PDA

View Full Version : "Jowls": is this a weight or age thing?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lindym
Fri, May-07-04, 09:47
I'm turning 52 this month and I'm wondering if I'm going to be stuck with the saggy jaw line. I know that ppl get a face lift for a reason ;) but does the weight loss help?

Thanks

bevbme
Sat, May-08-04, 17:48
I thnk the weight loss will help .

I look at myself and can see my Mom's face-we have identical lines in the cheek/mouth area. Since I lost weight they are not so prominant. But such hereditary traits will not go away completely. We just have to look like we look -maybe smiling more will exercise the muscles more.

liz175
Sat, May-08-04, 20:07
My husband was getting really jowly. He lost 10 or 12 pounds and the jowls went away. He's 47 years old.

TarHeel
Sat, May-08-04, 20:20
My jowls are better, but the chicken neck thing is accentuated. When you're sixty, you can't expect to look like you're thirty. Nice as it might be.....Plastic surgery might help, but I think I'll just accept who I am at the moment.

Kay

liz175
Sat, May-08-04, 20:22
My jowls are better, but the chicken neck thing is accentuated.

I never had jowls, but my chicken neck has also gotten a lot worse. However, I'll take that over the 115 pounds that I have lost! :)

MichaelG
Sat, May-22-04, 01:05
My Partner is over 60, when I first met her I thought she was only about 52, when she told me I thought "what the heck". However she has jowls, chooky neck you name it. But when I thought about it I realised that if she went and spent thousands on surgery, she wouldn't look like Veronica anymore!

since my marriage breaking up nearly 20 years ago I have been with some very pretty women, but meeting them again after 10 or 15 years and seeing how they (and I of course) have aged it has really brought home to me that outward appearances are transitory. It's fitness, health and how you feel that's important, despite big business trying to make us feel bad about our looks so we'll spend up big with them.

Cheers

Michael Gardner
Australia

BKM
Mon, May-24-04, 10:20
I've recently started an exercise/breathing routine called Life Lift (do a search on the web if you're interested) -- some of the positions target the double chin, under-eye bags, etc. -- and in 2 weeks I've seen a notable difference (thought the best effect it's had for me is that I bounce out of bed in the morning! -- no more groggy, bleary-eyed mornings -- over the weekend I was up at 6AM both days!!!).

musicmama
Sat, Aug-28-04, 22:10
Heres an exercise they showed us at the spa thaat will help that...
lay on the bed with your head hanging over the side. Take a one pound weight and hold it on your forehead, and do head lifts in sets of eight. It works, believe it or not. If ya dont have a weight, use a can of green beans!!!

Arizona B
Tue, Sep-07-04, 06:58
I never heard of such an exercise but I'm going to try it . Thanks, Have a good day.

musicmama
Tue, Sep-07-04, 16:24
I know it sounds dumb,,I laughed too. but it works!!

Cherf
Thu, May-26-05, 22:59
This is one I'll have to try.. Thank you.
Anyone have an excersize for those fat bags under the eyes.?

Cher

BKM
Fri, May-27-05, 08:26
I think the best exercise for the under-eye bags is a good swift walk to your local plastic surgeon (LOL!) -- something I definitely can't afford, but nothing I do seems to help!!!!