PDA

View Full Version : User-friendly cooking fat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MichaelG
Fri, Apr-30-04, 22:52
Hi cooks..

This has probably occurred to you to do..

Yesterday I bought a whole beef rump at a very good price because it is what we refer to as "budget" quality. That usually means it hasn't been trimmed of fat so it's ideal.

There was a good slab of fat on the 'outside' face of the rump, and big flakes of suet on the 'inside' face. So I trimmed the fat off, cut the rest up into chunks for stews, goulash, stroganoff..... I diced the fat and rendered it down in my big frying pan to yield about half a litre (a pint) of clear golden fat, which I put into a glass jar for use as my cooking fat.

Straight away I realised that this would set like a brick in the fridge and not be easy to chip out, so I poured in olive oil at the rate of one of oil to three of fat.

This morning I tried it, and it spoons out beautifully!

Roll on the next rump!!

Cheers
Michael Gardner

Scented1
Sat, May-01-04, 12:25
Great idea!

Thanks for sharing!!!