PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Discouraged

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jellytot
Sun, May-02-04, 16:22
Hello,

I just finished my 1st week of induction and was very disappointed that I gained a pound. Is this common? I am really sticking to the acceptable foods list and am counting every carb. My cravings toward the end of the week were quite bad so I allowed myself 3-4 tbsp of Heavy Whipping Cream with 1 tsp splenda (or less), twice this week.

Have those of you on Atkins for quite some time, found that you are able to
live with some moderation? That you can still go out with your friends and enjoy dessert with them here and there? What I do appreciate about the Atkins plan is that it forces me to really concentrate on what I put in my mouth - (no mindless munching). Just before I started this plan I was having some jellybeans (my favorite comfort food), and it dawned on me that I only enjoyed the first 10 or so. Yet I ate far beyond that point, infact eventually I ate the whole bag. Though I personally don't want to go thorugh life fretting over 10 jelly beans, 40 I admit is cause for concern. It is my personal goal to get to a place in my life where I can just have a little - appreciate and enjoy it and then stop when I've had enough. A real mental block I am facing on the Atkins plan is that it seems like it will never allow for any of my favorite foods to return to my life - even in moderation. Is this an unfair assessment? Any thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Jellytot (fighting the jelly-belly)

rpavich
Sun, May-02-04, 16:38
Jellytot,
Please don't give up...just make sure you're following the plan and not getting some "hidden" cabs....and remember....no "fake low carb food" like "low carb bars, low carb ice cream" etc...these are not a good idea during the first week or two....this is what ive understood from the atkins book and others here....

Remember...this is for the rest of your life....not till next year...you're changing yourself...not going on a diet..

keep up the good work and the lbs will drop!
bob

Jellytot
Mon, May-03-04, 15:43
Thank you for the support!

I am going to stick it through. I have to be patient....good things take some work! I have to focus on the things that count. After all, my body and I are in it together for the long haul. :cool:

Best Wishes,

Jellytot

shortstuff
Mon, May-03-04, 16:14
Hi jellytot - why not post the things you have been eating. There may be something there someone here can help you with.

shortstuff

LilaCotton
Mon, May-03-04, 18:11
Hi Jellytot! Have you by any chance read Atkins for Life? If not, check it out from your library and read it from cover to cover. This book will give you the long-term insight to see down the path on which you're headed.

What often seems restrictive at first on Atkins is later on lessened up a bit. After a week or two on Atkins you may never even want to eat another jelly bean as long as you live. If once you're to goal, and can handle it, I doubt a few jelly beans once or twice a year is going to kill you. One really important thing to learn is our trigger foods, which obviously jelly beans are for you. For some of us, some foods are like booze to an alcoholic--we can't stop at just one. Learning to control that (and I do believe it's more emotional than physical) can be a real trick.

Jellytot
Mon, May-03-04, 18:33
Congratulations on moving through a rough patch! I'll take a page from your book and stick it out. Thanks for the tip - I'll check that book out. :D

Best Wishes,

Jellytot