PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Co. Kildare, Ireland

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gerard Far
Mon, May-24-04, 18:00
Hello everyone!

I've been lowcarbing (Atkins) since leaving hospital in December 2003.
I went for my blood results on the 13th of May (The samples were taken in April) and was told that my LDL chol. was high, and that it had been normal during my stay in hospital.
What am I doing wrong?

My A1c (I'm type 2 diabetic) was excellent: 5
As were my triglycerides. They also told me that they found protein in my urine- not much, they said, but they want to check that out further. I explained to them that I am eating a lot of protein being on the Atkins diet but they said it shouldn't really spill over into the kidneys. So I've to undergo what I think is another test for 'creatine' in my urine over a 24 hour period.
Anyone got any suggestions?
My name is Gerry and this is my first time to post to this forum. I live in Ireland and found you all by going to 'Google' on the net.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Kind regards,
Gerry.
gerfardsl~eircom.net ;)

Ricki
Tue, May-25-04, 12:50
The only thing that I can think of is to stay on that water. I'm sure your dr's have already told you that, plus it helps flush the fat. I'd wait to hear what your dr's have to say AFTER you get your test results back. In the mean time continue with your lc way of eating, unless the dr. has said to stop for some reason. Good luck with everything and welcome! Hang in there...this website is a great place for support.

AFwife
Wed, May-26-04, 09:11
http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons3/laser3.gif

vashka25
Wed, May-26-04, 13:42
The Atkins diet can cause a false elevatin in your creatinine clearance, and your BUN-Creatinine ratio indicating renal (kidney) failure......but keeping in mind these levels will also show similar values when you are dehydrated.
Diabetes can cause protein and ketones to appear in your urine, but so can "starvation" which may be a big ugly word, but if you aren't meeting your body's caloric needs it can cause your body to go into "starvation" mode.

Hopefully it isn't something more than false indicators.....keep us posted.