PDA

View Full Version : Day 4 of Induction. . . I'm sticking to it this time

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dogbert199
Fri, May-28-04, 12:09
I'm still in my first weeks.

Last time I was on induction, I lost 20 pounds in 25 days, then I fell off Atkins altogether. I never gained the weight back, but I never got back on the diet for more than a few days.

This time, I'm looking at 100 days as my goal. . . and I'm at day 4 now.

VanWinkle
Fri, May-28-04, 13:13
I've read that many people give up on Atkins because they don't eat enough. You need to take in fewer calories than you burn (500 calories restricted equals 1 pound a week lost), but we didn't get fat in a short period of time and we won't be successful trying to lose it all at once.

Really, the best thing is to think of it as a new way of life. Doing Atkins for 100 days is a good goal, but really you should prepare yourself to do it for life. That means, make changes in your diet that are healthy and can be maintained.

I'd also recommend that you don't worry about the weight loss when doing Induction during the first 2 weeks. What you are trying to do is to train your body for doing low carb, not losing weight during Induction. You will probably lose weight anyway, but this weight will almost be all water. You really want to lose the fat and that can come later.

So, severely restrict your carbs by eating the foods Atkins recommends in the book (I also like trying to restrict the saturated fats too). Then, slowly add back good carbs (like green beans, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) and really start to focus on the portion sizes. Also, cut out all of the junk.

I'm just started 6 weeks ago, but I'm determined to make it too. Good luck!

Petrina31
Fri, May-28-04, 15:19
Welcome,

I second everything VanWinkle said- you have to refrain from thinking of atkins as a diet, and rather of way of life. I'm nearing the end of my 10th week and I'm still on induction level carbs and will likely be so til I get within close range of my goal--- after that point, I'll increase my carb level but will strive to never again eat the way I did pre-Atkins (soda, breads, sweets and all). This is a way of eating that I've chosen to adopt for life. I feel so much better, healthier and far more energetic than I ever did swilling down Pepsi and feasting on rolls, bagels and other carbage.

Best of luck to you,
Petrina

Janie3k
Fri, May-28-04, 17:45
http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons3/welcome1.gif

This forum is amazing...You will find so much more than you thought between the information and support...it definately makes this WOL so much easier.

Take care and I wish you luck on your journey!!

Janice