PDA

View Full Version : Can I eat these?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

skpaddie
Wed, Jun-02-04, 07:41
i just bought a packet of sugar free sweets after lunch. It says sugar free on the front but the carb count is pretty high and its not broken down into fibre etc. :mad: Here are the ingredients: isomalt, aspartame, acesulfame k, citric acid, malic acid, tartaric acid, vegtable oil, colouring.

AFwife
Wed, Jun-02-04, 07:43
NOPE you can't have them, or rather, you shouldn't have them.

I don't recommend it.

tofi
Wed, Jun-02-04, 07:52
isomalt is a sugar alcohol type of thing.

Hungry247
Wed, Jun-02-04, 09:15
Can we eat "low carb" stuff during induction say at Danato's (Low carb pizza 19 net grams) I know it kinda blows it for the whole day...

How about atkins cereal and bars and stuff. LC peanut brittle?
I'll stop there I don't want to cause a carb accident for anyone but you get where I'm going right?

featherz
Wed, Jun-02-04, 09:24
I'd skip ALL that stuff during induction. Just eat regular food and skip all the 'treats' for at least that much time.

cmcole
Wed, Jun-02-04, 10:37
Induction is to clean your body of the toxins and help you learn to make better choices.

Pizza crust, because it still contains flour (likely) is saved for the grains rung of OWL - a ways into your LC journey, yet.

Processed foods, regardless of their LC label, are just that, and are not the whole, natural foods that was the original intention of this way of eating.

Fine for later in the plan, in a pinch, but best to avoid in the beginning stages.

tomsej
Wed, Jun-02-04, 11:11
Please go to this link and read the Rules of Induction.

If you are trying to just eat processed foods you are going to have a lot of trouble losing weight.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

These rules are here to try out the diet. They are the cornerstone to Atkins and if you don't follow them, you will have a tough time troubleshooting your problem.

There are lots of people on this forum who hate to cook - I like to cook myself, so this diet is easier for me. I would suggest finding some quick and tasty recipes that appeal to your palate. The sooner you find real food to replace your old habits the better.

I tried to lose and maintain on lots of franken-foods and junk. I happened to work for me, but I could not maintain and I gained it all back, plus taxes!!

As Dr. Atkins said, READ AND MEMORIZE THESE RULES LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.

Tom.

Hungry247
Wed, Jun-02-04, 12:04
Induction is to clean your body of the toxins and help you learn to make better choices.

Pizza crust, because it still contains flour (likely) is saved for the grains rung of OWL - a ways into your LC journey, yet.

Processed foods, regardless of their LC label, are just that, and are not the whole, natural foods that was the original intention of this way of eating.

Fine for later in the plan, in a pinch, but best to avoid in the beginning stages.

Thanks for putting it nicely. BTW Donato's pizza is low carb because of no crust does that make a difference?

Jenn1851
Wed, Jun-02-04, 12:30
I would stay away from that stuff--for at least two weeks and then slowly you can add more carbs. A great treat for me is peanut butter but beware the LC brand tastes terrible!!

Hungry247
Wed, Jun-02-04, 13:19
Can't believe anything you hear and half of what you read. I perfer to get comments from people that have been there. People who don't have anything to gain from swaying my opinion.

By the way I have read the book and I have heard of people using things not on the allowable foods list and still being successful.

AFwife
Wed, Jun-02-04, 13:29
Perhaps, but when you are starting something new, something you've never done before, IMO you should follow the instructions. After you've done it correctly and still can't get it to work for you then experiment a little. Maybe it'll work better if I do this, nope that doesn't work maybe this. Get what I mean.

Hungry247, I'm not trying to be rude or mean, and I can understand that many want to know if a certain something will work. But why should I be the one to say, oh yeah I had that and still lost weight and then they do it and they gain 10 pounds and then are blaming me cause hey I was the one after all that said, Go ahead eat it. :lol:

Try it out, tweek it and keep at it, eventually you'll find something that works for you.

Like Tom said,

These rules are here to try out the diet. They are the cornerstone to Atkins and if you don't follow them, you will have a tough time troubleshooting your problem.

Arizona B
Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:37
Go to the Atkins site and you will find all of the receipes you will need for all four phases of Atkins. Induction is the lowest in carbs for a reason. If you are hunting for replacemnets for your old standins right off the bat you are already in trouble. This is about changing the way you eat for the rest of your life. Please go back and read the book. Your just setting yourself up for failure if you don't.

potatofree
Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:48
The no-crust pizza is fine. As for the SF candies, you won't be missing much in waiting for a while, but I seriously dont think having one if it keeps you from going berserk is going to be the end of the world.
It's such an individual thing with cravings and stalls and all, nobody could say for sure what would happen for you. Hang tight!

Arizona B
Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:48
I have a receipe for no crust pizza that is allowed in Induction. It's really easy. You use your hamburger as your crust. You use a 8x11 baking dish and form the hamburger to the shape of the pan. Make sure you press the hamburger a little up the sides of the pan. Bake the hamburger at 350 until it is just slightly pink. Remove it from the oven and soak up all of the juices from the top and from around the sides with paper towel. You just start putting all of the toppings on top as you would a regular pizza. Go easy on the onions or anything that has carbs and use alot of cheese. Put it back in the oven and bake until the cheese is good and melted. My family loves this !!

adukart
Wed, Jun-02-04, 16:50
I think the funniest thing about this thread is the allowed foods list. Alot of people say stay to the allowed foods list but look at the bottom of the list http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.

Now if that doesn't confuse a newbie I don't know what will, it's not listed that way in my book (although I may have to double check)

potatofree
Wed, Jun-02-04, 20:03
Amy...exactly my point! :D There's no harm in asking for clarification. Of course, sometimes "clarification" is even MORE confusing....

Hungry247
Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:20
umm what happened to some of the posts?

Hungry247
Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:36
I think the funniest thing about this thread is the allowed foods list. Alot of people say stay to the allowed foods list but look at the bottom of the list http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Now if that doesn't confuse a newbie I don't know what will, it's not listed that way in my book (although I may have to double check)
:confused: That's confusing as what. However seeing as how I've gone down a notch on my belt in 7 days while only having a spoonful of LC ice cream every now and then I think I'll stick to what I'm doing for now. :cool:

lasert
Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:53
and then thin about all the money they are now making off their products.
I'm sorry, but the Atkins corporation folks are just like any other, greedy and trying to make as much money as they can as fast as they can.
Just read the threads on sugar alcohols and the way they went from being "off the allowable" lists to suddenly "allowable" once the good kind folks at Atkins found a way to make all of the sweets they now sell with the big "NET carbs" labels on the front and the total carbs count on the back.
IMHO you are better off reading his original books and skipping most of the quickie junkfood they have come out with in the past few years.
This forum answers a great many questions and you will find lots of tips for good recipes and tricks to use preparing or cooking foods that are really tasty. Karen has some excellent recipes for instance and many have pitched in with their favorites.
I still have the four meal bars I bought 8 months ago and placed in my glove box in my car "in case" I ever simply had to have a meal and couldn't find a suitable place to eat etc.. Somehow, with a little planning, that emergency has never come to pass..................