PDA

View Full Version : Ketosis, how do you know?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

flug
Wed, May-05-04, 09:24
Hi everyone, just wondering if someone could help me in answering a few questions. I'm on a low carb plan and have been for 2 yrs but I'm looking to Atkins to shed those last few stubborn pounds. I work out a minimun of 3 days a week amd a max. of 6 times I run a few times a week as well as box and lift weights. I have heard that on the Atkins your energy levels can be low at first is this true? Also how do I know that I'm ketosis due you feel different?I should mention that I eat approx. 50 carbs a day now will a futher reduction really make a difference. Would really appreciate any advice you active low carbers have. Thanks in advance.

Kristine
Wed, May-05-04, 17:18
Hi. :wave:

>>"I have heard that on the Atkins your energy levels can be low at first is this true?"

It can be true for some people; it depends. From what I've read, it's not uncommon to feel sluggish as your body gets used to burning more fat instead of glucose. BUT - that tends to apply to people jumping right to induction from their previous high-carb lifestyle. It wouldn't surprise me if you made the transition nicely, since you've probably healed any insulin resistance you might have had. I bet your body is already quite happy burning fat.

>>"Also how do I know that I'm ketosis due you feel different?"

You might notice your appetite go down the tubes and a strange, metallic taste in the back of your throat. But y'know what? At only 50 g carbs per day, with all the activity you do, it wouldn't surprise me if you're already in and out of ketosis. :idea:

>>"will a futher reduction really make a difference?"

It's hard to say. It depends on what's holding those last few pounds there. If you drink, smoke, you're chronically stressed, on certain medications, deficient in certain nutrients... those could be factors, too, independant from carb count.

I'll be interested in your results. :cool:

kay3osu
Wed, May-05-04, 17:23
I think it depends on where you carbs are coming from right now. If you can tell us that, it will be easy to determine what your results might be.....take care......

flug
Wed, May-05-04, 19:47
Thanks guys for your help! I eat good carbs only, Mosly berries in my yogurt (1/4 cup) in the morning and the rest of the day just veggies mind you more than just the 3 to 4 cups more like 5 or 6 cups. I never eat cabs like rice after about 4pm. I think the bars and splenda might be stalling me. Kristine I thought it was interesting that you mentioned smoking. I do smoke ( I know, I know) last year I quite for six months and I did notice that I got leaner. I also have a latte every morning as espresso contains less caffine maybe I could have green tea instead during the induction?? I'm so full of questions and I really appreciate your responces. Thanks again.

addictmeHM
Wed, May-05-04, 19:53
I find that induction makes me more exhausted and weaker than usual at first... 'cheating' on the diet doesn't help matters when I want to slip back into ketosis. Advice: DO NOT CHEAT! :p