PDA

View Full Version : Karena the carb newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

karena3
Fri, Jun-04-04, 23:35
Hello fellow carb-counters,

I have posted a few notes here and there since yesterday, but thought I should formally introduce myself.

I have Type I diabetes and am on an insulin pump (animas). I have been diabetic for nearly 20 years now. (I will be 40 in December -- yikes!). My diabetes has been under poor control since I had my second baby in September 2002. Plus, though I lost all my pregnancy weight by training for and doing a marathon last June, it is creeping back. So, my objectives are to obtain better control of my diabetes AND lose weight.... a very tall order, but I am up for the challenge!

I have been on Atkins induction now for 11 days, but only had my first clean day yesterday. (I cheated badly on Memorial Day!). Because I am also getting under better control with my blood sugars, I am also puffing up (retaining water). This actually makes me feel much fatter, which really sucks! But, it would be a lot worse if I were not controlling carbs. I've been through this before, and know that the puffiness will last about 3-4 weeks. Therefore, I am not going to even weigh myself until after that!

The hardest part so far is just feeling plain crappy, and knowing that a couple of oreos will make me feel SO much better (at least momentarily). I am also having a hard time concentrating at work (I am an attorney), so my work is really piling up, and I'm stressed. I have two toddler boys, so the home environment is not entirely stress free either. Not to mention the fact that I often consider my DH my third child! :D :D

On the bright side, I realize that this condition is temporary, and that after doing this a while I am going to look and feel much better. I just really need this support group to get me through this!

Akasha
Fri, Jun-04-04, 23:38
Hey Karena. If you wanted support, you came to the right place. Everyone here is so helpful and kind. Good luck with your new WOL. I know how hard it can be at first, trust me. But it gets much easier, especially after you start seeing great results!

karena3
Fri, Jun-04-04, 23:59
Hey Akasha,

Thanks. It looks like you and I have nearly the same weight loss goals. I'd also like to reach my goal weight of 130 by Christmas 2004.

I'm also going to begin training for another marathon, in January, so I've really got to get on the stick with the training.

Congrats on your cheat free streak!