PDA

View Full Version : Green Beans While on Induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rindy_Rue
Wed, Jun-02-04, 06:40
Hello All,
I just started this WOE a couple of days ago and I have a lot of weight to lose. I want to try and stay on Induction as long as I can (past the two weeks) w/o cheating.
I have read many of the forums here and have learned so much that I am beginning to fill my brain bulge. :p
After reading several posts about people eating green beans while on induction I decided to give it a whirl myself, but now I am wandering if this is legal or not. I really don't want to mess up, but I really like a little more variety than what the list allows.
I am not a big veggie person except for the ones that I can't have. I used to eat peas and corn every night at dinner, I mean truly almost every night. I am trying new things and finding out that some are actually pretty darn good...cauliflower faux potatoes! broccoli and cheese! and I may even get the nerve up to try avacado, since I read such rave reviews on it while searching one of the recipe forums on here.
Thanks to all of you LC'ers for your posts. They have been a LC Bible for me as I get started.

nikkil
Wed, Jun-02-04, 06:55
You ARE allowed to have green beans on Induction - they're listed as 'string' or 'wax' beans on the Induction list, but they're all the same thing (can be yellow or green).

1 cup of canned green beans (ie Green Giant), drained of liquid, has 3.5g ECC.

These are a staple for me, dripping in butter. I also make a cheddar sauce and put a can of green beans and some chopped ham in it for a 'casserole' - YUM!

Take care,
Nicole

VanWinkle
Wed, Jun-02-04, 07:09
Green beans are a great choice. They only have around 5 net carbs per cup (with a good bit of fiber). I was never much a veggie person either, but now I only get my carbs from the "good" veggies like asparagus, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, spinach, kale, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, etc. You have a much better shot at sticking with the program if you start to incorporate only the "good" veggies as your carbs.

Also, enter the food you eat into FitDay.com each day as this will give you a pretty good idea of if you are getting the correct amount of carbs (and how many calories you are actually consuming). I don't do FitDay.com much anymore because I pretty much now know what a portion is and what are the correct foods to eat. I'm 7 weeks into this way of eating.

Also, you might not want to stay on induction too long. 20 carbs is pretty low and some say that if you continue to try to stay on Induction, you might not stick with the plan and it is hard to get all the vitamins and nutrients that you need.

I'm keeping my carb intake around 40 net carbs which is plenty of veggies (I could have 8 cups of green beans a day!).

Remember, that after a few weeks of eating this new food, your taste buds will change and you will probably really enjoy the veggies. Someone once told me that if you eat a food 10 times, you will start to like it (probably).

So, go ahead and eat veggies.

LilaCotton
Wed, Jun-02-04, 21:17
broccoli and cheese!

And you think that's good--try broccoli (either hot or cold) with your favorite salad dressing! :D

Oh, so darned glad I've never been veggie challenged! LOL

Peas are great for later on in the plan--they're fairly low-carb, high-nutrient--but as I said, you want to wait until later. Corn, however, well, corn is a grain--not a veggie. ;)

And yep--just make sure to drench those green beans in butter! :D

bcbeauty
Wed, Jun-02-04, 23:20
I just love green beans. As with all veggies tho just remember fresh or frozen are much better for you (and better tasting) than canned.
Since starting this woe I too have been trying new veggies as I need variety.
New favs are: asparagus,spaghetti squash and (sheesh) fried cabbage...( who'd a thunk?)

nikkil
Thu, Jun-03-04, 04:17
I agree that fresh green beans are awesome but I can't stand the frozen ones, for some reason :rolleyes: Canned green beans are great to have in your cupboard for those times when you're out of fresh, can't get to the store, are in a hurry, or are just feeling too hungry or lazy! At least you know you can grab a can for a snack or to accompany your protein. I just don't like the frozen (sorry! :p ). I DO rinse the canned ones, tho, because of the sodium....

take care,
Nicole

jadefox26
Thu, Jun-03-04, 04:32
Green beans - yummmmmm I always opt for these if I am eating vegies - broccoli is fantastic too! :-)

Rindy_Rue
Thu, Jun-03-04, 05:46
Thanks everyone, I do not know what I was thinking. I read the induction list several times and I guess since it didn't actually say "green" beans then I thought it wasn't on the list...glad to know that it is!
Tried fried cabbage last night, DH loved it! I could live without it, I thought it was too strong, maybe next time I will just cook the bacon for the grease and then store the bacon for some other use...it was way to strong (the bacon).
Trying broccoli and cheese casserole tonight!...whole family is excited. ;)
What do avacado's taste like? I love gaucomole (sp?) but I have never had an avacado by itself.

sqkitty
Thu, Jun-03-04, 08:18
I have been eating green beans since day 2 and have had no0 problems because of them. They are one of the few veggies that I can stomach. I eat frozen, never canned. Fresh is probably great too.

bcbeauty
Thu, Jun-03-04, 08:23
I find that avacado tastes like a mild buttery treat. I add a little salt...and indulge. I love love love it!
Just cut it in half (lengthwise) there is a large pit in the middle. discard it and just scoop the avacado out with a spoon. Avacado is also just fantastic on salad or with eggs.

BUTTERBALL
Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:11
Wow You Mean I Can Have Canned Green Beans????

I Eat It Occassionaly Cuz I Didnt Think It Was Allowed...(and I've Been Lc Since 3/1....duh)

Im Gonna Have Beans Tonite

Paris
Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:22
I :rheart: green beans!

My mama makes a low-carb casserole with green beans, butter/cheese sauce, ham chunks and sauteed mushrooms. A real treat!

Rachelle
Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:32
Green Beans are awesome.. Buttery and delicious ;)

Avacado is also a great source of healthy fats.. i actually put salt and a bit of lemon juice on mine ...

You might also want to try Asparagus.. steam them with butter and salt and they are a good variation as well ...

Janetly
Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:36
Avacado tastes just like guacamole (considering that its 90% of it is avacado). It is probably my all time favorite food. Its smooth, thick, bright, and buttery. I like to smash it up with a fork so its still kind of chunky, sprinkle garlic powder, black pepper and salt (not too much) and eat it with said fork. It is delicious. You can also make quacamole salad, add lettuce, tomato, onion and olives (like a taco salad without the taco part). Avacado is also really yummy sliced up on a bacon cheese burger. Avacados are chock full of good fat and good vitamins.

There are a few tricks to buying avacados. If you're getting the Haas kind (smaller, bumpy dark green skin) they need to be somewhat squishy. When you sqeeze them, they should give - that is how you know they are ripe. If there arent any that do give, you can still buy them ('specially if they are on sale) then keep them in a brown paper bag in a cupboard for a few days. After 2 or 3 days you should feel them squish.

The most important thing to remember about Avacados is - they oxidize. As soon as you cut one open, it will start oxidizing and turn brown. This is perfectly normal, and perfectly acceptable to eat. Most people freak out if they turn brown after an hour... its okay I promise. If you're too squeemish to eat it that way, when you first make it, mix in a bit of lemon juice. The citric acid will slow down the browning.

I hope you enjoy my favorite food :)

Rachelle
Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:39
Oh.. another thing about avacado's... if you leave the seed in it will not turn brown.. the seed fixs that problem.. so lets say you make guacamole.. and you have extra and throw it in the fridge.. throw the seed in with it.. and it should cut down on the brown color :D

thinmom2b
Thu, Jun-03-04, 12:27
Avacados are soo good. Just expensive. I eat them all the time. They are good with taco salads minus the taco and just about anything. I love avacados.

johnself
Thu, Jun-03-04, 13:06
Canned beans? Eek! It's summertime -- go for the real (fresh) thing; canned veggies are missing a lot of the nutrients and fiber.

Rindy_Rue
Thu, Jun-03-04, 16:19
Definately going to have to try the avacado, sounds delish! Wow, I have really been missing out on a lot by eating "normal". I think I might actually start liking this woe! There are things I do miss though, which I am sure the rest of you have items that you miss as well so I want get into any of them. I do have one more question (one more for the time being :p )...Can I have sugar free pancake syrup during induction. I have a terrible sweet tooth and although I haven't been craving sugar I thought I would add a little to my scrambled eggs this morning since I am not a big egg person. Everything seemed to go fine afterwards, no severe cravings for sugar or anything. So give me your opinion, should I indulge or not?

nikkil
Fri, Jun-11-04, 04:14
Well, I guess that's just up to you. Why eat eggs if you don't like them? Check out the breakfast area of the Recipe section for some ideas on how to 'disguise' eggs or for other ideas to have instead of the eggs.

I can eat eggs the way they are, but I like to put ketchup on scrambled eggs -- have you tried the Heinz 1-Carb ketchup?? I am telling you - you will NOT be able to tell the difference between this and the full sugar Heinz. It's excellent. I've tried some sf ketchup's that I just ended up throwing out, they are so bad, but the Heinz.... :yum: :yum: :yum:

take care,
Nicole

ps: okay, this is gonna sound weird, but for a treat (after induction), try some full fat cottage cheese with sf pancake syrup on it -- wow :lol:

nikkil
Fri, Jun-11-04, 04:28
Canned beans? Eek! It's summertime -- go for the real (fresh) thing; canned veggies are missing a lot of the nutrients and fiber.

I would never say that fresh isn't better than canned -- only that sometimes, when you're in a pinch, the canned veggies have their place. If you're sick and can't get out to buy fresh, limited $$, no time to go shopping because you're working rotating schedules in 3 different hospitals and have 3 kids, a dog and a cat, and do volunteer work at your kids' schools...uhhh, okay, I think you get my point :D :D :D

I would, however, take fresh green beans dripping in butter with maybe some lemon juice sprinkled on anytime!!

Take care,
Nicole :)

BlitzedAng
Sat, Jun-12-04, 08:41
I ate green beans at least once a day on induction. With butter of course :)

Angel

Tesora
Sat, Jun-12-04, 08:46
wow nikkil...green beans in butter sounds AMAZING. I would never think of that, but since atkins is pro-butter, I'm excited! looks like I found my lunch for today :-) Thanks for the suggestion