PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian bbq at work tomorrow help! i have ????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fishergirl
Thu, Jun-03-04, 15:44
tomorrow they are catering in hawaiian bbq
most of the chicken is fried and lightly breaded
If I pull the bread off can I eat it?

Some of their chicken has a bbq sauce and no breading
can I wipe the sauce off and eat it?

HELP!

peace
fg

TonyT1965
Fri, Jun-04-04, 03:35
i think you'll be fine, just be careful... removing the breading will be a definite help, and if you can take the sauce off then that will be good also, but the meat is fine and so long as you're careful you should have no problems, you can also have the salad, and if theres any nuts around a few of these would be ok too..

all the best..

Tony

PecanPie
Fri, Jun-04-04, 07:28
I think you are better off with the breaded chicken and removing the breading than trying to wipe off the sauce. They likely will have cooked the chicken in the sauce and it will have penetrated the meat so even if you wipe it off you will still be getting a lot of the sauce which I think is probably going to have lots of sugar in it. You might get lucky and they will cook some pork (they should have pork if it's a luau theme :D) as that is often slow roasted. Good luck!

yoda_san
Fri, Jun-04-04, 09:25
This is a sore point with me, how people at your work will order stuff in sometimes without checking what people might like to have or what the varied diets are. :mad:

fishergirl
Fri, Jun-04-04, 09:53
thanks for the helpful information!!
I just rode up on the elevator and they must of had 20 cakes, ughh
talk about will power!!!!
I just have to tell myself if I eat a regular meal loaded with carbs tomorrow I will weigh 10 more pounds!
There will be rice- i dont have a problem turnin that away
the macaroni salad is my favorite, but I WILL turn that away
I am hoping for some type of meat that I can eat, and I will look for the
least sauciest piece or rip off the breading
the cakes is where I am going to have the problem, and the hawaiian bread from Kings Hawaiian Bakery, nothing in the world like it!
Not to mention, Kings Hawaiian Bakery, does not cater to low carbers, because they think it is a passing fad :-(

Well wish me luck, I will post in my journal the outcome of this hawaiian madness

peace
fg

edie
Fri, Jun-04-04, 18:10
You will do fine tomorrow!! It's usually somrthing unexpected that we don't have time to think out that sets us off the Low Carb plan. You seem to have thought it all through...so good luck!! ...Edie... P.S. Congrats on your weight loss so far!!

cheez whiz
Sat, Jun-05-04, 07:27
Eat something low carb before you go that always helps. Then you don't get as hungry.

nicolasix
Sun, Jun-06-04, 00:51
I think it's great that you're preparing for your ordeal! At least the bbq won't take you by surprise.

Why does at-work food have to be so junky? BBQ is better than the ubiquitous penne pasta with "marinara" sauce (lumpy ketchup, usually) for Atkinsers, but vegetarians are pretty much screwed...

Anyway, you sound totally on top of the situation; I admire you!

Lobstergal
Sun, Jun-06-04, 06:45
Doesn't a *real* Hawaiian BBQ have roast pig?

fishergirl
Tue, Jun-08-04, 11:52
YAY!!! I did it!!! and I am happier that I didnt cheat!!
At the barbque there was terriaki beef (dont eat red meat so I was okay)
They had my favorite chicken katsu, lightly breaded chicken deep fried,
ate none of it, they had kaluha pork, it was shredded and on a bed of cabbage, so i had lotta pork, little cabbage.
they had my favorite macaroni salad, ate none of it!
they had cakes and cookies, and I ate not one bite :-)

Since starting this new way of life on May21st
I have no skin tags on my neck, I have gotten my period
and have lost a total of 19 pounds :-)
YAY ME!!!

bonesigh
Tue, Jun-08-04, 11:56
WTG fishergirl! :)

BTW, you can eat cabbage (without any sweet seasoning, of course)

Mike :)

bcbeauty
Tue, Jun-08-04, 12:02
Eat something low carb before you go that always helps. Then you don't get as hungry.
I think so too! This is how I always deal with dinners and functions that I don't know the menu for. I never go to them hungry.
Congratulations on your success so far and at your bbq

oldcodfish
Tue, Jun-08-04, 12:13
Heh, way to go!!!!
and by the way...what is a skin tag?

fishergirl
Tue, Jun-08-04, 16:24
it seems women with pcos get skin tags, and until i joined this board i had no idea they were related to pcos (poly cystic ovarian syndrome)
They are quarter size (sometimes larger, sometimes smaller) irregular shaped spots on the skin, they dont itch, they are not scaly or gross, just a bother when you want to wear your hair up. mine are ... were :-) light tan in color and they were on the back of my neck. They are not even really noticable, boy so far I love the LC way of life.
Thanks to all of you!!!
peace
fg

oldcodfish
Thu, Jun-10-04, 01:13
I am jealous, I have lost nothing....and I started on May 27th....with only the cheesecake mishap. Hmm...I guess I will just have to be patient.
:)