PDA

View Full Version : Almond Thins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BettyR
Sat, Jun-05-04, 11:20
These things are so good!!!!! I've made sweet versions as well, they are great!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/161109-awsome-appetizers-2.html#post2125086

BlitzedAng
Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:51
I am going to try this for sure. Sounds like somthing to scoop up egg salad or my peanut butter with. Thank you so much :)
I'll post tomorrow how it turned out.

Angel

BlitzedAng
Sun, Jun-06-04, 13:11
I tried to make theese, broke quite a bit but who cares, yummmmm. I tested them on my toughest critic, my 4 year old. Put a lil peanut butter on and he wolfed it down.. I'd say this gets a thumbs up :thup:

Angel

PS.. I used crazy mixed up salt,mmmmmm

PecanPie
Sun, Jun-06-04, 14:50
These things are so good!!!!! I've made sweet versions as well, they are great!!

Almond Thins
posted by MiRedKitty on Low Carb Friends

1 cup almond flour
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, & onion powder

Preheat oven 325. Mix ingredients well. Place mixture onto a well greased piece of tin foil. Spray a piece of wax paper with cooking spray and lay over top of mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a cracker thickness. Gently remove wax paper. Sprinkle more salt on top if desired and press lightly into dough. Score with knife or pizza cutter into squares. Lay tin foil on rack in oven. Bake until golden brown about 10 minutes. Makes around 50 crackers.

Carb count is about 9 for the whole batch. You can also vary the flavor-use ranch powder, ground bacon bits, season salt...

These sound great, but I think the carb count is higher - 1 cup of almond flour is equal to 112 grams and 112 grams is 12 carbs. Still a great recipe though and one we plan to make as we head out for our vacation this week!

Thanks,

PecanPie
Sun, Jun-06-04, 19:51
Hi Again - Just wanted to let you know I made these and they are great! I actually added 2T of parmesan cheese to the mix. It upped the carbs a tiny bit but spread over 4 servings is negligble. They are great and my DH is having me make some for our trip to CA ( we leave Wednesday and he figures they will be gone by then!)

Thanks,
Pecan Pie

BettyR
Sun, Jun-06-04, 21:55
I'm so glad you enjoyed them, they've been a big hit on the other web site as well.

PecanPie
Mon, Jun-07-04, 07:58
Hi again - I was thinking last night you *might* be able to use this as a crust for a quiche, or if you put sweetner in them as a crust for a pie - or even to make sweet cookies. I think I may try this when I get back from vacation.

pecanpie

BettyR
Fri, Jun-11-04, 07:05
How funny, I guess great minds think alike. I just used it as a crust for a recipe of Pecan Tassies and it worked great. :D

jessicakjj
Sun, Jun-20-04, 20:36
I tried these crackers this evening! Delicious! Very important to peel them very gently from the foil so that they don't break.

kiwigal
Wed, Jul-21-04, 02:07
Hi, Just wanted to say that i made these a couple of days ago, did a double batch,ground the almonds myself so the texture wasn't fine and added 1/4 c ground flaxseed and 1/4 c sesame seeds,they turned out perfect,just like wheaty crackers and passed the family taste test! merrily added to lunch boxes with a wedge of pate or brie cheese.!YUM!

jadefox26
Wed, Jul-21-04, 02:09
yummmm this sounds like a really great one for going with cheese too - i miss my cheese and crackers - so i might try it too!

happy2lose
Tue, Sep-07-04, 12:00
I tried this recipe this weekend and they turned out fantastic! I miss the crunch of a cracker and these are great. The recipe is so simple, and has loads of room to play with. Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting...this one is a keeper!

Happy

BlitzedAng
Tue, Sep-07-04, 12:57
Another good use for theese is mix up 2 diced hard bloiled eggs with mayo in a bowl with salt and pepper and scoop up with the almond thins.. Yummmmmmmy change.

Angel

mandm621
Tue, Sep-14-04, 12:42
How do you make the sweet version?

nutsnseeds
Tue, Sep-14-04, 12:52
I made these last weekend and they vanished - everyone wanted some. So easy and sooo good and you don't have to wonder what is in them. I will be making a double batch tonight and will try to add some sesame seeds in. I found that a little salt on top really makes the cracker! Nice recipe - thanks for posting.

kiwigal
Sat, Jan-08-05, 00:56
CINNAMON THINS [from lindasue low carb friends]
3 ounces almond flour (1 cup)
4 teaspoons granular Splenda (try 8 teaspoons)
1 egg white
Pinch salt (try 1/8 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (try 1/2 teaspoon)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Make the same as for the Almond Thins, but sprinkle the topping over the dough before baking. Spread the topping evening over the dough with your hand.

Makes about 48-64 crackers

Per batch: 532 Calories; 43g Fat; 21g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs
Per 8 crackers: 67 Calories; 5g Fat; 3g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

cococarby
Fri, Feb-25-05, 00:22
I made these tonight but substituted 1/4 cup of the almond flour for Carbquik. They turned out awesome. Almost like a Ritz Cracker... very flakly and buttery, but still very sturdy. I added a little bit of Ranch seasoning to the batter too because I was out of garlic powder. The flavor and texture was amazing. I'm sure these would make great dippers but they taste so great by themselves I wouldn't want to cover 'em up. This recipe is definetely a KEEPER! :) :) :)

Sillychili
Fri, Apr-15-05, 21:47
How do you make the sweet version? I NEED cookies...bad...:(

Sillychili
Fri, Apr-15-05, 22:11
ignore me..I just saw it posted above, sorry...need cookies..

superaunt
Mon, Apr-18-05, 14:47
OMG. These things are amazing and soooooo versatile. I've made them more salty and more sweet with cinnamin and splenda. But my favorite way is the way my boyfriend makes them -- by adding LIQUID SMOKE and cayenne pepper and stuff. When he does it, they taste just like Jay's BBQ Potato Chips.... OUT OF THIS WORLD!! :)

We've also made it into a pizza crust, which was good (though pretty breakable).

Thanks sooooo much for this recipe! It's opened up sooo much for us! :)

MargaritaL
Wed, Apr-20-05, 13:52
The sweet version is adding some splenda to taste, then, you can add some flavour...vanella, cinnamon, etc

Sillychili
Tue, Jun-28-05, 10:39
I am a sweet freak looking for a sweet version like a couple of others on here...anyone?

Big thank you in advance:)

Anita

Sillychili
Tue, Jun-28-05, 10:41
I can see the sweet versions now but when I read this thread earlier they were not here...am I going crazy??? Never mind don;t answer tha..LOL rhetorical question..
Anita

dbaum
Fri, Jul-01-05, 07:32
I make these and replace the spices with taco seasoning and then dust the tops with a bit of salt and parmesan cheese. Very, very tasty

nomosketti
Fri, Jul-01-05, 21:30
Half almond flour, half flax meal, add some splenda, cinnamon, coconut extract and some flaked coconut. YUMMERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....topped with cream cheese. Just dont burn 'em like I did. :o

dbaum
Sat, Jul-02-05, 04:17
Oh my, I never thought of that combo. What a great idea nomosketti. I'll have to keep that in mind.

deb34
Mon, Jul-04-05, 11:35
add some vanilla extract and lemon extract and sprinkle the top with some granular sweetener and you could have a good substitute for lemon sugar cookies....of course i mean don't put in any of the savory ingredients like salt and pepper :)

dbaum
Mon, Jul-04-05, 13:47
Oh yummy. There's so much you can do with this recipe. I wonder if you can use cinnamn and granular Splenda to create a graham crackery kind of thing. Anyone tried that?

zesty
Sun, Oct-02-05, 00:27
no dbaum but try it and keep us posted it might be yummy

KimmieJake
Thu, Oct-13-05, 19:23
Thanks so much for this recipe! I love crackers, and was really missing them! These are so yummy and easy. I fix them 2 batches at a time!

Nakkira
Tue, Oct-18-05, 21:31
Thank you for this! I must say these are super good and very filling. Even my boyfriend who is really picky and HATES nuts with a passion absolutely loved them. WTG!

eve25
Wed, Oct-19-05, 15:12
tried these. they are the best lc think i've ever baked.

i made the original ones with a little hidden valley ranch seasoning. WOW....too good.
i made sweet ones with splenda, cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and ginger. not really graham crackers but definately good, like a spice cookie.

mrstmitch
Fri, Feb-17-06, 23:43
I just had to bump this... I've seen the recipe around, and just tried them today... they are SOOOO good!

I totally recommend following Linda Sue's observation about using parchment paper: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/almond_thins.html

I had never used parchment paper before for anything, but it was a really helpful tip. Also, when you roll them out, you have to make them super thin or else they can turn out a little chewy.

msdbobby
Sat, Sep-09-06, 14:19
I tried these and loved them!! I actually ate the whole batch :blush: I made the sweet version and tried them w/ pb & sf jam :yum: I made them alittle thicker than thins and they were perfect cookies. I'm dying to make them again but I don't know if I can control myself :D I definitely want to try the savory ones.

golflady59
Sat, Sep-09-06, 15:11
Ok, I am bookmarking this page. I have some almond flour and need something. Think I will try the southwestern ones, or all of them!

CarolynC
Sat, Apr-26-08, 16:06
I make these today. They are fabulous! They're so crunchy and taste a lot like the commercial Wheat Thins that I used to love.

I also used parchment paper (first time I'd ever tried it) and it worked out great.

sandi24
Sun, May-04-08, 13:39
I want to try these for sure! You say 3 ozs ground almond is 1 cup and lindasue's recipe says 3 ozs is 3/4 cup.. I don't want to mess this up so how much have you all been using?

rightnow
Thu, May-08-08, 19:34
I just made a very non-measured version of this earlier. I couldn't remember the details lol. I put in 1.5 cups almond flour, 1 egg white, 1.5 Tbsp water, and a little bit (sprinkling, not measured) of powdered parmesan, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and a tiny bit of oregano. I added some Rye flavoring (it's a powder I got at a baking supply), and some caraway seeds, then decided to add a few sesame seeds and poppy seeds too (not many).

Edited to add: forgot to mention! I also added about 1 tsp from a package of powdered mix for ranch dressing, and some dried onion flakes.

I don't own a rolling pin nor did I have space for that. I just used a fork till it was all dense and moist enough to be stuck together when pressed, dumped it on large-size jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with edges) on parchment paper, put another piece on top, and squished with my palms as much as I could to cover the surface (10"x14" I think). I knew it would be too thick but I didn't have much option. By the way the stuff will stick to anything, so the parchment was really necessary. If I even touched it with my finger it would come up off the pan with my hand.

I cooked it for about 25 minutes on 300 degrees. I checked it every 10 minutes or so and waited until most all the surface had changed from light gold to brown.

The bad: it was probably twice as thick as it should be especially on the edges, that was my fault, and, I've no idea of the carb count but it's higher since I added parm and other seeds. I was only experimenting casually right now but I'll do another eventually with measures and counts.

The good: I can't believe how great this tastes!!

I fine-shredded some colby jack, added minced garlic (fresh, not jar'd, mega difference in taste) and just enough mayo to make it sculptable, and then broke off some pieces of the sheet-sized nut-seed cracker and dipped them in that. We call that 'Toastez spread'. Wow, really yummy! I have eggs cooling for some egg salad I thought we might just eat by dishing it out on the cracker-chunks.

At some point when I have a whole day, I'm going to have to experiment with several variants on this at once. This one worked awesomely. Seriously, I am not a big cracker person though I guess I like quality veggie-herb crackers and rye bread and this was sort of in between. Heavier and denser than a cracker from a box, but tastes frankly even better. This is as close as I can get to an everything-bagel I guess, one of every kind of seed!

I'd like to try the cinnamon variant, but I want to get a rolling pin first. :-)

Since this is an almond base, I'd like to see if it's possible to get some sweet variant like chocolate. I'm just thinking that if it could be done, then broken up in the bottom of a bowl with some sliced strawberries and cream it might be interesting, or used as a "crumble" on other things.

I think this is an excellent 'base' recipe -- much like the mock danish, the flax bread, the deep dish quiche pizza, the revroll/oopsie, this is more a "concept" recipe that can be experimented with infinitely. I'd really like to hear how other people's stuff came out (and does in the future) and what ideas people have.

For example, I was thinking that they make tomato bouillion powder (mexican section of my store), and I bet if I added a little of that, and some basil and oregano, it would be interesting.

I was also thinking of other sweet variants, since almond's great with everything -- like, what about a little banana flavor, or lemon?

Terrific idea, thanks for posting this!!

PJ

CarolynC
Wed, May-28-08, 17:10
I want to try these for sure! You say 3 ozs ground almond is 1 cup and lindasue's recipe says 3 ozs is 3/4 cup.. I don't want to mess this up so how much have you all been using?
I use 1 cup of ground almond and the egg white from a large size egg. However, I think 3/4 cup should work OK, too. And, it doesn't matter if you get some of the egg yolk in this.

Also, I like to brush these with melted butter, to make a buttery cracker. I put the butter on when they're about half way done baking.

sandi24
Wed, May-28-08, 17:24
Thank you! ;)

kekeland
Sat, Aug-16-08, 00:00
I made this too!
but I think I didnt thin them enough ( i just use a plastic wrap and press them with my hand..but it was still kinda thick)
instead of thins...i made something like a tortilla bread

samina9027
Tue, Jun-02-09, 08:36
Hi again - I was thinking last night you *might* be able to use this as a crust for a quiche, or if you put sweetner in them as a crust for a pie - or even to make sweet cookies. I think I may try this when I get back from vacation.

pecanpie

Hi can you pls tell me how this can be made into sweet cookies, I'm picturing them to turn out like the almond biscottis.... just dont know how to go about achieving this....would you know

Many thanks

crease
Sun, Jun-21-09, 11:48
ok i made these today and used some parm cheese and ranch popcorn seasoning in my dough. OMG delish! i didn't get them quite thin enough for crispy crackers tho. next time.