PDA

View Full Version : Help Me!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

QuirkyBlue
Sun, May-02-04, 05:40
Hello everyone! I started the Atkins plan last week, today is weigh-in. Two years ago I followed the Atkins plan and lost 35 lbs. I know, I shouldn't have stopped, but now I need to lose it again-plus an extra 5 lbs! Ahhh! I know the plan works, and I really enjoy it, but I seem to have no willpower this time - the first time in my 38 years and I hate it! I will be on this forum every day to motivate me and to help me stick to it! :)

Brettina
Sun, May-02-04, 06:46
You go girl........we can do it......I know it. I also have the need for words of wisdom and motivation. I remember how wonderful I felt 35lbs thinner and I want that back. How about you?? I'm here if you need me

Brettina :D

StacieC
Sun, May-02-04, 06:59
You've come to the right place if you need support and encouragement! Read through some of the journals - I have been amazed at the amount of success some people on this forum have had. I've only been living low-carb for a little over a month now, and my weight loss has been slow, but I feel so wonderful right now!!!

You *can* do it - just set your mind to it - you don't need all that poisoness junk that got you to where you are (and that got me to where I am (sigh)) and you can live without it very well!

Good luck to you - hope to see you around!

Stacie

DianaO
Sun, May-02-04, 07:39
Set your mind to it and you can do anything!

QuirkyBlue
Sun, May-02-04, 08:21
Thanks to everyone! And believe me, I will be needing everyones support! I will also be here to help! We can do it!

QuirkyBlue
Sun, May-02-04, 12:30
One week down and five pound down! I thought to myself, if I don't lose anything, I'll be so depressed! Well, I feel so relieved and ready for week number two. :)

Built
Sun, May-02-04, 13:15
You can totally do this. Hell, if I can (and I used to bake my own bread OY!) ANYONE can.

Almost three years in, over 30 pounds off and staying off. I do it with weightlifting and twice a week carb refeeds now, which has been really great. There is a way out of hell - it's called weightlifting. I'll get motivated and post a diet and training journal on here one of these days.

Keep going - it really DOES get easier as you go along.

Maybe post what you are eating so we can all help you.

Keeps you honest, too, when you know you're gonna have to write it down. I kept a journal for the first 6 weeks I did Atkins in the fall of 2001 - and I was really glad I did. Nothing like measuring a process you want to understand.

Good luck!

queenmary
Mon, May-03-04, 07:33
I'm new to this forum so I haven't learned the language. What are carb refeeds?

LauraLuv04
Mon, May-03-04, 10:48
Welcome & best of luck to you :D!

Built
Mon, May-03-04, 18:08
A refeed is something bodybuilders do to top up their glycogen. It also has the added perk of topping up your leptin and thyroid output. When you go low-carb for long periods of time, you drop thyroid output, which slows fat loss (I know. It sucks). The way out of hell is to occasionally have a deliberate "cheat" meal. Body Opus, CKD, TKD, NHE (what I'm doing now) all incorporate some sort of refeed.

It's still a keto diet, no question. And yes, it DOES pop you out of ketosis. But if you do it right, it actually enhances your fat loss.

Really!
:)

cheryljm
Tue, May-04-04, 04:52
Hi,

I am glad that i found this site. This is day three and I logged on first thing this morning for ideas on todays foods. I have not received my two books on carbs, so I decided to ask what I should snack on today. I work at a desk all day and I find myself looking for something to snack on. Are pork rinds ok.

QuirkyBlue
Tue, May-04-04, 06:51
I, too, sit at a desk all day and at times munch too much! But I keep pork rinds, sunflower seeds -in my drawer, and in the frig I have string cheese, baloney and celery with blue cheese dressing. I'm trying not to snack alot, but some days....
Anyone have any other snack ideas that they enjoy? I'd love to hear them!

Built
Tue, May-04-04, 08:25
I actually eat 6 equally-sized meals a day. TRUST me, I'm so tired of chewing, I don't need to snack. I'm full.

If you find yourself snacking too much, beyond "amuse bouche" where your mouth is bored, you are hungry. Eat a meal.

And yes, pork rinds are great.

4beans4me
Tue, May-04-04, 10:00
Hello and welcome! :wave:

bcbeauty
Tue, May-04-04, 10:07
As you are just starting out as am I (I have 2 months under my belt) I wouldn't worry at all about stuff like refeeds and cheat meals etc. The secret to your success will be a good clean induction(Keep it simple, whole foods, supplements and lots and lots of water). I am on owl and still mostly just keep it simple.

Built
Tue, May-04-04, 11:30
As you are just starting out as am I (I have 2 months under my belt) I wouldn't worry at all about stuff like refeeds and cheat meals etc. The secret to your success will be a good clean induction(Keep it simple, whole foods, supplements and lots and lots of water). I am on owl and still mostly just keep it simple.

I agree, and play it by ear.

I stayed in keto for the first 6 months I lifted. Then I started fiddling with TKD (pre-lifting carbs). Get the diet and fat loss in order, then when you feel like you'd like to get past a stall or increase your lifting a bit, that's the time to try the refeed strategy. You CAN gain a bit of water for a few days when you do this, and it does knock you out of ketosis. No point freaking yourself out until you KNOW your body (and your mind, LOL!) will be okay with this.

:)

Petrina31
Tue, May-04-04, 12:05
Quirky,

You've definitely come to the right place for support, advice and encouragement/motivation. Sounds like you have the right ideas when it comes to snacking. One of my favorite snacks is to take small slices of hard salami and curve them into a taco shell type pocket for monterey jack cheese cubes. I also love hard boiled eggs - either on their own or deviled.

Best of luck to you!

Petrina

SLMDezi
Wed, May-05-04, 05:28
Hello and welcome...good luck
Des