PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassment leads me to do this

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pambos
Tue, May-04-04, 10:07
ok

Hello friends,

My name is Pambos. I have started this diet almost two weeks ago. I am limiting myself to under 20g of carbs every day, and after almost two weeks my weight has stalled at 240 pounds, down only 5. Since I am 6'3'' I have had the luxury of putting weight on without being noticed but two weeks ago, I had realized that I couldn't fit into any of my clothes that I had bought two months ago.

I was an officer in the special forces, and four years ago I was slim and muscular, weighing no more than 180 pounds. Slowly but surely, I have put on more than 65 pounds, and I am embarassed to be seen at the beach. I have tried many diets in the past but the fact that I saw such quick results I would quit after two weeks, only to put that weight back on in the next month. I also took every supplement imaginable for weight loss, spending thousands of dollars, and now I am thinking that I might have messed up my metabolism.
I have been on the Atkins diet for 12 days. I know that everybody experiences dramatic loss in the first two weeks, but I have only lost 5 pounds, which could very well be water. I have been playing soccer almost every day for at least an hour, and the weight I think came off the last three days, and after that, for the last 9 days nothing. I am losing faith in this really fast.
I am really good about cravings, I don't really crave anything anymore. After three days, my body adjusted really well, the first three days were hectic. I cannot not keep carbs in my apartment because a lot of my friends are coming over and I think it is rude not to have something to offer to them, but I have been really good, I haven't touched anything yet.
Basically, what I am asking, are there other people who experience this stall in weight loss so early? I cut diet coke, but I cannot stop drinking coffee, I grew up with it.
If there are other people please let me know, before I stop this diet as well. I am so desperate to go to the beach and not have my gut hanging out that I will stick to it if other people are experiencing this, but everywhere I read everybody experiences dramatic weight loss.

Thanks for reading,

Pambos

huggs2ewe
Tue, May-04-04, 10:21
I know that everybody experiences dramatic loss in the first two weeks,Welcome Pambos. You are doing great and yes some out there have dramatic results in the induction phase but most of have more moderate results and others refer to themselves as turtles. Sometimes it takes our body a bit of time to adjust to this woe and you need to hang in there. Keep up you fluids, eat your fat, protien and carbs as outlined. You will find that you will get to where you want to be. For some of us it isn't as fast as others and for some it is down right slow but patience and perseverance are the Key! If you find you really are not loosing try fitday which is a site that calculates your intake so you see exactly what you are eating from fat/protien/carbs and number of calories and fibre content.

You can find fitday at
http://www.fitday.com
it's free site and a lot of us use it. We can also look at your menu with you to make suggestions.

Good luck and Welcome to this awesome forum

Petrina31
Tue, May-04-04, 11:54
Pambos,

I second Huggs' advice. I'll also add that maybe you're not getting enough calories and/or carbs. If your soccer games are particularly vigorous, your body will naturally need more fuel to keep it going. On soccer days, you might want to even up your carbs to 25, rather than the Induction standard of 20.

Coffee too may be impacting your weight loss. Why not cut the coffee consumption off for a few days and see if it makes a difference? If you can't cut it, don't sweat it. You're doing well. Also, be sure to measure yourself. Inches may be melting away, rather than pounds.

Best of luck to you!
-Petrina

Iowagirl
Tue, May-04-04, 14:21
There is some question as to wether or not coffee will stall weight loss (hint - I won't forsake mine, either) but I second the notion that your carbs are too low. Eating fewer than 20g will not enhance your loss and may impede it.

Unfortunately this way of eating has been perceived as a quick weight loss plan and it is not.

Hang in there, keep exercising, drink plenty of water, take your vitamins and I am sure you will see results.

Pambos
Tue, May-04-04, 23:14
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the quick responses. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience, I will stick to the diet then and see what happens. When should I expect to see some significant results? Hopefully I will start losing the weight faster in the near future. Also thank you for the tips. I have already begun to like this forum a lot.

thanks again,

Pambos

xvxwickdxv
Tue, May-04-04, 23:41
Hi Pambos,

Whatever you do don't give up. I am a "turtle" as you can see by my signature and I just keep plodding along. We are all different and all of us will lose at a different rate. I lost the first week and stalled for quite a few days before I started to lose again.

I am a coffee drinker also, one huge cup in the morning, and I won't give it up. It's my one thing I allow myself.

Best wishes to you!

Wickd