PDA

View Full Version : Flax Bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : 1 [2]

nutsnseeds
Sat, Dec-19-09, 13:17
I just made this as suggested with the addition of a tablespoon of dark rye flour and a healthy dose of caraway seeds. This is unbelievably delicious! I just toasted a slice and spread with cream cheese - heaven.

The only problem I have is that others say they get 8 slices - I nuke it in the sandwich size tuperware and it barely rises so I end up slicing it in half and then down the middle to make 4 thin half slices. I don't know how I would get 8 slices unless I had a laser handy. Am I doing something wrong? Should it rise more? Should I use more baking powder or let the "batter" sit before nuking? This happens to me whether I use the original recipe as written or I add caraway seeds and a bit of flour.

caligirl2
Tue, Jan-05-10, 15:37
dumb question, but i don't think it's been asked yet...you don't have to beat the eggs with an eggbeater? just mix them up by hand?

GlendaRC
Tue, Jan-05-10, 19:37
I just made this as suggested with the addition of a tablespoon of dark rye flour and a healthy dose of caraway seeds. This is unbelievably delicious! I just toasted a slice and spread with cream cheese - heaven.

The only problem I have is that others say they get 8 slices - I nuke it in the sandwich size tuperware and it barely rises so I end up slicing it in half and then down the middle to make 4 thin half slices. I don't know how I would get 8 slices unless I had a laser handy. Am I doing something wrong? Should it rise more? Should I use more baking powder or let the "batter" sit before nuking? This happens to me whether I use the original recipe as written or I add caraway seeds and a bit of flour.
Yeah, I don't get 8 slices either - usually 2 if I want regular bread size slices. I've noticed that no-one seems to say what size their slices are. :confused:

I don't know how I would get 8 slices unless I had a laser handy. And they'd be so thin you wouldn't be able to spread anything on them anyway!! :lol:

caligirl2, I just whip them a bit with a fork - no need for an egg beater. In fact, I don't even own an egg beater anymore - just an electric mixer! Wow! how times change!!

caligirl2
Wed, Jan-06-10, 11:04
i tried this last night and again this morning...i was impressed!! It didn't rise though, so i used extra baking powder in my batch this morning...but it still didn't rise. It tastes good though. In this morning's, i put a little garlic powder and some shredded cheese. It was great! I don't think it would taste as good cold, but it would be useful for dipping things or sandwiches, where you're not eating it for the bread but for the toppings. i have lots of ideas to try with this. thanks!!

msmum1977
Wed, Jan-06-10, 11:35
I have to admit, although suggesting the rye flour, I haven't tried it yet. I was toying with the idea of nixing the flour and trying this

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/deli-rye-flavor-4-oz

But the website contains no nutritional info, no ingredient info (it appears to have yeast in it) and I don't want to order it if it isn't a true extract or better yet, a carb bargain for me ;)

GlendaRC
Wed, Jan-06-10, 17:55
I have to admit, although suggesting the rye flour, I haven't tried it yet. I was toying with the idea of nixing the flour and trying this
I've got the flour sitting here but I haven't tried it yet either. Must try it soon, once I'm fully recovered from my Holiday Indulgences! :lol:

caligirl2
Thu, Jan-07-10, 11:59
I figured out why it wasn't rising--I wasn't using enough water.

I made a peanut butter-filled muffin this morning...it was AWESOME! I used 1/4 cup flax seed and 1 egg (plus water and baking soda). Spooned half of the batter into a mug. Put a huge spoonful of peanut butter in it. Then covered with the rest of the batter. Microwave for 3 minutes. I ate it when i got to work and it was DELICIOUS!

Nancy LC
Thu, Jan-07-10, 12:11
If you're having troubles with rising check that your baking powder isn't old.

Aisleone
Thu, Jan-21-10, 17:36
I can't wait to have a slice toasted with a poached egg in the morning! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Linderella
Sun, Jan-24-10, 07:40
Made this for the first time and WOW it is great. I cooked it in the oven and the texture is great. I added some davinci's cinnamon syrup. More of a banana loaf texture so I feel like I am cheating when I have a piece. Love it.

jamie207
Thu, Jan-28-10, 06:29
Absolutely great recipe, better than bread......

Wish i could make it rise more, I get 2 slices from mine.

But hey I am not complaining

Very tasty indeed!!!!

Cheers :yum:

I make a microwaved bread from flax

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 3 minutes.

I havent tried the bake mixes so dont know how like real bread they are but I find this makes a fairly closetextured bread that tastes to me like wholemeal bread.

On another board a member suggested you could add parmesan and some herbs to make a savoury loaf but I havent tried it yet.

Totally induction legal for Atkins

About 570 cals for the whole recipe - I get 8 slices out of it
Other info - whole recipe has
Total fat 48 gms
Carbs 18gms (including 15 gms fibre) - so only 3 net carbs
Protein 20 gms

maxxie
Fri, Mar-19-10, 13:05
I just made this but put it in a very large zip lock bag and it came out looking like a giant burrito...perfect technique for this recipe.

Elizellen
Sat, Mar-20-10, 05:42
What a great idea!

Wed, Mar-24-10, 15:08
I make a microwaved bread from flax

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 3 minutes.

I used the base recipe above and added, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp real vanilla flavoring, & 1/2 teaspoon of LC Twin Brown Sugar.

Oh man! Was this good! I want to eat the whole thing, but since I'm in the Induction Phase I can only have 3 tbsp per day (well heck...that is almost the whole thing...lol) anyway, I stuck to one slice. I melted a little extra butter and added some DaVinci Maple Flavor syrup to that and nuked that to soften butter and syrup together and poured that on top of the bread. Very yummy, but to tell the truth it was great without it too.

The only thing that would have been better is I should have only nuked it for 2:30 minutes instead of 3:00 minutes. 3 minutes is too long in my microwave, so next time 2:30 for me. Otherwise, really great recipe! Thanks! :thup: :D

rightnow
Wed, Mar-24-10, 17:05
I just made a version of this stuff that was real fun and induction friendly. See this post:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=8055253&postcount=1303

caligirl2
Fri, Mar-26-10, 10:59
recently i have tried make this as a small loaf rather than muffin. i found that the microwave does not cook the loaf evenly...the end can turn out as hard as a rock while the middle is still a little gooy.

you think the oven will cook more evenly? should i add more water if i'm cooking in the oven--will it dry it out more? i'm going to try it, but if anyone has advice it might save me from ruining a loaf!

Elizellen
Sat, Mar-27-10, 05:31
I would think the oven would cook a loaf shape more evenly than the microwave.

For microwave cooking of a large-ish amount nowadays I always use a round dish to help it cook better.

lowcarbjo
Mon, Mar-29-10, 12:37
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I made a loaf this morning and YUMMMMMY... I made a sandwich, a real sandwich .... I only have large eggs so I added 2 more Tbsp of the flax... I buttered a small glass dish and nuked it for 2 min 50 seconds... it was perfect... except that I did not know it would rise like that so my dish was a bit too shallow... it did not over flow, it folded into itself a wee bit.... next time I will use a deeper dish. It came out of the dish easy, sliced easy and toasted easy.... I then loaded it with turkey, mayo, mustard and swiss
cheese.... heavenly!!! I am sooooooo thrilled to have this!!!! :D

PS.... the dish I used is a glass pyrex (comes with a lid for fridge storage) and is a small rectangle shape, so the bread came out in a loaf shape. Again, next time I will use 1 size up in dishes. No issues with a gooey center or anything, the loaf was cooked right through.

shopjunkie
Mon, Mar-29-10, 14:15
I made this flax bread this weekend and this morning - IT IS AWESOME! I made it into the shape of a pita bread and buttered it up - just like toast! (I posted pics in my journal).

Thank you so much for posting this recipe :)

P.S. I'm going to use it as my base for eggs benedict for dinner tonight! Yum :yum:

Elizellen
Mon, Mar-29-10, 15:02
Great to see so many people experimenting with shapes and coming up with something useful and yummmmy!!

hysteria
Mon, May-17-10, 07:17
As my 13 y/o would say...O.M.G.!
I used flax seeds back in 03/04, but never tried to make any kind of bread from it (granted, Elizellen's wonderful recipe wasn't posted that long ago ;) ). I finally made some last night and quickly ate 1/2 the loaf w/ about a tbsp of almond butter :D The bulkiness did upset my stomach a twinge, but I am also hoping this, along with my magnisium keep the pipes working. Looking forward to making a batch tonight and having a BLT.

I made mine in a large tupperware bowl, so it came out kind of thin. I can tell you now I could eat this for the rest of my life - I LOVE dark breads - pumpernickle & rye were some of my favorites as a teen - (I never could stand Wonder bread (blah!) ) and the flax bread recipe reminds me strongly of a dark bread :yum:

albiorix
Sat, Jun-19-10, 13:25
this is FAB, I have just had cheese on toast :)
best thing of all is after 1 slice I am completely, completely full. I could eat a whole loaf of wheat-based bread and still want to gorge on more.

thank you :)

lindystar
Sun, Jun-27-10, 23:34
I'm wondering if I did this wrong... mine came out ( I followed the recipie and used a microwavable plastic sandwhich sized dish) and it came out about 3/4's of an inch high and about the width of a regular peice of bread. If I made eight slices out of it it would make like.... eight teeny breadskicks but nothing resembling a slice of bread - was this supposed to raise more?

It was eggy and gross looking BUT when I toasted it in the pan with some butter - oooooo it really wasn't bad at all!! Toasting it took away some of the eggyness and gave it a crisp and I ate my lol teeny breadsticks with over-easy eggs and actually felt like a normal person!

I'll deffiently be making it again, maybe I can figure out a way to slice it the other way and get like, two slices but I'm still wondering if it was supposed to rise more? Where did the EIGHT come from! ? LOL :)

(and btw I totally ate 3/4 of it and had no tummy troubles!) :)

And P.S. - THANK YOU!!

Blackice
Wed, Oct-06-10, 14:46
I tired this recipe 3 times now... I love it...but I agree it is a little eggy ... I thought it has to be the microwave, So today I decided to dust my express101 ( I have not used it in a long time) and I put the mixture in it and baked it for like 4-5 minutes and ooooooh my god it tasted even better and no eggy smill......it smills like BREAD ... I made a cheese burger with it... ymmmmm ....

rightnow
Fri, Oct-08-10, 15:06
Flax meal, almond meal, pecan meal, coconut meal, can all be used in muffins. Cream cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs, all can be as well. If it doesn't come out how you find ideal, try experimenting with the recipe. Most of these recipes (mock danish, bowl muffin, flax bread, etc.) are all variations on the same theme and there's probably hundreds of variant ideas listed here if you read enough.

PJ

yanxfan
Wed, Dec-22-10, 11:02
I'm thinking of using this recipe to make sausage stuffing for Christmas. Now I just need to know, the recipe calls for 4 TBS flax...is that the MEAL or is that the amount of SEEDS you use before grinding. I'll be using the MEAL. Also, I need to make 5-6 cups of bread. How many of these do I have to make or can I make a bigger batch?

Elizellen
Wed, Dec-22-10, 11:18
I'm thinking of using this recipe to make sausage stuffing for Christmas. Now I just need to know, the recipe calls for 4 TBS flax...is that the MEAL or is that the amount of SEEDS you use before grinding.
It is 4 TBS of ground flax (meal)

I have never worked out how many cups of breadcrumbs the recipe would make.

yanxfan
Wed, Dec-22-10, 11:21
It is 4 TBS of ground flax (meal)

I have never worked out how many cups of breadcrumbs the recipe would make.

I'm just going to cube it up.

sephine
Thu, Jun-16-11, 11:44
Holy cows this is good i just tried it for lunch and it is amazing !! thank you so much for this recipe! Even my future MIL loves it she used this insted of her whole grain bread for her sandwich =)

DebiF
Sat, Oct-08-11, 07:40
Just curious ...I was thinking :lol:

Has anyone tried adding a bit of Splenda and some cinnamon and making mini-muffins? I only have a metal mini muffin pan...wonder how I would do this is the oven versus the microwave.

Comments anyone?

Kristine
Sat, Oct-08-11, 08:05
Hi and welcome, Debi. There are quite a few flax muffin recipes in the Table of Contents. Also, for a microwavable single serving version, check the bowl muffin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=223612) thread. :thup:

kristym
Wed, Nov-02-11, 08:05
Made the bread just now for breakfast and was surprisingly good. Going to make a sammy for lunch, funny to be so excited over food, but bread is a biggie for me!

joylorene
Wed, Feb-29-12, 11:34
Has anyone tried this with Ricotta cheese instead of the eggs so there is no eggy taste?

Lizlou
Sat, Apr-21-12, 04:32
I've tried this a few times now and although the taste is equally as good as bread, I get a very lopsided rise. It's bumpy on top and rises in the middle leaving a hollow bottom!

I've just tried baking it on a sheet in the oven and it's very thin and what's more, it stuck lol

Anyone any ideas what I can do?

I must say, it was great to have a piece of cheese on toast again and a bit of toast under my fried egg :-)

Liz

graciejean
Sat, Apr-21-12, 09:29
BUMPING again ,I think.lol

Kirsteen
Wed, May-02-12, 04:19
Centaura57 tried this recipe with an adaptation she'd tried, as she wasn't so keen on the strong flax smell.... Here's her post:

All I did was kinda tweak the microwave flax bread by lowering the flax and adding some vanilla protein whey powder and using (scentless and needed less) coconut oil instead of butter. Man, that thing came out thick enough to make 3 slices and OMG is it good...and LIGHT! And it even toasts up nicely for use with my fried eggs! I am so in HEAVEN RIGHT NOW!!!! It's PERFECT - right weight, right taste, decent texture, 2 carbs!

I thought it was a good variation to post with your original recipe.

Source: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=8548597&postcount=12

Elizellen
Wed, May-02-12, 09:57
That seems an excellent adaptation :thup:

charlieuk
Mon, Jul-16-12, 07:48
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER......Easy to make and very breadish!!!!

Sat, Jul-28-12, 21:48
oooh...i think i will do this recipe but with half flax and half oat fiber. do you think that would work? i've never used oat fiber but am anxious to try it. :idea:

Buttoni
Sun, Jul-29-12, 16:04
2007, I've used oat fiber quite a bit and find that although it enhances flavor and texture, it's VERY drying. So I would highly recommend you err on the side of caution and introduce in VERY tiny amounts in your recipes, like maybe 1 tablespoon in a MIM, 1/4 c. for sweet breads/loafs, 1/4 c. in a 9x13 cake. I ruined a batch of cornbread using too much one time.

Sun, Jul-29-12, 17:29
~ buttoni...thank you for info. i know u do a lot of recipes so i'm going to take your word for it. i may need to include some coconut oil along with the butter that's how i get the dryness out when i use julian bakery 1 carb bread for grill cheese and it comes out awesome, but i would like to be able to make my own bread without having to fork over $7.99 a loaf. :o

Buttoni
Sun, Jul-29-12, 19:24
You might like to try these.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc278/buttonbutt/002-21-1.jpg

This is NOT my recipe, but that of a lady named Marcea on LowCarbFriends forums. I really like these a lot! I'm planning on trying this recipe (which is very good) as a hamburger-type sandwich bun next time. May use less cheese, or M-Jack to make them more neutral. Gluc powder is virtualll all fiber, so these are VERY filling. I order mine from netrition.com. You use little in a recipe, and the bag will last you for ages. I add 1-3 tsp. in baked goods and they just "come out better".

Gluten Free Gluc Cheese Bread/Biscuits

4 tsp. glucomannan powder (Konjac powder)
1 T. baking powder
1/3 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. grated cheese (your choice)
3 large eggs
1 T. olive oil
3 T. water

Beat eggs until fluffy with electric mixer. Add oil, water, BP, and garlic powder. Slowly sprinkle glucomannan powder into the mixture (I use an empty shaker to do this) and continue whipping/beating. Added too fast and you'll get lumps. Dough will be about like a thick pudding now. Add cheese, let sit a few minutes. Drop by spoonfuls into 12 biscuits. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes. If you want burger buns, just make 6 and spread into desired size. She says a doubled recipe will bake a pizza crust, baked ay 3765 for 15 minutes, and then topped as you like and baked until bubbly and toppings are cooked/ready.

I've only done the biscuits. These are very sturdy and a bit chewy, in fact. They were great leftover, too!

I calculated the values and for 12 biscuits, each one has 62 calories, 5.04 g fat, 1.46 g carbs, .57 g fiber, .99 g NET CARBS, and 3.56 g protein.

Double those numbers if you only make 6 larger buns for hamburgers.

(Entire recipe has 749 calories, 60.5 fat, 17.5 carbs, 6.8 fiber, 10.7 NC and 42.7 protein) so for pizza, divide by the number of slices you cut the crust into.

Sun, Jul-29-12, 22:13
oh buttoni...your killing me. dang! why do those look like red lobster cheese biscuits. my mouth is watering. :yum:

Whofan
Sun, Oct-14-12, 15:49
I came scurrying over to this thread this weekend because all week I've had a strong craving for crack, er, I mean bread. I know that if I have one slice all the health benefits and weight loss of the last 18 months will go flying out the window.

But, I'm new to cooking, had to learn from these forums how to cook a steak properly, for example. Baking is a mystery to me. Which is why I messed up this simple recipe not once but twice. The first time I misunderstood how much flax to put in. I used 4 Tsp and the result was something flaccid and rubbery like a dog's toy. After reading 13 pages of rave reviews here I found where I'd gone wrong. Next attempt I used 8 Tsp of flax but thought one egg would be enough. What I got was....biscotti. (Actually, I recommend it if you put a bit of stevia or something into the mix).

Determined not to let this 4-ingredient, 3-minute recipe defeat me, I finally followed the instructions correctly but with 2.5 minutes in the microwave instead of 3 and.....success! I did, of course, eat the whole thing in one sitting so I'll only be making it in future if/when the bread-craving comes again. Now I'm waiting to see if I get a flax-bread-craving instead!

Anyway, thank you so much for posting this recipe. I do believe it kept me from throwing away 18 low carb months this weekend.

rightnow
Mon, Dec-10-12, 14:51
I'm new to cooking, had to learn from these forums how to cook a steak properly, for example. Baking is a mystery to me.
Yes -- this forum was where I finally started learning to cook!

Determined not to let this 4-ingredient, 3-minute recipe defeat me,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favorite OMG topping (from HC days. Who knew it was the LC ingredients I actually loved the most?)

Toastez Spread: a 'concept' recipe so don't worry about quantities except to end up with the result:
a bunch of finely-shredded colby-jack cheese (or jack + cheddar cheeses) say about 8oz
some mayo (homemade is better), if you want a little butter with it, room temp or soft to mix it all up
1-6 garlic cloves depending on your garlic insanity, pressed (ideally) or minced, and mixed up in the mayo-cheese mix
You want the final result to be "sculptable but still creamy." So you can just muck about with it until you get that result.
Let it sit in the fridge (if you're patient) to meld flavors a bit.
Slather it heavily on anything remotely resembling bread.

Better still:
Hard boil some eggs, and sliced them, and put the egg slices on the bread. Also finely-slice peppers or onions if you like them, to put that on the bread as well. Then you have the toastez cheeze spread plus eggs plus some kind of fresh produce (even if it's tiny amount), for more protein and a little crunch.

I haven't made this with flaxbread in years. WTH is wrong with me? I have to go do that now. Do you ever find it weird that you can discover a food you love and then eventually forget it ever existed??

I think maybe it was the "heating flax causes omega 3's to become PUFAs" that stopped me eating it long ago. I'm trying to care as deeply about that as I did then but it's not working. :-)

I've also found that mixing just a little bit of nut meal, coconut meal (super tiny bit of that it's so drying) and protein powder (which I loathe, except cooked in things), creates something similar but slightly more groovy depending on your taste for flax and your desire to eat enough fiber to count as a tree in one sitting.

PJ

wanliker
Sat, Dec-15-12, 02:47
First things first, I am a newbe to low carb, 76 years old, male and also have to worry about vitamini K. And not a cook or baker. Nuke is my lifestyle.
bill

I have tried the original recipe, 3 times, once in a cup/mug, once in a tall glass cup, and once in a 4" x 4" tupperware type container, (at the bottom).

The first attempt, was one in a coffee mug. It raised until about half the loaf was sticking out of the top, and bent over the side. I straightened it out on a plate, was about 8 inches long. Taste, and texture were good.

Second try, was with a glass mug taller than the first one, it also ejected out the top, in the shape of a worm, with mostly empty space under it. Again I put it on a plate, straightened it out. Taste and texture were good.

Third attempt, was in 2, 4 x 4 at the (bottom) containers. I had split the recipe, so the final "bread", so the final "bread" slices, when nuked, had a 2 1/2 inch diameter bump in the top, about 3/4 high, and about 3/8 on the sides.
Taste, and texture were good.
I can live with this one.

The question from me, is how do I get more control over the end results, ie. raising out of the cups? :

Buttoni
Sat, Dec-15-12, 12:54
Welcome to the site, Wanliker. I gave up cooking mine in a mug, period. Instead, I use a small square food storage bowl. that way I don't have to worry about the batter overflowing, it comes out square, like sandwich bread, and it is evenly sliced laterally for thinner slices. Hope this suggestion helps. Check out my website for more bread recipes you might like. This one's my fav: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/peggys-individual-white-bread/

This is my fav flax, darker bread now: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/peggys-individual-chia-bread/

wanliker
Sun, Dec-16-12, 04:16
Buttoni, I agree with you, about the square containers, I used Zip Loc 2-1/2 cup containers, BHP Free, microwavable OK, Blue tops, from Walmarts)
My main "Want", is a nice grilled cheese sandwich, and I had everything but the bread. So these containers were ideal for me.
I can easily cut any hump off of the slice, (single slice per 1/2 of a batch). Full batch cooked in two containers, and results almost the same size as a regular piece of sliced bread..) (Dimensions in my previous post).
If I desire something else, the container made slice, can be easily cut to shape, Made twice as thick in a single container, or divided as needed.
I will check out your Links, and Thank You for your response.
Next thing I will need is an answer to breading a meat, always have to worry about the Vitamin K in anything I eat.
bill

[QUOTE=Buttoni]Welcome to the site, Wanliker. I gave up cooking mine in a mug, period. Instead, I use a small square food storage bowl. that way I don't have to worry about the batter overflowing, it comes out square, like sandwich bread, and it is evenly sliced laterally for thinner slices. Hope this suggestion helps. Check out my website for more bread recipes you might like.

wanliker
Fri, Jan-04-13, 22:41
did anyone answer the container size question? i was looking at the recipe and wondering if it really makes eight slices?

Does the recipe puff up really big or what? How thick are are your slices?

Sorry for so many questions, i just really want to do this right!!!

thanks

deb

I believe that some are putting the batter into 4 x 4 containers, then slicing it horizontally, I also have divided the batch between two 4 x 4sandwich sized containers for two slices, one in each. I like this way best, as I don't have to slices the pieces..
Others are are using a small narrow, long pan, and slicing it vertically for slices that are about 1-2 mouthfulls.
I have tried the first two ways, and worked well for me. If there is a hump in the middle of the slice, cut it off, and enjoy snacking on it, while you slice the bread, I have used the 4 x 4 slices about 3/8 thick for a grilled cheese, delicious.

Downtown
Sun, Jan-06-13, 16:10
Has anyone tried this in a regular oven?? I am one of those strange folks with no microwave.

Elizellen
Mon, Jan-07-13, 15:19
Yes - it takes longer, maybe about 3-4 times as long depending on the container size, but does work.

Downtown
Mon, Jan-07-13, 16:34
Thanks so much I can't wait to try it.

vsalmon
Thu, Jan-17-13, 17:31
I do it in the regular oven all the time cause I also like that crunchier crust. I think I usually cook at 350 degrees. Also....now I have not scoured this entire thread so maybe it has been addressed...I use 50/50 flaxmeal/almond flour...for OWL and above.
Have fun...lots of options...like pumpkin and nuts and berries and cheese and....

eccydlc05
Mon, Jan-21-13, 16:42
Do you think I can make this in an oven?? I do not have a microwave.

Soozie429
Mon, Jul-08-13, 10:42
MIMs right? Love these but I got so sick of them when I did Atkins before. Had them too much. But I think I'm ready to try the revised version that was posted with less Flax. :thup:

rightnow
Sat, Jul-27-13, 08:37
Has anyone tried this in a regular oven?? I am one of those strange folks with no microwave.
You can make this (any of its variations) in one of those silicon mini-muffin pans in the oven or toaster oven and it's just as good if not better.

Warning: cooking flax in anything but silicon or nuked-plastic tends to be hard to wash and tends to stick to whatever it is.

Doing it that way will also let you make a bigger batch and then mix in a variety of different ingredients to try in various of the little containers of your pan.

Some people tweak such recipes a bit so they can be fried like pancakes or put in waffle irons.

Anything that contains flax is usually vastly better if refrigerated and then eaten the next day. I have no idea why.

PJ

Iwilldoit
Mon, Aug-12-13, 19:10
hehe, I think my baking powder must be kaputsky... I just tried this out and don' think it rose more than 3/8" tall :lol: am letting this one cool and will cut it in quarters!

The texture looks really good though. Going to go to store tomorrow for some groceries and will pick up a fresh baking powder and give this another whirl though, seems like from everyone's posts it can be very versatile with different seasonings/flavorings :)

Iwilldoit
Thu, Aug-15-13, 14:41
I wonder if anyone has a suggestion for me? I went and fetched a new container of baking powder and gave this another go.
Again texture is really nice, and it rose slightly more, but certainly is no more than a 1/2" height! Could carefully try to slice it in two slices horizontally. Am just wondering why it's not hardly rising compared to with what others are seeing?

PS, I used the Glad sandwich food saver, nuked the batter on High for 3 mins.

quicksand
Fri, Aug-16-13, 07:04
got to try this,but a little confused about the size of container you used,sorry.

Iwilldoit
Fri, Aug-16-13, 16:36
quicksand, as far as I can tell from all the posts, it's just one of those Glad sandwich food savers. They are about 4' x 4' by maybe 2" high.
You don't put the lid on it to nuke the flax mixture though, just pop it uncovered into the microwave.

quicksand
Fri, Aug-16-13, 18:03
I have one of those,thanks Iwilldoit

Bob-a-rama
Mon, Aug-26-13, 20:18
Will this work with egg whites?

I can't eat the yolks, they are inflammatory for me.

Thanks,
Bob

Ptrcmcc6
Mon, Feb-10-14, 22:05
Just had this for the first time tonight and I love it!! I made mine as the original recipe calls for but used large eggs instead of medium eggs and golden flax meal. I nuked it in a small pyrex loaf dish and got 4 (thin) horizontal slices which I then cut in 1/2 to give me 8 small slices. I ate 2 of the small slices with a little butter, splenda, and cinnamon and it was delish!! Next time I'm going to double the recipe and bake it in a regular oven and see how that comes out.

LosingMe16
Tue, Feb-11-14, 08:57
I am going to try this today; I have an abundance of eggs and flax meal, and this is so easy it sounds like even I couldn't screw this up LOL!

My curiosity, though, is that different brands of flax meals have different nutritional data. My brand of flax meal, when fiber is subtracted, actually has 0 net carbs (score!). If made as said in the recipe, at the most my bread for a whole batch would have less than 2g net carb.

The disadvantage is that flax, if I do not DRAMATICALLY increase fluid intake, does bind me up. I like making a faux cookie dough with flax, butter, sweetener, and a T or so of almond butter...but I only do this sometimes because I know it's going to make it hard to go to the bathroom for a day or three :( I do a lot better without such a dramatic fiber increase lol!

LosingMe16
Tue, Feb-11-14, 16:51
The plastic container I used made the "bread" into the shape of about an English muffin. When cut into half, it was the size of two regular English muffins, which I subsequently cut each of THOSE in half and used to make sliced hardboiled egg and cheese sandwiches. lol. Very happy with this recipe because it will help me use up the flax meal and eggs I have. Easy to make, even for a poor cook like me. Five stars haha.

Ptrcmcc6
Tue, Feb-11-14, 19:36
LosingMe16.......if you enjoyed that......you should try this one:

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of butter

1. Put dry ingredients in a coffee mug (or bowl for different shape)
2. Stir
3. Add egg and butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute on high.
Take out, slice, butter, enjoy.

Cream cheese would go nicely too.

Serving size: 1

I found this recipe tucked somewhere within this thread and just tried it. It is really good. I nuked it in a ramekin type bowl and then sliced it 1/2 horizontally. Spread some some cream cheese and s/f jam on it and it was delish!!

Ptrcmcc6
Tue, Feb-11-14, 19:37
I mixed the dry ingredients and then melted the butter before I added it to the egg. After that I beat the butter and egg together before I mixed it in with the dry ingredients.

Dawnxpzl
Fri, Apr-04-14, 18:00
Dear Lord...I have the stupidest question ever. I bought Milled Flax Seed. I made this Flax bread using 4T of it and came out hard as a rock and did not rise. My question is...What is Milled Flax seed? Is it the same as Ground flax seed? Is it Flax flour? (No worries...I put some Kerrygold on it while it was still hot...salted it and managed to get it down! :) )

Elizellen
Sat, Apr-05-14, 06:18
Did you forget the baking powder by any chance? This happens to me when I do that.

Dawnxpzl
Mon, Apr-07-14, 05:49
There is the chance that my baking powder is old...I mean I did not buy it recently. But my real question is what is the difference between Milled Flax seed (what I have), Flax Meal, Flax seeds. I just want to be sure I know how to properly use this ingredient!

JEY100
Mon, Apr-07-14, 13:29
Milled = ground = flax meal. Don’t be confused by the different product names for ground flaxseed. Milled or ground flaxseed is the same thing as flax meal.

Buy either brown or golden flaxseed. Golden flaxseed is easier on the eyes, but brown flaxseed is easier to find in most supermarkets. There is very little difference nutritionally between the two, so the choice is up to you.

Whole Flax seeds, the source of above products, are just that. Whole seeds, so looks very different. I only use them to add to smoothies, or you can grind your own flour.