PDA

View Full Version : Hi from far away ... Paris France

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

magilicudy
Fri, Apr-30-04, 14:29
I've lived abroad for almost 17 years now and lots of friends and family are doing the South Beach Diet with much success. I just bought the french version (so that I can buy and measure the equivalents here, since there is very verylittle light food !). I'm on Day 6 and have lost about 3 lbs, but I am very very tired :o and very very thirsty! :( There's no lite ricotta here, no liteLaughing Cow, no lite string cheese, etc. so I 'm trying to do the best I can... But WHY am I so thirsty? I am drinking as much as I usually do, about 1 1/2 quarts per day....

LCanita
Fri, Apr-30-04, 14:47
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you are so thirsty. :( I don't have an answer, maybe someone else does...

Regardless, you've come to the right place to get answer and encouragement!

Good luck to you! :D :D

MISSRED197
Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:46
Hi and Welcome to the LC forum!!!!
:cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer:
You are in the best place for support
& motivation!! Best of Luck!!

Hugs~

Monika4
Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:51
Welcome!

Just drink - induction is like Atkins nearly, so you will need to drink a lot of water - do you drink 1.5 quarts of water? Just wait a bit and keep drinking - I often feel the more I drink water the more I loose!.

PKV
Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:22
WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU :sunny:

fcallard
Sat, May-01-04, 01:54
Hello !
You are NOT far away from me !
I am in Lyon and struggling like you
you say "There's no lite ricotta here, no liteLaughing Cow, no lite string cheese, etc." ; well, yes, but there are many other light foods, and instead of eating laughing cow try asking your fromager to give you light cheese (or eat a little less
By the way, can someone explain what is string cheese (or translate it roughly into french) ?
To help me count verything, I found a tiny book titled "le petit livre de la minceur" by Jean-Paul Blanc, dieteticien : it gives the values of many foods that you find in France, and it can help you figure what you eat as I do
Hope it helps

AFwife
Sat, May-01-04, 03:20
Bonjour,

Accueillir à bord. Cet endroit est grand.Tout le monde voici amical et qui soutient.

Vous l'aimerez ici.

Avoir un grand weekend.

magilicudy
Sat, May-01-04, 04:34
Hi,

String cheese is great, but you don't have it in France (I'm american but livehere) -- c'est comme du mozzarella compact et on le déchire en mangeant, après c'est comme de la ficelle ("string")... et aux US ca exite en lite, comme la vache qui rit ! Je vient d'envoyer des mails à Lactalis pour les supplier de faire du ricotta lite, mais pour l'instant je melange du ricotta normal avec du fromage frais 0% pour les recettes...

AFwife
Sat, May-01-04, 04:47
I've never had the laughing cow is that good?

I eat string cheese but not the light kind. I love how it shreds into strings. My boys think it's fun, cause they like playing with food.

:lol:

Vous êtes seulement quatre heures d'ici peut-être je viendrai la visite quand nous descendons dans 2005.

fcallard
Sat, May-01-04, 05:25
magilicudy
Merci for the explanation of string cheese : well, I will not look for it herre
Perhaps in England (my stepdaughter married an Englishman)
As for the light Laughing cow, as it is made with gruyere or emmenthal cheese melted, perhaps you can mix real cow with 0% fromage frais...

AFwife
Where are you ?

Hope we can help each other adapt european food to low carb
Today I cooked roast pork (ie filet mignon) with a side dish of zucchini and a little tomato for the taste, with herbs
Everyone (fit husband and growing 12 y old daughter) loved it and never knew they are eating lc !

hope sunshine is in your life

fcallard
Sat, May-01-04, 05:31
Just wanted to add : is South Beach in French really interesting compared to Atkins or the others ?
I already own so many books that I'm wondering
Thanks

AFwife
Sat, May-01-04, 06:30
magilicudy
AFwife
Where are you ?

I'm in England just an hour outside of London. :)

Kimarie
Sat, May-01-04, 08:23
undefinedundefinedundefined :) Hi -I am in Perth, Western Australia and also don't know what string cheese is and would love to find out. I am doing Atkins induction and have been eating Edam cheese. Should I be eating a light cheese?

magilicudy
Sat, May-01-04, 10:31
Kimarie -- String cheese is like compact mossarella and it's twisted into a bread and it rips apart, like string, thus the name. You can probably get it in Australia, since it's pretty much an anglosaxon cheese-invention.

Fcallard -- the French version of the SBD is a little unclear aboutwhat happens after phase 1, but it is helpful for the recipes. The English version is perkier and more readable, but then again, I'm American ... There is a website in English that is very very helpful www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm done by a woman who basically gives you the book on line without the doctor part. Lots of tips and recipes and updates that are not in the French book (like no more daily limits on tomatoes, which IS inthe French version) Check it out.

fcallard
Sat, May-01-04, 12:53
Thank you, Magilicudy, I'll be running there immediately !

AF wife, we really are 3 european-living people : & American, 1 French (me) and you, and an Australian lady to accompany us...
Nice mixed bunch, isn't it ?

Bless you all

AFwife
Sat, May-01-04, 13:14
Thank you, Magilicudy, I'll be running there immediately !

AF wife, we really are 3 european-living people : & American, 1 French (me) and you, and an Australian lady to accompany us...
Nice mixed bunch, isn't it ?

Bless you all

I'm American too. DH is in Air Force so we are stationed here. I love it here.

:)

Kimarie
Sat, May-01-04, 20:02
Thank you for that - have tried but we don't seem to have string cheese here. I went to school in New Mexico for a year and truely it is surprising just how different our coutries are when it comes to food. I live in Western Australia and we have an even smaller range of foods than they have in Sydney and Melbourne. Not many low carb foods - would love to be able to try the atkins mixes, still can't complain as I am losing weight and feeling great.

fcallard
Sun, May-02-04, 01:36
Well, happy to meet you ladies
Hope we can make it to our goals

For the european people here : I just read Splenda will be authorized soon in the EU ! Won't have to go all the way to LOndon...

Have a nice Sunday