PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with Sabotage

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ellie2
Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:28
Just wondering if anyone else has thing problem. My roomate and close friend keeps buying all of my favorite things (like those evil gummie candies) and offering them to me, leaving them around the house etc. She claims that i have the worst eating habits she's ever seen!!!(being low carb) and has basically admitted to trying to ruin my diet. My boyfriend and also my father keep buying me chocolate and other evils even after i ask them repeatedly not to! Every time i break the 130 barrier they seem to all work together to ruin my efforts. I'm not being paranoid because this has been going on for a while. Any suggestions on how to stay strong without ruining my relationships with my loved ones. I'm with dr.phil on his "clean environment" philosophy. I'm at my whits end! :help:

twistermom
Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:31
Someone told me about a sweet treat. When they do this go get the allowed amount of cream cheese sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon. Takes just as good as candy and chocolate.

nets33
Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:04
It's really tough when the people closest to you deliberately (or not) sabotage your diet. When I've had people buying me treats or leaving them around is two things. One, wrap them up and put them away (or put them in your roommates room). Two, take the treats into work so that others can enjoy them. Oops, there is a third... just throw them into the trash!

Keep good "treats" on hand in case you do get those cravings.

Either way, get them out of your line of sight. You'll have to be strong for yourself since it sounds like your friends/family don't undersand the LC way of life. Maybe a discussion with them to help them understand how this hurts you?

Best of luck,
Kiks

LilaCotton
Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:33
Maybe ask them to write down what they eat during one day of their 'healthy' eating. Then take their notes and plug them into FitDay, run the nutrition info on their foods and run the nutrition info on the foods you're eating. Compare them and have them take a good look at the difference.

If they don't want to take the time to track their foods for a day, then tell them simply never again to bother you about the way you choose to eat.

If it was me and my lack of tact, I'd be hanging some family members and friends out to dry. ;)

jemman
Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:39
theres a recipe in the kitchen forum for LC gummies. my dh & mil are forever trying to sabotage me. ie- my dh will add crap into the tomato sauce and tell me he didnt or my mil (who claims to be LCing on SB) will tell me the veggies she made are plain when i can taste the butter & salt. why they do it is beyond me. well, my dh thinks "a little bit wont kill you" and i dunno what my MILs problem is. the way i've dealt with her is to offer to make the veggies myself. and my dh finally gets it i think. as far as having stuff around. my dh isnt LCing and has plenty of cookies and junk around- i have to respect him not LCing as much as he has to respect me doing it, so, i just have to exercize willpower there. i do have an annoying coworker who always offers me candy and junk- i dunno how many times i have to tell her i dont eat that crap- i think im just going to start being rude about it. good luck!

arc
Mon, Jun-07-04, 12:16
You might have them explain to you how candy and chocolate are healthier than what you normally eat (I'm assuming here that you are following low-carb correctly here). :rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way, just because the stuff is offered, doesn't mean you have to eat it.

Iowagirl
Mon, Jun-07-04, 12:17
Crystal - you can have butter and salt on your veggies while low carbing.

As for you, Ellie - I would take Nets advice and simply dispose of the candies. Your family and "friends" are being manipulative and hurtful by setting these traps. When you see the candy simply scoop it into a bag. If anyone asks what the bag is for, tell them you are bringing it to your coworkers. At some point one would think they would tire of buying such things for total strangers.

Of course, your other option would be to walk around the room with a garbage can and toss them away. Depends on your mood, I guess. :)

cs_carver
Mon, Jun-07-04, 12:34
you can flush, too.... If they're really buying it for you, what business is it of theirs what you do with it?

I have a couple of responses I've used in other situations--No thanks, not yet... and then later, "No thanks, I've had enough." I can't expect anyone else to be responsible for what I'm eating this week. Heaven only knows, over the years it certainly has changed! But the "broken record" approach will work in time if they're just trying to get a rise out of you.

LucyLucy
Mon, Jun-07-04, 12:56
You are obviously going to have to be direct, simply hand back whatever they put out, saying "I don't eat this anymore, please don't tempt me with it". If that doesn't work, throw it away, no one, and I mean no one, will continue to buy anything that they know will be trashed............

That aside...there is the issue of WHY are these people sabatoging your efforts? Well, usually with boyfriends or SO, it's that they dont' want you to look "too good" because they are very insecure and are afraid you're going to leave them when you become better looking than you are, they honestly don't care that you're doing it for your health, well-being, etc., all they see is "she's losing weight, she'll leave me"..........

As for friends & roommates, you losing weight obviously makes you look good, they don't want that, they want to look good or as they perceive it to look better than you, therefore, they'll subtly or not so subtly sabatoge your efforts so you stay heavy.

You are doing this for YOU, not anyone else, life is always going to have stresses, temptations, people who don't like you losing weight, the issue is that you need to be stronger than them. Only you choose what you put in your mouth, no matter what food is sitting around or what you have access to, you in the end are the keeper of your own domain.

Dr. Phil's book "Weight Loss Solution" is a great resource for the psychological reasons people gain weight and also deals with "help" from less-than-honest people in your life..........

You can count on all of us for support, come here instead of trying to count on them for support, they are obviously having a problem with it.

You do need to talk to your boyfriend though, best to nip this controlling tactic in the bud.............

LL :)

DarthRaidr
Mon, Jun-07-04, 13:36
:mad: you wanna talk about sabatoge:
I live off a major route so I have to pass Subs place, burger king, Mcdonalds,
dunkin donuts, and taco bell..just to get to my bank or anywhere really,
At home ,my hubs brings home junk food constantly! and the kids always asking for some carb filled treat!

It's tough ,but it's something you can't get away from, I stuck pictures of me, around the house before and after(gained since that one)
Don't give them the satisfaction of destroying your efforts.. just say NO then go!

TonyT1965
Mon, Jun-07-04, 18:05
agree 100% with LucyLucy...

BUT.. theres only one person can do this, YOU... my wife and kids eat "normally", none are overweight, they have sweets, they have pizza, chips, crisps, everything.. and there is no way on earth i'd ask them not to put temptaion in front of me, if I cant do this WITHOUT removing temptation then I cant do it FULL STOP, simple as that...

be strong mate, if it was me I'd tell them to f*** off (sorry), but if you dont wana do that just tell them NO....

all the best..

Tony

p,s, some friends eh, all mine, and my family are behind me, shame really i think...

Logan
Tue, Jun-08-04, 00:10
biff it straight in the trash when they offer it to you. might seem a tad harsh but they've been asked nicely and are totally disrespecting you and your effort so........

as said above...they'll get the message smartly once they see their food being trashed. ;)

dazzlin182
Tue, Jun-08-04, 00:38
out of courtesy suppose you cant throw it out since they bought it for you (esp. dad or bf)? imho keep it - but dont eat it - offer to others thats not on any diet or whatever

PilotGal
Tue, Jun-08-04, 08:47
i think i agree with everyone who say "toss it".
I probably would make it a little game with them.. When they leave it around, I'd toss it and show them that they were spending their money foolishly.
Make it a basketball game... see how many I can dunk!!!
And I'd yell FOUR everytime i dunked one!!!! :D :D