PDA

View Full Version : Yeay! I don't have to feel like an outcast!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Built
Sat, May-01-04, 23:19
Hi there

I just found this site, and I'm really glad to find a forum for OTHER BBs who don't do well on low-fat!

I started Atkins in the fall of 2001, and weight-training shortly after that. At the time, there wasn't much info on low carbing OR how to integrate this macronutrient mix with lifting.

Well, trial and error, Google, and weightlifting managed to get (and keep) about 30 odd pounds off of me, and put on a LOT of muscle. I've been fiddling around with TKD, CKD, and refeeds, with varying degrees of success.

I want to drop the rest of the fluff. It's going, slowly, and I'm really looking forward to getting support from people who have experienced the same things I have and whose bodies have brought them to this way of eating and training.

I'm looking forward to learning how to get the rest of the way to my goal, now that I'm sooooo close!

tamarian
Sun, May-02-04, 17:16
Are you the owner of these muscles?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5027

You've done great! Welcome abaord.

Wa'il

Petrina31
Sun, May-02-04, 18:50
Welcome!

Glad you found us. Even though you haven't yet reached goal, it looks as if you've already had tremendous success with this WOE. Keep it up and you'll be at goal in no time.

Best of luck to you!

-Petrina

Built
Sun, May-02-04, 23:12
Are you the owner of these muscles?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5027

You've done great! Welcome abaord.

Wa'il

Why yes - yes I am...:blush:
Thank you!

And thank you Petrina - it feels REALLY good - I have been really curious to see how far I could take this.

LauraLuv04
Mon, May-03-04, 10:40
Welcome!! :D
WOW! :eek: You've done awesome thus far!
Keep up the great work!:D

4beans4me
Mon, May-03-04, 10:50
Hello and welcome! :wave:

Built
Mon, May-03-04, 13:17
Thank you!

And it's great to be in a community that doesn't try to tell me how unhealthy BUTTER is LOL! I alternate between feeling slammed and getting really IRRITATED on that one.

I think this is going to be a great place to learn and share information. I wish I'd known about this years ago.

Pmizer
Mon, May-03-04, 14:02
Whoa....nice muscles!

erinleigh
Mon, May-03-04, 14:35
Welcome and great job so far!!!

Built
Mon, May-03-04, 14:42
Whoa....nice muscles!

Thanks bud! I love them! I realized a few years ago that my choices were "big and cut", or "big and squishy". Guess which way I went....;)

Welcome and great job so far!!!

Thank you. I'm glad to be here.

:)

LilaCotton
Mon, May-03-04, 18:35
It's nice to meet you! I love this place, because as you've obviously noticed, too, a lot of us are considered pretty freakish, LOL. (And no, I'm not talking about muscle because I don't have any that are discernable--just the way I eat, LOL.)

Built
Mon, May-03-04, 22:23
I think a lot of us have felt abandoned by the "fitness" community because we don't respond to diet the way they do. I am VERY fit. I just did it in a way that didn't leave me wanting to chew my arm off all the time.

Call me weak willed.... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

PS congrats on busting your stall lila! That is SUCH a great feeling, isn't it?

SLMDezi
Tue, May-04-04, 05:10
Hi and welcome,
you've come to the right place for support, I can tell you personally that the ups & downs have been well worth it..I love this place and I'm sure you will too...good luck!
Des

Built
Tue, May-04-04, 08:33
Thanks Des!

comachonia
Sat, May-08-04, 15:11
Hi Built!

Boy, you sure do live up to your name! I was reading in your profile that you do Atkins and do lifting. May I ask what type of training do you do and for how long? Do you do cardio as well?

You are an inspiration to us all! Keep up the fabulous work!

Lisa

Built
Sat, May-08-04, 17:51
Hi Built!

Boy, you sure do live up to your name! I was reading in your profile that you do Atkins and do lifting. May I ask what type of training do you do and for how long? Do you do cardio as well?

You are an inspiration to us all! Keep up the fabulous work!

Lisa

Thank you Lisa - you made my day!

I posted my routine here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=2142847&postcount=23
I actually rotate through a couple of days of controlled carb ups (it's called NHE, or Natural Hormone Enhancement) but it's otherwise basically still your basic keto diet, like Atkins. It's a variation on the cyclic ketogenic/targeted ketogenic diet theme. I started with Atkins.

I don't specifically do any cardio for fat-burning. I rely on weightlifting to do that for me. I do some recreational cardio - I've always been an active person, even when I was fat - but only as the weather permits. I'll ride my bike for a few hours once or twice every week or two, and I walk a fair bit, but nothing structured. I've been moving away from really structured, regular cardio, although I may do a bit of HIIT in the fall - I'll see how it goes. I get worn out and feel beaten up when I do too much cardio, so if that happens to me, I pull back.

I really rely on diet and weights take care of fat loss. Cardio is just that, for your heart, and you don't actually need THAT much cardio for your heart. I found I burned off more fat doing cardio when I was fatter. Now I find I get farther doing more intense lifting. Excessive cardio is actually catabolic to muscle tissue, and I found I was just shooting myself in the foot by doing more and more cardio and getting diminishing returns.

You're progressing nicely! Keep it up!

- Built