PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Anndi
Sat, Sep-01-01, 03:44
Well after several weeks of reading everyone elses stories I have finally worked up the courage to introduce myself. LC eating is making a big impact here in our part of Australia and both my husband and myself decided to give it a shot after hearing quite a number of success stories. We are following Atkin's and have both been on the program for three and a bit weeks. Andrew has lost 17 and a half pounds (I'm so jealous!!) and I have lost 9 lb. As we've been eating virtually the same things I am a little annoyed that he seems to be having an easier time of if that me. I guess it takes longer for women to lose than men.
We have found that having a fat fast day once a week really helps us along. Thank heavens for macadamia nuts!! I have to admit there have been times during the last couple of weeks where I have gotten discouraged but hubby is very encouraging and usually keeps me going. I found it quite difficult to get into ketosis, but by including L-Carnitine in our supplements and by dong the fat fast I managed to kick start it and now it's easy to stay in the pink.
I am a little amazed how I have lost the longing for sweet things. I can now look at most of the things I loved to eat and turn away without any temptation. Well thanks for all the great advice I have read. I am so glad I found this forum. Dianne

Natrushka
Sat, Sep-01-01, 07:27
You've found a great place for support and information. Congrats on your weight loss to date. And yes, it is easier for men than women, and sometimes frustrating.... but as I keep telling myself, its not a competition. I find this WOE has so many benefits aside from the weight loss, that It has quickly become a WOL.

Dont worry about those ketostix. Some people NEVER show even a trace (my boyfriend, who's lost 10 lbs this week alone, wasnt showing until yesterday). They are only a guide. There is some very useful information about Ketone Sticks and Ketone Bodies under the "Low Carb Tips" section of this site. Give it a look-see.

Happy low carbing, I hope to read more about your successes!

Nat

debbiedobson
Tue, Sep-04-01, 12:54
welcome aboard anndi!:D congratulations on your weight loss! that's great! i don't put much faith in the stix myself. i never seem to show more than a trace. i can tell i'm in ketosis, when i stop craving carbs and i'm not hungry all the time. it's a better indicator for me!

Anndi
Tue, Sep-04-01, 23:50
Thanks for the welcome Debbie. It's great to be able to 'talk' to other people following the same WOE. Australia, being so far away from the rest of the world, is catching on to this but we have a long way to go. I know of a couple of people who are on this diet and have heard of a few more but it's still pretty rare.

Finding interesting and usable low carb products is a major problem. I have been doing lots of looking and have found a few but am still chasing soy protein isolate. Hope I find it soon, The thing I seem to miss most is my toast at breakfast time, so I am anxious to make some bread. I guess all good things come to those who wait, so I'm trying to be patient.:(

Anyway thanks for the encouragement. You guys are really friendly.

diamondgal
Wed, Sep-05-01, 06:34
hi, i am new to the fourm but have been reading the posts since starting wol-6-18-01 (took 2 months to get the courage to join) i feel like you are all friends. i lost 5 lbs husband lost 30! i am blaming being hypothyroid & taking premarin for menopause, i call it mentalpause since i can't remember things. i have lost 5 inches but it is so nice to see the ### go down. we both feel better on lc so it will be OUR way of life for now on.who needs potatoes & pasta! nothing white on our table. 167-162-145

Karen
Wed, Sep-05-01, 08:46
Thanks for revealing yourself gal! You have got the right attitude.

No need to be a lurker anymore!

Karen

Anndi
Thu, Sep-06-01, 02:58
Hi there fellow new person. So glad you decided to say hi. You are so right when you say you feel like you are amongst friends 'cause you definitely are. Keep up the good work. I know how you feel about your husband losing at a faster rate. They're just born lucky I guess. Mine has lost twice as much as me but I feel good for him and it's great because we can both encourage each other and are not wanting to eat the things that one of us couldn't if we were not both on this WOE. (Does that make any sense?)

Keep at it and good luck.

diamondgal
Thu, Sep-06-01, 05:24
thanks for the welcome, i know it is easier to say on track if everyone eats the same food. i don't miss peeling potatoes!!!also , i know where every bathroom is within 50 miles. maybe diapers? 167-162-anything lower

Karen_Mc
Thu, Sep-06-01, 08:31
Welcome DiamondGirl and Diane

I am fairly new here too. I had to read and as someone put it "lurk" around a bit too. But I am glad I joined. This is a great place for the encouragement. Especially if hubby is not on this WOE. Mine is not and I have a 21 yearold son who loves pancakes with eggs and bacon. He is soo oo glad i am o this WOE because he loves to eat the bacon and sausage and now I cook every morning.