PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ghuldeen
Tue, May-25-04, 13:24
I thought I would just take a few moments to introduce myself and say hello to others on the low carb path.

I've been doing Atkins for a little over 6 months now. I started due to the discovery that I had become a type 2 diabetic at the age of 37 (blood sugar level measured 17.8) and being told I could either do something about it or wonder if I would hit 50. I didn't realise how terrible and sick I had really been feeling, until I made the change. I someone with a cold even looked at me I automatically got it. I was tired all the time despite getting 7-8 hours sleep per night. I was sweating all the time no matter what the temperature was (my doctor told me that my skin was trying to act as a 3rd kidney to help get rid of the excess). My blood pressure had skyrocketed to 138/98. My kidneys were under severe stress and my cholesterol was borderline.

I picked up a copy of Atkins on the advice of a physician friend, who had seen good results with some of his patients. My own doctor was not particularly keen on me going the low carb route and was steering me towards the standard diabetes diet pushed by the dieticians, but I conviced him to give it a shot and agreed to undergo regular testing and blood work to ensure that nothing was going awry. I read the book the first day and proceeded to pull out some of my old biochemistry textbooks from university to see if the metabolic principles were sound, which they are. I then cleaned out the entire apartment of high carb goodies and donated a ton of food to my local food bank. I also started a fairly vigorous cardio program 5-6 days a week.

Six months later I've dropped from 290lbs to 225lbs (65lbs in total), my blood glucose is consistently below 6 (no meds required), my last blood pressure test was 107/78, my cholesterol numbers are excellent and the kidney strain has gone bye bye. My doctor considers me to be his poster child patient, because I took the warnings seriously and did something about the situation. My physician has now started suggesting low carb to his other patients based on the experience with me. My energy levels are just excellent and my cardio workouts have gotten to levels I never thought I would be able to sustain. I've gotten more compliments on appearance than I can remember in a very long time and just feel so much better about myself.

To those that wonder if they can do low carb and enjoy it, I give a resounding great big YOU BET! I've learned to cook and enjoy new veggies and foods that had never been regular parts of my diet. My only regret is that I didn't do this years ago, when I first heard about it.

Ghuldeen

nets33
Tue, May-25-04, 13:58
Wow! What a great story you have to tell. Congrats on the great success you've had so far with the LC lifestyle.

Best of luck as you reach your goal (which I'm sure you will!).

Kiks

Iowagirl
Tue, May-25-04, 15:00
Welcome Ghuldeen and thanks for sharing! What a great story.