PDA

View Full Version : body fat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

vnd
Wed, May-12-04, 19:40
i have a q...could anyone please tell me what percent of body fat is considered the right percentage for women? i am 27 yrs old n 4 feet 8 iinches . but when i checked the fat percentage in the gym it was 25 percent..i want to know, does anyone know whats the right percentage for women and men?
thanks
vnd

tcastro
Wed, May-12-04, 19:52
For men, its 9-19%

For women its higher, 13-25%

Real quick, how old are you and how tall?

90lbs is REALLY low.

vnd
Thu, May-13-04, 02:40
hmmm, why is it higher for men? i read somewhere like 3 to 5 percent for men! so its 13-25 percent for women then? i am 4 feet 8 inches, right now i weigh 110 poounds, would like to reach 90 to 95 , mainly intrested in losing weight round the tummy, i am of a apetite frame. hey, thanks a lot for ans my q, i really appreciate it.
good luck with the weight loss
regards
vnd

tcastro
Thu, May-13-04, 05:59
Its higher for women, because you naturally carry more fat than men and not just in your breasts.

Honestly, the only way to get a good body fat reading is going to be through your doctor. Body fat scales are good for monitoring the trend, but not the definite number.

Using your height and weight, your BMI (Body Mass Index) is already in normal range, but on the higher end. At 95, you'll be right in the middle.

3-5% body fat is very unhealthy. Female 'athletes' have between 13% and 21% body fat. Male athletes have between 5% and 14% body fat.

However, this is an athlete, which means you have a good amount of lean mass, work out almost everyday and burn A LOT of calories. If you are not an 'athlete', then you should aim for 21% body fat at the lowest.

Definition of athlete: "athlete" is a person involved in intense physical activity of approximately 10 hours per week and who has a resting heart rate of approximately 60 beats per minute or less. In addition, people who are involved in a "Lifetime of Fitness" and who are very fit, but are not currently active 10 hours per week, are considered "athletes."

Jeanb
Thu, May-13-04, 06:42
The guide for fat% without affecting menstruation is 16 - 24% body fat. Of course, if you are tiny, 24% body fat can feel like a lot on a small frame. Female athletes vary anywhere from 12% - 19%. Low fat can stop body from producing hormones.

vnd
Thu, May-13-04, 08:10
hey guys!
thanks a lot for all the info..it was truly enlightening,yeah the guy with the 3percent body fat is an athelete, i read some of his posts where he was being berated by others for having less than normal body fat but he was insisting that was the normal range, 3 percent sounded xtremely low to me and i started gettin wrrd over mine which was 25...at least i am relieved to know i am not doing so bad!!!! thanks a lot again, appreciate it
good luck with the weight loss and do lemme know how it goes....tcastro..splendid job on the weight loss...truly amazing, hope u reach ur goal weight soon...good luck!
regards
vnd

w0rd
Thu, May-13-04, 14:44
i had my body fat tested a while ago and the lady told me 18.2% and i said "OH NO! THAT'S TOO MUCH" and she said noooo... thats in the athlete category :)

women arent supposed to get below 13%.. probably not even able to.. but im determined to get to atleast 15!!!

vnd
Thu, May-13-04, 17:07
Oooohh Noooooooo, 18 Percent? N Here I Am With 25? :( IS THAT A CAUSE FOR CONCERN?
N U WONT BELIEVE IT.....BUT SINCE 1995, I HAVENT EVEN CONSUMED ONE OUNCE OF ANYHTIN FAT OR EVEN RESEMBLIN FAT...I MEAN IT....NO SWEETS, NO BUTTER, NO WHOLE MILK, JUS FAT FREE, EGG WHITES ONLY, NO FRIED FOODS, NO SNACKS, NO NUTHIN,,,,JUS WHOLESOME VEGGIES, LOTS OF EM, WHOLE GRAINS, PULSES, LEGUMES, PROTEINS FROM MILK N EGG WHITES, N FRUITS...NOT EVEN OIL...SO I WONDER WHERE THIS AAMTT OF FAT CAME FROM?!!! :q: I DID EAT LOT OF PURE SUGAR THOUGH...IN COFEE N NATURAL FRUIT JUICES.....
VND

Nancy LC
Thu, May-13-04, 17:43
Well... there you go.

legwarmers
Thu, May-13-04, 17:54
not eating fat is unhealthy... you actually need fat for the body to function correctly... and for fat loss you need to eat fat to lose fat.

i would say average bodyfat can range from 18-low 20s%. i like to be in the range of 14-15% but i'd love to be a bit more cut and at 12%... that is hard to maintain, though, unless diet is on point. to be that low you have to manipulate food.

women should never ever go below 10% - there is a serious risk of osteoporosis.

and i'm officially rambling.

vnd
Thu, May-13-04, 18:56
thats comforting news to me. i dont think i am gonna be able to shake off this fat...anyway if 25 percent is ok, i am fine with it !!
hope weightloss is on the go for all!!!
vnd