PDA

View Full Version : switched to low carb for health

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mps
Mon, May-17-04, 17:53
Hello...
I have always been in relatively good shape. I've been lifting weights regularly since I was about 14. After reading about the benifits of low carb eating I decided to try it. My muscularity has improved and my appetite is more under control. I am always interested in learning more about the health benifits (or risks) of low carb eating.
I guess my main goal is to continue to improve my fitness and stay healthy througout life. So far I've noticed improvement in mood and energy, as well as, better skin health. I'm hoping the future holds more benefits...

4beans4me
Mon, May-17-04, 18:13
Hello and welcome! :wave:

mps
Mon, May-17-04, 18:14
I thought I'd be more specific to see if anyone else is doing what I'm doing. My goals are more muscle and less fat.
I'm eating maintaince calories or higher (still low carb) for 2 weeks and doing heavy weight training w/ no cardio to build muscle. Followed by 2 weeks sub-maintainace calories w/ wieght training and cardio to loose fat.
I'm hoping my overall body composition improves with each cycle. I've read that carbs are important for the quick energy needed for weight lifting. In my experience so far, this does not seem to be true... but if anyone has anything to say about this... I'd like to hear from you.

Rachelle
Sun, May-23-04, 13:02
Welcome to the board and this way of eating.. i saw your picture in the gallery and must say you are looking very awesome... as far as the information that you are looking for.. there is only one person that comes to mind that would have all the answers :lol: TrainerDan on this site is a wealth of knowledge... i'd check out the exercise forum on the board.. :)

Carina8
Sun, May-23-04, 16:47
Welcome! Happy LCing! :wave:

ps. do you teach in SE Michigan, Detroit burbs?

mps
Mon, May-24-04, 03:31
I grew up in SE Mich. but teach in Albion. (S. Centeral MI)
thanks for the welcome...

mps
Mon, May-24-04, 14:39
central :) (I can spell)

ChunkeChic
Mon, May-24-04, 17:31
Howdy all, :p

I too have started "low carbing" for health reasons. Doc says I am very close to getting diabetes and that it is essential I lose weight.
I have only had a weight problem since my 2 car accidents, which gave me a lifetime of back problems, and my radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer 8 years ago. :( Before that I was always rather slim. Lowest adult dress size was a 4. Lowest adult weight was 109lbs. :D My back problems lowered my activity level. That coupled with the gradual weight caused extraordinary depression and we all know how that complicates dieting.
In any case, I need to find another way to live my life. I will never be able to be as active as I once was. So, I need to adjust my eating life style so I can be healthy in spite of my back issues. My weight has only makes those issues worst....so that is another insentive to move forward and make these changes.

I am happy to have found a great forum to ask and answer questions.

mps
Tue, May-25-04, 14:07
Welcome!! I've found that there are friendly and knowledgeable people here who will be happy to give you support and answer your questions.
Good luck!