PDA

View Full Version : New at this

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sudsy
Wed, May-26-04, 13:53
Hello

I am new at this and don't know where to begin. I am a male 44 years old 5' 6"and 174lbs I like to get down to 150lbs.

Can anyone stir me in the right direction?

Thanks
Sudsy

Missie_Kay
Wed, May-26-04, 14:37
Well the first thing that you need to do is either read the book ( recomended) or check out the Atkins.com webstie. It will give you the ( pardin the pun) skinny on how to do the diet right, and what foods that you need to eat, and the foods that you need to avoid. I new to this too so thats all the advice that i have for now. Good Luck!!

elimy
Wed, May-26-04, 15:03
Welcome Sudsy!:wave:

Looks like you haven't picked a plan yet...were you thinking of Atkins? Whatever you choose, I agree with Missie_Kay, definitely read the book.

Once you start, don't forget to drink tons and tons of water, and take vitamins, those will help tremendously with the weight loss, and your general feeling overall. And come here for support, of course!!

Glad you could join us! Good luck!

Emily

sudsy
Fri, May-28-04, 15:24
I want to do the atkins plan but not sure how to go about it.
Also what would be a good book to read.

Thanks
Don

longhorn88
Fri, May-28-04, 15:53
Hi Sudsy -

Congrats on making a smart decision to life a low carb lifestyle! I highly recommend that you read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. You can find it anywhere; it has been reprinted several times over the years, and I believe the most recent edition is 2002. It is very well written and it really helps to understand the "whys" behind the diet. However, the scientific jargon is not too overwhelming.

If you want to go ahead and start on Atkins while you are in the process of reading the book (that's what I did), go to the Atkins web site (www.atkinscenter.com) and print off the information on how to do the Induction phase. They tell you specifically what to eat and how much on Induction. That will give you aabout two weeks to get the book and read it so you will be ready to move on after Induction.

Good luck.

Janie3k
Fri, May-28-04, 17:44
http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons3/welcome1.gif

This forum is amazing...You will find so much more than you thought between the information and support...it definately makes this WOL so much easier.

Take care and I wish you luck on your journey!!

Janice

JessieBlue
Sat, May-29-04, 07:39
Hi Sudsy and welcome! :clap:

I expect you will find the people here are wonderfully supportive & Indformative!''
May I ask if you have gotten the Dr Atkins New Diet revolution book yet?
It will help you in starting the RIGHT way so your loss is a positive thing.

Sudsy, you should never be hungry in this diet/life changing. :)
You must drink at least 8 classes of water everyday, and i would like to suggest that you dtink them over the span of the day, for if you try and drink it all at once, it will bounce your electrolytes and make you fell bloated and tired..and that isn't what Atkins is about, it is about grabbing your life back, and energy!!

There are 4 stages to Atkins ( if you are going to do that) and right now the most important one, I feel, is Induction.. The basics...let's say you have a weeks worth of old papers in your livingroom..but you only need that days paper..so you throw out all the old ones and keep only what yo need.
That is what indcution is like.. Our bodies store carbs..which means sugar and fats...more than a days worth too I fear! *ack* SO, by limiting yourself to 20 carbs a day, you are forcing your body to use those stored up carbs carbs!!!

Induction should last a minimum of 2 weeks....No fruits or sugar or caffeine is recommended..
I suggest if you want further (beside the great info you will be given here at this site) WWW.ATKINS.COM

and....get the book! and keep it with you!

Blessing & Peace!!YOu CAN DO IT SUDSY!!

JessieBlue
Sat, May-29-04, 07:40
oops.. it did not show your reply's when i just looked.. My apologies :(

bluesfan88
Sat, May-29-04, 08:55
welcome and good luck with low carbing .

an good idea is to get a journal (top of page for introduce yourself on a sticky ) people can look at your journal and give you feedback and you meet loads of people that way to .

people are very supportive and will help you along in this journey .good luck:)