be perfect either. (If you feel the need for a mini hot dog bun via the eclair pan method, I wouldn't fill that more than half full.)

Third, I have used both non-stick and regular pans, and the buns stuck to neither using PAM or something like it. So if you are concerned about the non-stick surface, this should work just fine and dandy without the non-stick surface but with a good spraying.

Just for your reference for purpose of liquid adjusting, I live in a very humid environment with an elevation 1000 feet and some change above sea level.

penelope
Sun, Jun-08-08, 18:39
...yes but what is dough enhancer?

penelope
Sun, Jun-08-08, 18:41
Sorry just saw it,It is soy lecithin, ground ginger and ascorbic acid.

Is there anything else I could use to replace the soya lecithin?

annemj
Mon, Jun-09-08, 09:24
If soy is a problem, I wouldn't bother with dough enhancer and would instead use a Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (mixed with the eggs, which will smell just terrible). I would reduce the butter by a tablespoon as well, but only if doing the recipe x 8. If a smaller version, add less vinegar. Probably wouldn't bother to reduce the butter at those levels.

FatJessica
Thu, Jul-10-08, 09:12
WOW WOW WOW, I just made the original recipe, and I have a feeling this is going to prevent me from a lot of future cheating sessions!!! This is BREAD! I was really expecting something weird that resembled bread slightly, but was tolerable, but this is awesome. Thank you thank you thank you.

skeeweeaka
Thu, Jul-10-08, 09:58
This is a great recipe, I've used it often....

TJ :rheart:

_Steve
Thu, Jul-10-08, 19:57
can someone put pictures of what this looks like?

FatJessica
Thu, Jul-10-08, 20:13
I'll take a picture next time I make it.

Tracey71
Sun, Aug-10-08, 19:16
I'm very excited to try this!!! I'm making it tonight!

kekeland
Mon, Aug-18-08, 15:42
I added stevia and the other sweetner in it ( forgot how to spell it)

I dunno if it's only my problem...but flax seed tastes weird when it's baked or in a large quantity to me
it tastes like...an egg mixed with 10 cups of water

LBelfiore
Tue, Aug-19-08, 19:26
kekeland: What recipe did you use?

Rhianwen
Tue, Aug-19-08, 20:58
Just posting so I can subscribe to this thread!

kekeland
Fri, Aug-22-08, 00:19
kekeland: What recipe did you use?

I used a normal one ( flax seed and baking powder and eggs..) but I didnt add any sweetner in it so it tastes kinda weird

but when I add stevia in it then it tastes even better than normal bread

JLx
Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:24
I tried this last night.

1/2 c + 2 TB flax meal
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
2 TB butter, melted
about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

I baked it in the microwave in a small (1 &1/2 cup) rectangular Pyrex dish, which was just right. It rose a little over the top of the dish and popped our fairly easily without greasing.

I could have sliced it in 8 quite thin pieces vertically as the original recipe states, or maybe 4 the long way.

The texture was quite dense but not as spongelike as I expected. What holes there were were quite small. And yes, as someone mentioned previously, it smells eggy but doesn't really taste eggy.

With just butter, I didn't think the taste was that great. Seemed to lack something. With peanut butter and some strawberry freezer jam I made, it was ok.

Today I'm going to try the second half of the loaf as a sandwich. I like whole grain bread as toast, but usually not in a sandwich as I find the whole grain to be too overpowering a taste. But the flax bread flavor was not that strong, so I'm anticipating it might actually be better than whole grain bread.

JL

Elizellen
Sun, Aug-24-08, 14:53
I am intrigued by the addition of ACV, JL.

What does adding that to a recipe do?

JLx
Mon, Aug-25-08, 12:32
I don't know, someone earlier in the thread suggested it. I think it may make it raise better?

I made this again yesterday,

1/2 c flax meal
1 oz chopped roasted/salted pecans
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 TB walnut oil
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 packet stevia

It was very breadlike and quite tasty. A little dry though. I forgot that original recipe called for both 2 eggs and 2 TB butter. This version would be hard to slice very thin but would make very good coarse bread crumbs.

Elizellen
Mon, Aug-25-08, 15:37
I think I have got some ACV in the pantry, so will add it the next time I make flax bread.

Anwar M
Sun, Aug-31-08, 14:10
Hi,

Just tried this, was absolutely delightful!

I live in the UK. I used GranoVita Golden Linseed 500g - £2.99 at Sainsbury's - MUCH cheaper and fresher than buying the meal! Ground it to a flour in one of those Bullet spice/coffee blenders. (not being a salesman, but previous posters mentioned difficulty in getting hold of this)

My loaf came out slightly larger than 250g butter bar, or a "Soreen" (do they still sell them?) loaf (referring to the size and shape only!)

The mixture more than doubled in the microwave (about 3 minutes 30 seconds in a 1000w microwave oven)

Only been on Atkins for 6 days now; it's working, have lost 3kg so far.

Atkins Induction seems to work, but is hard work! Don't really eat a lot of fruit or vegetables (I don't think chips or salad on a donner kebab count :p ) but it's tough not being able to if I want to. Been disciplined so far, but felt not having bread was going to grow as a problem. Absolutely not a problem any more!

I'm going to try putting it into some ramekins and baking them in the oven to make some muffins. Here's hoping it works!

Thanks again for this recipe!

Anwar

Saffronly
Fri, Sep-12-08, 20:38
I just tried the original recipe. It's wonderful!!! Yummy!!

I'm going to try to make bread crumbs and use them to make crab cakes.
Maybe some stuffing to go with chicken!

Thank you so much for posting this. I've very excited about it!!!

big_loser
Thu, Sep-18-08, 06:57
does anyone have any measurements for the ingredients in grams rather that cups and tbsps?

i probably wont even be able to handle making this with the recipe in grams let alone without lol

if not...with the 2 tbsps of flax....are they like...regular tablespoons? or bigger ones that people dont usually have? when i did food tech at school the tablespoons were massive and apparently 'correct' tablespoon size.

DishyFishy
Fri, Nov-28-08, 13:38
This is great! I made the original recipe yesterday, and cut it into thirds. I was worried that the eggs might do me in (egg whites are vicious to my tummy :devil: ), but I had no probs at all.

Thanks so much for the recipe. :) I'm going to have lots of delicious fun making variations.

frisbena
Fri, Jan-23-09, 08:12
I just made a half recipe of this and it was awesome. I put herb and garlic cream cheese on it, it was a nice change for breakfast. I am going to surprise hubby with this tomorrow morning, I know he is missing his bagels. Make sure to really mix the eggs well otherwise you may have eggy bits.
Love it, Thanks Elizellen!!!

lyzjnqtpy
Sun, Jan-25-09, 23:10
iI am so excited that I tried this. Thank you for posting. The only change I made was that I used coconut oil in place of the butter. Maybe I should add a little salt next time

rightnow
Mon, Jan-26-09, 00:01
I had honestly forgotten about this.

It always looks and smells kinda terrible initially. But I let it cool and it's fine. Gets a little firmer as it cools so is easier to cut, too.

I put caraway seed in mine and it SO improves it, and gives me that 'taste-of-[highcarb]-home' of Rye bread, my fave.

I wonder if this is better if refrigerated overnight. A lot of stuff made with flax seems to be better the next day for some mysterious reason.

Chymene
Sat, Mar-14-09, 20:38
I made this tonight and played around a bit with the recipe.

1 cup flaxseed (ground in blender, yield was about 3/4 c)
2 eggs - beaten
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
1 tsp baking powder
3 drops of liquid AS
A pinch of salt

Mixed everything together and let stand while oven was pre-heating to 350. Then into the oven for 30 minutes. I baked it in a Pyrex butter dish and yielded 14 small slices out of it (about 3" high). Alright I yielded 15 slices but something happened to that last little one. Couldn't make it to the photoshoot (that's a Canadian nickel for sz comparison) :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/aoliaak/DSCF00031.jpg

The taste :

Not bread, but not bad either. Another poster had referred to it as "healthy" and it most definitely does taste healthy. I toasted my 15th slice and spread a little butter on it - wasn't bad at all. I'm betting it will be delicious with peanut butter in the morning!

The texture :

I didn't make it in the microwave, I used the oven. Definitely close to protein bread or fruit cake even. Dense and moist. When put in the toaster, it sizzled, which I found greatly amusing.

All in all, it's not bread at all. But if you're looking for something to act as bread in sandwiches or morning toast, this is great! I'll keep on experimenting as this feels more like dense cake than bread.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

nicnoc
Sun, May-03-09, 09:23
Just made this flax bread for the first time and I love it. I have been low carbing for five and a half years
Today I made flaxmeal by putting flax seeds in the blender (you can't buy flaxmeal in the UK) then looked on this site to find a recipe to use it in..Don't know why I have not done this before. I have really missed having something to spread butter and cheese on, or cream cheese, and I have really missed Marmite !!
I used the original recipe on at the beginning of this thread and microwaved it in a small plastic tub for two and a half minutes. SO Simple

gingin35
Thu, May-28-09, 06:34
Made it this morning and dipped it into egg for a french toast and it was SO DELICIOUS! Thank you!

ellenalesa
Fri, Jul-24-09, 11:31
I read the whole thread and I also am leary about nuking anything in plastic, even if it is FDA approved. Would a small loaf pan work? Any ideas?

Elizellen
Sat, Jul-25-09, 09:07
I use glass dishes in the microwave.

You could ovenbake it instead.

ellenalesa
Sat, Jul-25-09, 11:24
I found a small rectangular glass dish. I'm looking forward to trying this.

stacianbob
Sat, Jul-25-09, 21:44
bake it in a coffee mug!

VikkiAnn
Sat, Dec-05-09, 16:34
I make flax bread in the micro wave all the time, I only use one egg in mine but I have to use a lot more flax and add water to mine. How much does it rise? How big are the slices?

Needlelady
Tue, Dec-08-09, 09:36
Elizellen,

Please could you tell me exactly what make of coffee grinder you use to grind your flax seeds? I bought a hand cranked coffee grinder, but I would be using it all day to grind enough to bake with. i asked in my local electrial shop and was told that the coffee grinders they had would not grind the seeds as they are too small.

penelope
Tue, Dec-08-09, 14:06
I use a normal coffee grinder, not a burr, a grinder, the one on the market for years.

msmum1977
Tue, Dec-08-09, 14:32
I put caraway seed in mine and it SO improves it, and gives me that 'taste-of-[highcarb]-home' of Rye bread, my fave.

I'm with rightnow. I LOVED rye bread. Especially with pastrami, swiss, & spicy mustard. Maybe with some 'kraut or coleslaw on the side.

I think I'm going to try this with the caraway and bake it in the oven. I wonder if adding (please all don't jump on me at once, here for suggesting it) a tsp or two of dark rye flour would improve the taste and or oven baked texture.

A tsp of dark rye flour has 1.9 grams of carb with about 0.5 grams of fibre, netting out at about 1.2 grams of carb. Even adding two tsps to the entire recipe wouldn't up the count that dramatically...unless one ate the entire loaf.

Would definitely be for those on OWL, of course.

ok, crowd, be gentle on me! :lol:

GlendaRC
Tue, Dec-08-09, 19:43
I'm with rightnow. I LOVED rye bread. Especially with pastrami, swiss, & spicy mustard. Maybe with some 'kraut or coleslaw on the side.

I think I'm going to try this with the caraway and bake it in the oven. I wonder if adding (please all don't jump on me at once, here for suggesting it) a tsp or two of dark rye flour would improve the taste and or oven baked texture.

A tsp of dark rye flour has 1.9 grams of carb with about 0.5 grams of fibre, netting out at about 1.2 grams of carb. Even adding two tsps to the entire recipe wouldn't up the count that dramatically...unless one ate the entire loaf.

Would definitely be for those on OWL, of course.

ok, crowd, be gentle on me! :lol:
Not gonna jump on you! Actually, having gotten to your, presumably first goal, I think it's a good time to go on maintenance for awhile to let your body and your mind catch up! And the small amount of rye flour/caraway seed added to flax bread/muffins sounds like a super idea -- I don't know why I didn't think of it myself! ** Note to self: add rye flour to grocery list **

msmum1977
Wed, Dec-09-09, 10:37
thanks, Glendarc! I'm glad you didn't think me evil for suggesting it.

I haven't gone rye flour shopping yet, but I understand there are three types: light, med, & dark. It would be the dark that has the most pronounced rye flavour (think pumpernickel bread vs. light rye!). Coincidentally, it also has the most fibre, which means it would be the best choice I think....most taste and fibre for less of a carb hit.