PDA

View Full Version : Onion Soup

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AlaneHilo
Sat, May-01-04, 03:36
I really like onion soup and I went looking for a recipe on atkins.com. The French Onion Soup recipe (http://atkins.com/food/recipes/all/French_Onion_Soup.html) I found was not approved for Induction so this is my variation.

Onion Soup

3 Tbs. butter ............................... 0 grams Net Carbs
1 onion, thinly sliced ...................... 9.5
6 cups of beef broth ...................... 6*
1/2 cup dry Marsala wine ............... 12
1 cup water
Fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley to flavor
salt to taste

* carbs depend on the brand you use, Swanson's had 1 g/cup

Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium low. Add sliced onion and mix to distribute the butter. Allow the onion to cook slowly for approximately 35 minutes, stiring occasionally. Onion should be soft and golden.

Stir in beef broth and increase heat to medium high. Stir in Marsala and water. Add parsley. Bring the soup to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add salt if desired.

Makes: 7.5 cups, 3.7g Net Carbs per cup

Serving suggestion: Grate Jarlesburg Swiss cheese into a bowl and ladle hot soup over it.

Happy eating!

-Alane