PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Wasatch Mountains

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ecotruchas
Sun, May-23-04, 07:54
Hello everyone.

I live in Salt Lake City and I've been intereted in nutrition and diets for many years. Professionally, I work in animal agriculture, i.e. aquaculture (fish farming), so I've been in and around the subject of nutrition for 30 years.

But I really got jazzed about human nutrition some years ago when people like Barry Sears, Dr. Atkins, the Paleo gurus, and others began to talk about blood chemistry and the effect of certain nutrients (it's all chemistry folks!) on human physiology.

But, the approach of Dr. Atkins was so different to the conventional wisdom of the NIH-food pyramid, the entrenched vegetarian movement, and a misunderstanding/simplification of the involvement of fatty acids and cholestoral in human diets, that it took me quite a while take try the Atkins
regime. I have a history of problems with cholesterol and triglycerides, so
the idea was a bit scary.

I had been on Weight Watchers for a couple of years, with reasonable success, but plateaued. I was eating healthy, I thought, making sure I was
consuming 4-5 raw fruits per day, and lots of vegetables, including the high starch root variety. And exercising profusely. But not dropping a pound.
And, no, it wasn't the proverbial "exchanging fat for muscle" syndrome.

Then, I started Atkins in September 2003, when a few acquaintances had extolled the successes they had experienced. Results were pretty immediate.

By December, I was at my ideal weight, feeling less tired (I dropped those
mid afternoon need-a-nap feelings).

Currently, I'm up about 7 pounds from where I'd like to be, and because of various reasons, I've been too sedantary.

I have not done a cholestoral check for more than a year. That's a bit of
head-in-the-sand, isn't it?

Well, that's my intro for the moment. By the way, how do you get those
nice smilie guys into the text?

Regards

Rik

BBQman
Sun, May-23-04, 08:54
Welcome. I love SLC. I've only been there twice but I hope to take my wife and kids to visit sometime.