PDA

View Full Version : *Newbie* Hello from STL and a question...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jillinmo
Sat, May-08-04, 18:26
Hello from Missouri! I want to say THANKS to those that created this site. I have been perusing it for an hour and am learning so much from the members. How inspring this is!

I just completed the induction phase of Atkin's and am on Day 16 of the diet. I plan to stay on the Induction stage until I reach my desired weight. I am replacing breakfast and lunch with the Atkin's Shakes and having some protein for dinner. I am also taking the Atkin's vita nutrients. Is this a healthy way to go about Atkin's or should I be eating more?

I watched a low carb TV program on Food Network (my favorite channel :D ) and this chef said to eat several times a day in order for the diet to work. My appetite is really low and I have a hard time eating.

Another question if I may... During my first week on Atkin's it seemed like I could just feel the weight leaving, whereas for the passed 9 days I have felt rather bloated and kind of experiencing an overall blah feeling. Anyone else experience this?

Vanity3
Sat, May-08-04, 19:09
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Yes, you should eat 6 small meals a day if you can.
No you shouldn't stay on induction longer than the first 2 weeks. It's time to add good carbs into your diet slowly through veggies and whole foods. That could by why you are feeling this way. How many calories are you eating a day? That could be contribuiting to your lack of energy. Are you exercising? You aren't following the plan correctly if you aren't working out.

I hope some of these suggestions help you. Try tracking your menus on www.fitday.com, it is a really helpful site.

jillinmo
Sat, May-08-04, 22:18
Besides my normal routine, I have been walking (2.5 mph) on my treadmill on an incline for 20 minutes per day. I am hoping to increase this as I go but so far I haven't added any sort of weight training to my regimen. I started drinking the Atkins Shakes a couple of days ago, replacing my breakfast and lunch with them but have been informed that this isn't as beneficial to the diet as "real" food. I am one of those impatient types that wants to lose it NOW! There is a lot I can learn from experienced low carbers such as yourself. Thanks for the advice. I am checking out the website you mentioned. I'm sure that will be a helpful tool.

:) jillinmo

BBQman
Sat, May-08-04, 23:19
I plan on staying on Induction for longer than 2 weeks, probably several months, but I don't think it would be wise to stay on it until you reach your goal weight. As you get closer and closer to your weight you really should kinda ease into it.

bsayne
Sun, May-09-04, 05:35
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your succes to date and on adding in the exercise!

The shakes, though convenient, are usually not recommended for more than one meal a day for the good reasons mentioned...real food is what your body needs and the shakes and bars for that matter have been linked to stalling for many people. It is normal to have a reduction in your appetite...but it is imperative that you eat. 6 small meals would be great! Its like feeding the fire to keep your metabolism going. If you stop eating your body tends to go into starvation mode. This is one of those cases where people who eat definately tend to lose more than those who don't. Starting a journal is highly recommended, you can record your mood, your food, anything else you would like and forum friends will know where to leave those messages of encouragement that we all love to hear!

Lots of meal and snack ideas in the recipe section...so keep up the good work and eat...real food!

Beth