PDA

View Full Version : Low-Carb with Celiac Disease

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

webgyrl
Sun, Jun-06-04, 20:51
Hello! Stumbled across this forum and glad I did! I start Atkins tomorrow, for the second time. I did this 2 summers ago and was into my 2nd month when I was bitten by a snake and ended up in the hospital for a bit and then on bed-rest for 5 weeks. Decided that if I was going to have to lie around, I was going to darn well eat what I wanted. That was the end of that venture into low-carb eating. lol

I've since moved and been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Since I've already cut out most carbs through no more bread, cookies, cakes, etc I decided to go all the way and get back into Atkins.

My goal is to lose 105 pounds. I'm currently at 305, 5'5". My goal is my pre-marriage weight. The females in my family are not small...I have a size 11 wide foot and at my pre-wedding weight of 200, I was a size 10/12. That's what I want to be again :-)

I lost 40 pounds in the 2 months when I was on Atkins before. I hope I'm as successful this time as well :-)

I've joined here for the chit chat and to talk with others going through the same type plan.

Of course, if anyone is in the northern VA area, I'd love to do a get together or something :-)

Quick facts about me: I'm 33, married 13 years in August, have 12 year old son and own a web design business that I run from my home. I'm a Mac (computer) freak as well as a sports car fanatic (I own a 99 Firebird TransAm). I LOVE to read, mostly brit chick type books, but my all time favorite author is Clive Cussler. Gotta love Dirk Pitt! :-)

That's it in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to getting to know folks here!

-Cherie
webgyrl.net

niudog
Sun, Jun-06-04, 21:03
Hey webgyrl - welcome to the forum!!! This is a very friendly place with lots of great info and recipes. I am also a Cussler fan!!! Its so easy for me to get lost in his books.

Good luck on this journey!!!

webgyrl
Sun, Jun-06-04, 21:05
Thanks for the welcome!

I will read a CC book in one sitting...just can't put it down. lol. He's got a few new ones coming out this year, one later this month. I'll be there money in hand when that day finally arrives :-D

- Cherie
webgyrl.net

kay3osu
Sun, Jun-06-04, 21:14
Hi Cherie!
I was also diagnosed with celiac and this is the only way to go. While you can still eat very high carb and not eat gluten foods, I think this WOE will heal you ....especially since your body responded so well to it the first time. That is a definite sign that this is the way your body is asking you to feed it. Well, you will find nothing but wonderful people here...You might want to pick up the books:

Dangerous Grains, James Bradley, M.D., Ron Hoggan, M.A.
Life Without Bread

I am always looking for new books. If you had to make a suggestion, which Clive book would you suggest I start out with?

Take care and all the best to you!! K

webgyrl
Sun, Jun-06-04, 21:33
Hi K,

Glad to see I'm not the only Celiac here :-) I've been GF since Feb of last year. I was sick for 11.5 years prior to that..in fact, since I was preggers with our son. That's when it developed. Yurgh. lol.

ALL CC books are great, my favorite is Dragon. You can start from any of them, but I do recommend starting with the first and moving on through from there. I'll get that order...looking now..

Ok..here is more than you ever wanted to know. LOL. CC started writing about a "hero" named Dirk Pitt. After many successful books, he added a new character Kurt Austin. In one of his Dirk Pitt books, he brought in a new cast and has now branched into writing about their adventures...they are the Oregon Chronicles.

Here ya go!

Dirk Pitt novels.....
1. Pacific Vortex!
2. The Mediterranean Caper
3. Iceberg
4. Raise the Titanic!
5. Vixen 03
6. Night Probe!
7. Deep Six
8. Cyclop
9. Treasure
10. Dragon
11. Sahara
12. Inca Gold
13. Shock Wave
14. Flood Tide
Dirk Pitt Revealed (1998) (with Craig Dirgo
15. Atlantis Found
16. Valhalla Rising (with Paul Kemprecos)
17. Trojan Odyssey

NUMA Files (Kurt Austin)....
1. Serpent (with Paul Kemprecos)
2. Blue Gold (with Paul Kemprecos)
3. Fire Ice (with Paul Kemprecos)
4. White Death (with Paul Kemprecos)
Lost City (release later this year)

Oregon Chronicles....
1. Golden Buddha (with Craig Dirgo)
2. Sacred Stone (release later this year)

ENJOY!!

-Cherie
webgyrl.net

LUCKYLADY
Sun, Jun-06-04, 21:51
Hi Cherie.....Welcome to the forum can't wait to cheer you on during your weight loss. I don't mean to sound stupid but what exactly is celiac disease?