PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Choices

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jebuk
Mon, May-17-04, 02:02
Does anyone have any good tips for what to order in restaurants?

I'm still on induction and have to go out for meal tonight to celebrate my partner's birthday. I've been really careful and stuck to 20g every day, so I don't want to blow it all in one night. I think he wants to go out for an Indian meal, so any tips for curry restaurants would be great. But I also like going out for Chinese and European food and I'd really like to have some ideas for low-carb veggie meal that might be on the menu.

I'm also a bit of a fan of red wine, DANDR says red wine has 2 carbs, but does anyone know whether all types are the same?

Jebuk
Mon, May-17-04, 02:06
Also, I really wanted to get him a birthday cake, but obviously shop bought ones are out of the question for me (and if there was cake in the house I'd HAVE to eat it!). So I'm thinking of making him one.

The thing is I'm not much of a cook though. Does anyone have a recipe for low carb cake that is very very easy to make and doesn't require very many ingredients?

Elsah
Mon, May-17-04, 05:56
Are you wanting to make a proper cake or would something like a cheesecake suffice? Cheesecake would be the easiest and those tend to taste normal even to someone not doing atkins. You can always top it with fresh fruits if you are out of induction too. Here is a link from the atkins site for dining out on indian foods

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/14-563551.html

I love saag / palak paneer (spinach with the cheese) unfortunately the link lists mostly meat stuff but there were at least a couple ideas on it. Have a great night with your partner. ;)

Jenn

innermusic
Mon, May-17-04, 08:24
I find the safest for low carb meals out is salad or chinese. But the stir fry has to be specified to the waiter as "soy sauce and garlic only". Also tell them no onions. Hot sauce can be added at the table. The reason for this is most stir frys are done in something sweet and can kick you out of ketosis pdq. If you're in doubt if they understand you correctly, tell them it's like diabetes and ask if they are insured for someone in insulin shock...

etoiles
Mon, May-17-04, 17:21
I also find eating out difficult at times. I have not gone out for Indian in a long time since that is my favorite and it would be hard watching everyone enjoy the high carb food I would also like to enjoy, but saag paneer would be a safe bet. Or I'm sure that the roasted eggplant dish would be safe too, as many on their menu.

I normally go out for either mexican, chinese or greek. At the mexican place I get the chile rellenos and remove the coating and ask for salad instead of rice and beans. At chinese the place near me is very nice about not cookign with cornstarch or sugar. And greek I love the spankopita and just open it up and eat the inside without the phyllo dough.

Best wishes with whatever you decide!!!

As for the cake I might try the Orange Sour cream cake recipe (miniature cakes though, like cupcakes) posted in the dessert section.

sweetmango
Fri, Jun-18-04, 08:38
:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: applebee's /they have veggie burgers and port-a-bello mushroom , also o'charley's steamed vegetables, captain D's , dinners , no fries or hush puppies. also i heared ruby tuesday, and mcdonalds will be coming out with some low carb things soon. burger king has a veggie burger you can order without the bun, taco bell and subway, veggie choices. low carb

etoiles
Fri, Jun-18-04, 09:30
thanks for the info about Applebees! It sounds like it has more than I thought they did!

I have been to Ruby Tuesdays and they actually have a very nice salad bar that I get there. Lots of low carb stuff and a variety of veggies to put on it!
Also I have gotten at Ruby Tuesday's the low carb burger wrap and asked for a veggie burger instead of the real thing. They are real nice there!