PDA

View Full Version : Nicky here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nickier
Sat, May-29-04, 18:42
I have been big all my life (turning 40 this year).
I have tried a few diets over the years.
From one extreme to the other: Fit for Life and then Atkins.
I did well on both but sticking to either for long term was difficult.

I had my annual checkup last month.
I had lost 18 pounds probably since last fall when I made some changes at home.
However at just under 400 pounds my doctor asked me to consider a lap band procedure.
I am not really interested in that but going to the presentation in about 10 days.

I have had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since I was two years old.
My knees are the worse problem I have. The weight does not help.

I really am lacking energy really need to change that.
I remember last time I was on Atkins increased energy was a nice side effect.
I read the Atkins book probably over 10 years ago.
And I also read the Atkins Revolution (which came after - but lot of the same info).

I am headed out to the grocery store tomorrow and I guess I need to buy Atkins-wise.
Biggest problem is I have never been a big meat eater. I do like chicken.
I bought a chicken cookbook last time around to keep making it different.

orchidday
Sat, May-29-04, 19:57
Hi Nicky: So glad to have you join us on the forum. I hope you will give Atkins another try before you make a firm decision about surgery. Without the forum, I don't think I would have made it this far, and I still have a long way to go. The extra support, advice, good cries, great laughs, etc. make all the difference to the world to me and help pick me up when I fall. You might consider checking out the Triple Digits Club thread which is where those of us who want to lose 100+ pounds gather. Of course, we all use the rest of the forum too! Welcome aboard! Orchid

nickier
Sat, May-29-04, 20:18
Thanks for the welcome.
I did notice the Triple Digit Club forum.

I really am not keen on having a foreign body put into my body.
I am already having too many problems with my arthritis.
My mom is coming with me to the presentation.
She was excited about it until she started reading about the procedure.
At least I can tell the doctor I considered it.

My thought is if I am really losing 2 pounds a month on my own that is good.
I do not even know exactly what I was doing completely.
But thinking back about food choices a lot of it was from the Atkins diet.
So I thought I would get serious about the Atkins diet again.

I generallly get a simple cheese omelet for breakfast and for lunch get meats and cheese from the salad bar.
Both of these meals are at work. The problem is getting appropriate food in the house for my dinner meal.
I live alone and do not like to spend much time on food.

I do have a fiance who stands behind whatever decision I make.
He is concerned about my health and will help however he can.

LilaCotton
Sat, May-29-04, 21:50
Welcome! I think you're to be commended for managing to lose weight on your own like that. :) Unfortunately, too many of us left to our own devices end up gaining and gaining, LOL.

Could you outline why sticking with Atkins was difficult? Was it the fact you have a hard time cooking dinner and such? If so, make sure to check out the recipe forum here because it's a gold mine! A lot of folks will have a cooking day once in a while, where they prepare a lot of food and freeze it for later use. This might be a good thing for you. For example, you could buy enough fresh veggies to make a large salad that could serve 4 or more dinners and keep it in the fridge, and fry up some chicken breast to eat with your salad. Frozen vegetables are also really handy. One of my favorite afternoon snacks is broccoli or cauliflower with cheese. It's easy to go to the freezer, pull out a couple handfuls of the vegetables, toss them into a bowl and microwave them.

I've found that we create a lot of simple meals that take max 30-minute prep time. It used to be we'd slave away in the kitchen for hours on end, and now with LCing our meals taste much better than before with not nearly half the work.

I've also noticed that while LCing we eat bunches of food no one would even consider touching before (well, I have to draw the line at asparagus ;)). Part of that is the lack of digestive problems, and part of it is a change in taste.

I love meat, but usually I don't eat it three meals a day and still get at least 100 grams of protein a day. A lot of different foods have protein and it's amazing how a few grams here and there in addition to a couple of servings of proteineous foods adds up. :)

sevenclark
Sat, May-29-04, 22:13
Welcome, Nickier;
It's good to have you here. You'll get all the help you want and need here, just ask away!
Julie

vegaskelly
Sat, May-29-04, 22:28
I am a fellow newbie so I just wanted to drop a not and tell you how much these message boards have helped me out this past week. Everyone here is so supportive and caring, they have really made an impact on me staying on this WOE.
Welcome aboard! :D

nickier
Sun, May-30-04, 03:33
The main problem was the lack of variety over the long haul.
Generally I am not that much of a meat eater or salad bar eater.
In one way it was a relief to read to only pick certain items from the salad bar.
They have a salad bar at work. They usually have some chicken strips on it.
And then shredded cheese or creme cheese with olive spread.

LilaCotton
Mon, May-31-04, 00:23
The main problem was the lack of variety over the long haul.
Generally I am not that much of a meat eater or salad bar eater.

I can see how a lack of variety could be a problem, but this could be one of those situations where changes in taste can really help. Also, I was very relieved to get off of Induction so I could add in a few more 'interesting' foods like some berries and nuts and a little higher-carb veggies. To me it felt like we gave up all the flavorless foods (rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.) in favor of foods with tons more taste, texture and color. We also occasionally have things like French toast made with LC bread, or low-carb crepes with our breakfast.

We've also taken some of our favorite old recipes and turned them into LC by using cauliflower instead of noodles in casseroles and of course come up with some completely new and bizarre things (I have a 14-year-old who loves to experiment in the kitchen, LOL).

One thing I love about salad bars is that I can make salads out of the most bizarre things and have them taste great! I've never been big on lettuce (fiber and water), so rarely use it. I'd rather make my salad out of things like mushrooms, radishes, tomatoes, celery and so on with some meat thrown on for good measure, then salad dressing with some sunflower seeds and olives. YUM!