PDA

View Full Version : "meat" loaf

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Elsah
Fri, May-28-04, 10:12
My husband is going to be working really hard this weekend laying a tile floor so I would like to make him something special. I know a 'meat' loaf may not seem special but he loves meat and I don't so he has eaten what I fix for the past ten years (which doesn't include meats) So anyways, what I was wanting to know is does anyone have a good recipe for a really good fake meat loaf? I was thinking the gimme lean might have the most real texture/taste at least he thinks the sausage flavor is great but I have never tried the hamburger version of it. I want something that is going to stick together like the real stuff and I can't imagine the burger crumbles sticking together. I would love it if anyone has a tried and true recipe that could help me out. Thanks in advance!

Jenn

nutty
Fri, May-28-04, 13:54
Vegweb.com has a huge archive of tried-n-true recipes, try there :)

Edit: they have six recipes listed

http://vegweb.com/cgi/search/search.pl

Elsah
Fri, May-28-04, 16:10
Thanks nutty.. have you tried the hamburger style gimme lean by chance?
I just hate to waste the money if it's gross.

nutty
Fri, May-28-04, 19:31
Elsah, I never tried "big project" like meat loaf, its scary ^.^;;
I make killer TVP patties though, hehehe...

pecan
Sat, May-29-04, 14:47
elsah, i've found boca's ground meat to be better tasting imo. gimme lean isn't bad for meat loaf though.

etoiles
Sun, May-30-04, 11:59
This is my absolute favorite 'meat' loaf. It is really delicious. I was even going to make it this week if I can find some plain hi lo cereal.

Enjoy! :)

16 oz creamed cottage cheese
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 C. vegetable oil
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 C. finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 C. cornflake type cereal

Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.

Combine all ingredients and spoon into pan. It will look gross but it will taste GREAT I promise! :p

Bake for 50 minutes (or maybe longer, depends on your oven!) :)

I have never heard one complaint about this one and it is super easy!

Elsah
Sun, May-30-04, 13:23
I have a special k roast almost identical to that. Are you 7th day? My friend who gave me the recipe was. I will probably end up making something similar to that since I didn't find the hamburger style gimme lean. Thanks E! I had totally forgot about making that recipe. ;)

Jenn

etoiles
Sun, May-30-04, 16:51
Nope I am not a 7th day person, I had a good friend in college though that was. I actually got this recipe from http://www.allrecipes.com It is a recipes site where after you try the recipe you rate it and review it so you don't have to waste your time making a recipe that has all bad reviews. This one had excellent reviews so I tried it and was good!

only too bad their search engine makes it difficult to find low carb vegetarian recipse on that site.

sweetmango
Fri, Jun-18-04, 08:42
:yum: :yum: Although now I don't eat it , but when I did I season with lipton mushroon onion mix let it set over night, add your regulars to it. :yum: :yum: :yum:

sweetmango
Tue, Jul-20-04, 12:28
Nope I am not a 7th day person, I had a good friend in college though that was. I actually got this recipe from http://www.allrecipes.com It is a recipes site where after you try the recipe you rate it and review it so you don't have to waste your time making a recipe that has all bad reviews. This one had excellent reviews so I tried it and was good!

only too bad their search engine makes it difficult to find low carb vegetarian recipse on that site.

II have a protein shake/fruit or yogurt for Breakfast, and yogurt for lunch , today I had a veggie hodog , stay hungry here lately, i am a vegetarian, what so you usually have for breakfast and lunch!! :yum:

sweetmango
Tue, Jul-20-04, 12:29
II have a protein shake/fruit or yogurt for Breakfast, and yogurt for lunch , today I had a veggie hodog , stay hungry here lately, i am a vegetarian, what so you usually have for breakfast and lunch!! :yum:
Do you eat meat, what is your carb level! :thup:

sweetmango
Tue, Jul-20-04, 12:31
the john mcdougal does have more starches than atkins, so you follow atkins the veggie way!!, lost any weight!!