PDA

View Full Version : Hello... new here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cindyw9
Thu, May-27-04, 14:57
Hi everyone. I just found this place today while browsing the net. I was looking for some kind of answer to a question I have.

I have been dx'd with PCOS. I have the diabetes type 2 thing going on. I am on 1500 mg of glucouphage for about a little over a year now. Same with Niaspan for high cholesterol. And of course the Spiranolacton for the "hair" :( I find it hard to believe there is anything wrong with me but well dang it there is. :rolleyes:

My weight at my last dr visit blew up to 194 pounds! :help: I am soooooooo disappointed. I left her office witht the mindset that I AM going to lose weight. I have started walking about half an hour to 45 minutes a day and I put myself on my own version of what I thought was a low carb diet. Now I have only been doing this for 10 days and I find myself in a predicament that kind of scares me. Twice now this week I find my tummy spinning and taking dives. I get sweaty and clammy and I also get light headed. Several times I have felt weak in the legs... ( I know this sounds kind of weird but it all of a sudden feels like my body is dead weight on my legs. :( My shoulders ached like crazy for about two days but that is now gone.

Being the last two days I havent felt the greatest I have not had any coffee. Usually I drink about four cups a day (in the morning) I have not done this and wondering if this has any bearing on anything.

Also you should know that I do have a history of 'tummy woes'. I have prescriptions of Axid~Nexium~Prilosec. I am told they all do something different is why they are all prescribed. I still get confused as to which to take when a specific symptom arises. :(

But my main question here is could "my low carb" diet be screwing up the tenacious balance of my blood sugars??? Could I be screwing this up? I am not exactly sure what glocouphage does? Lower blood sugar? and if it does that am I messing it more by eating less carbs/sugars? Would I need to be taking less? I know you all are not docs..... just looking for an opinion. I do have a call in to the doc to run some blood work but I wanted others opinions.

LilaCotton
Thu, May-27-04, 22:18
I'm no expert, but I can maybe help in a couple of areas. I didn't know what PCOS was and saw people mentioning it on the board, so I did an internet search and found a very informative site: http://www.pcos.net/whatis.html This site also discusses how a low-carb diet will benefit the ailment.

There is a special board here for diabetics who are following LC diets. You may want to check that out. I've seen more people here go from needing insulin to only glucophage then to needing no medication for their diabetes it's remarkable. If you haven't already, visit http://www.atkins.com I don't know how much info is on the site about what low-carbing does to your blood sugar, but I can say from personal experience it's remarkable. I've been hypoglycemic for 20+ years. LCing took care of it overnight--no more blood sugar problems.

Also, look over the various low-carb plans. The Zone does great things with blood sugar using a little higher carbs. Dr. Bernstein's diabetic diet does wonders, too. And the majority of people I've seen here who've had great success have been on Atkins. While it's super restrictive at first, later on things balance out a little more.

Oh, and I would never recommend a diabetic to mess too much with their diet without constantly checking blood sugar and be under their doctor's supervision.