PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mama Mouse
Sat, Jun-05-04, 05:46
Hi ... I've spent a good portion of the night and morning reading some of this forum and think it is in a word .... STUPENDOUS!! I now am brimming with questions, but first let me intorduce myself.

I go by Mama, Mama Mouse, or Mickey ... and I'm not a youngster any longer ... and have been married for a LOT more than 25 years! I two adult sons and have been overweight (fat) since I got pg the first time. I have over 100 pounds to lose ... and have tried a few diets that got me nowhere. Low fat .... BAH! WW ... didn't work. Portion control ... can't do it.

I have MANY medical conditions that I am hoping to alleve by losing weight and eating the LC way. My dr has approved Atkin's ... but that was two years ago (before my heart bypass) and I am going to recheck with him later this month before actually starting induction. My dh is also going on this with me as he has a considerable amount of weight to lose also.

Bascially that is it for an intro for now. And I'm only asking one question at the moment as I am boggled by the amount of info I've read in the last few hours.

My main question is about induction and carb counting. On the Atkin's induction pages that I printed the other day it gives lists of the foods you can have but it doesn't list the carb counts. It says you can have 2 cups of the salad veggies and one of the higher carb veggies or 3 of the salad veggies and none of the higher ones. ANYHOOOOO .... the question is ... should you count the carbs or just pile veggies in a measuring cup to measure ... and let it go at that? Seems like you'd need to count to me.

Also, along the same lines .... I take many medications, both prescribed and OTC .... and they probably all have some trace amounts of carbs in them ... in varying degrees from almost none to maybe .3 grams. All of these add up as I take upwards of 20 pills a day (supplements included) .... do I count THOSE carbs?

I guess what is getting me confused is all the 'trace amounts' .... do I watch them .... and should I use FitDay from Day One ... and use IT as my guide to my 20 carbs ... or go by the plan I printed off from the Atkin's web site?

Thanks in advance for answering .... and thanks for being here.

TarHeel
Sat, Jun-05-04, 06:40
Hello and welcome, Mama Mouse. I don't really have the answers to your questions, but someone with a more scientific mind should come along eventually.

From what I've heard, a kitchen scale is the best way to carefully measure your portions. Do I have one? Nope. I don't think you need worry too much about precise amounts of lc vegetables. Just use the cup suggestion as a general guide.

The question about counting carbs in supplements and medications is one I've wondered about as well, but I decided that 5 mg of Lipitor a day could not possibly have any significant amount. Even if it were pure sugar, it's only about half the size of a TicTac.

It is a good idea to use FitDay, at least at first, so as to get a "feel" for what some of your favorite lc meals contain. (Plus, it's like banging your head against a wall----it feels so good when you eventually give up the hassle with it! :D )

Anyhow, good luck to you,

Kay

potatofree
Sat, Jun-05-04, 10:18
I measured the amounts at first, just to get an idea of what 2 cups looked like, but it's nearly impossible to go over 20 grams net carbs on salad veggies without sprouting long ears and a fluffly tail. (My tail is PLENTY fluffly..but getting less so...:D )

The meds and supplements are a judgement call. If you feel better counting them as a couple of grams a day go ahead, I'd just hate to see you drive yourself crazy over .03 here and .50 there or heaven forbid, go without some nutritious veggies out of fear of going over. I'd say as long as they aren't sugar-based liquids and such, don't worry.

You're wise to check with the doctor again, and fortunate to have a doctor enlightened enough not to discourage you.

Best of luck!

Mama Mouse
Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:05
Thanks ... I'll relax about my meds ... and not worry too much about getting too many carbs through the veggies. Just so my ears don't grow long and pointy!!

Mama Mouse
Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:07
Kay ... I am going to check out FitDay and sign up ... it sounds like a good thing ... but I'm not going to go crazy worrying any longer! Thanks.

Lindym
Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:44
Welcome to the forum. The catch with "trace" carbs, is that a lot of foods do have a trace and the US doesn't count anything under 1 carb. So, for instance, coffee: it will show at 0 carbs FOR A 6 OZ CUP!! Now if you have an 14 oz mug like I do, you have 2 carbs because of the trace in the 6 oz that doesn't have to be stated. You would have to REALLY overdo the recommended veggies to top 20 carbs ;) Cheeses and dairy are where it's easy to go over. I still measure everything, but thats just me, I can guestimate and be right on. Just habit to measure.

I love this way of eating (WOE) and will continue after I reach goal, but hidden carbs can be a snag. Read labels carefully (on the back), don't go by the front wording.

Lots of good info and support here. Don't be afraid to ask.