PDA

View Full Version : First harvest

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Scented1
Fri, Apr-30-04, 12:50
:)
Okay, I did it. I went and picked up
Nuts
Flax Seed and FS Oil
Fruit and veggies
a bit of dried fruit (not going to eat a ton of this)

Nuts/seeds
Macadamia these are expensive, but so good
Sunflower
Cashew
pumpkin seed

Dried fruit
Marion Berry
flame raisins (nots sure what the flame part is all about)
Mago I just realized it has fresh cane sugar added :(

Fruit
HUGE Granny smith and Red Delicious apples
Bannanas

Vegis
Carrots
spinich leaf
cauliflower
avacado

The produce at the 2 places I went today didn't look fresh, even at the fresh produce market! It was wilted and a bit nasty looking. Though the apples were the best thing there. They had plantain but I wasn't sure how to tell if it was ripe or not.

I am getting ready to have my first fruit since last July! I am nervous and excited. Is that wierd or what? I don't want my body to freak, so I am just going to have a little bit with some meatloaf and salad. Maybe half an apple.
I just had 2 of the dried marionberries and they are so good. They are new to the health food store. I WISH I could eat walnuts. I love the way they taste. I might get a small bag next time and test these out. Maybe they are better than the store bought ones.

I just got small packs of everything to start.

I also picked up a copy of 500 low carb recipes by Dana Carpender. It appears to have many recipes that I can use paleo style or adjust.

So that has been my day thus far. I am HUNGRY!

TwilightZ
Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:38
I admire your enthusiasm, but you might want to think about a few things. First of all, cashews are poisonous raw and therefore not really appropriate in paleo diets. They are related to poison ivy--a genus called Toxicodendrons--which incidentally also includes pistachios and mangos.

Second, and you might not have realized this, but many people have trouble losing weight eating fruits and nuts, especially bananas. I personally have vowed off of fruit completely until I reach my target weight--the sweetness of the fruit will certainly send me reeling out of control. Recently eating nuts stalled my weight loss. Also I have read that starchy or sweet root vegs like carrots and beets can stall weight loss. Of course I am speaking from personal experience--you may have no problems.

For your meat loaf recipe in another post you listed "lean" meat. Saturated fat is your friend. This is what will satisfy your hunger and keep you losing weight. Best of luck--happy hunting and gathering!

Howard

steveed
Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:06
This is the only thing that drives me into a caveman rage about paleo, Audette says to choose the leaner cuts because the Omega Fats ratio isn't optional (unless your lucky enough to have grass fed in your freezer, which let's face it...is quite inconvenient). But he wants you to have plenty of animal fat for satiety...huh?

I get lean cuts, but I use lots of olive and coconut oil and take Omega 3 supplements.

Hopefully I'm doing it right? It feels right...my body seems happy?
Any thoughts? I guess it's a fine line we tread.

Later! :D

TwilightZ
Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:15
Yeah, Steve, it is a fine line and it's not easy. I do the same as you and when we can get grass fed that doesn't cost a mortgage payment, we'll have it. But more irony is that grass fed meat is leaner to begin with--so where's the animal fat supposed to come from?

Howard

Scented1
Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:06
Thanks so much for the input! :)

I am just following what the Paleo Deit book by Loren Corain says. Is there another book or source of information that is better? I just stuck to the lists in the book.

Like I may have mentioned I just got small amounts of nuts and fruit, and am going to be very careful with it.

It is so wierd about bananas, they don't give me the sugar high that apples do. eh go figure.

Thank goodness I can't stand beets and carrots usually only raw.

Any links or other info you could spare is greatly appreciated. :)
I learn something new every few hours!

TwilightZ
Fri, Apr-30-04, 20:17
I honestly have not read Cordain's book, but his suggestions of lean meat leave me wondering. I believe that most people here follow the recommendations of Ray Audette in his book, Neanderthin. The paperback version is inexpensive and reads very easily.

Howard

Scented1
Fri, Apr-30-04, 20:50
Thanks Howard!

I just ordered it from the bookstore and they actually called today to say it was in. I may just run down tonight and pick it up.

I don't want to screw things up too badly (well not at all LOL)

I really appreciate your advice and input. :)

toopoles
Fri, Apr-30-04, 20:52
I had to order Neanderthin and it just came in today also. How cool is that? I am looking forwards to reading it. Marty

Scented1
Fri, Apr-30-04, 21:32
cool! synchronicity. :)

have you read the Paleo Diet yet?

Scented1
Fri, Apr-30-04, 21:32
hey! speaking of synchronicity! we are both in the 31-32% of goal range too! ;) he he

Lobstergal
Fri, Apr-30-04, 22:53
[QUOTE=Scented1]:)
I also picked up a copy of 500 low carb recipes by Dana Carpender. It appears to have many recipes that I can use paleo style or adjust.

[QUOTE]

I just sent to my book club for that book. How do you like it?

Scented1
Fri, Apr-30-04, 23:15
It looks good, I haven't had a chance to use it or really read through it yet. I have just been hanging out on the couch with a headache most of the dsya. Will keep ya posted though. TONS of recipes. Some really could be used on this Paleo diet

steveed
Sat, May-01-04, 11:34
Yes, I like Neanderthin better, Cordains suggestion about eating no fat makes no sense. Our ancestors would prize the marrow, brain and innards more because of their life sustaining fat content. We now eat the sloppy seconds of yesteryear, in other words, the muscle tissue. So, next time someone calls you a fat-head, blink and say...why, of course I am!

I just try to eat those Omega-3 eggs and take supplements...then I don't feel so guilty about eating corn fed fat. Is there a device out there that measures your Omega ratios on a daily basis? I want one!!! :D

BTW, this morning for the first time I ate scramnled eggs cooked in super hot coconut oil. The taste was out of this world...also, my taste buds are changing. I got some "Isernios" sausage (no additives etc.), but they tasted a little too salty for me! I didn't even notice before!!! I don't even feel it necessary to salt my morning sliced tomato!

Weird!

Scented1
Sat, May-01-04, 12:55
Mmm I think I better get some coconut oil! That sounds yummy.

I don't think Cordain is saying not to eat any fat, but limit the amount of fatty meats. He does say you can eat organ meats and marrow as well.

I am off to get my Neanderthin book now.

I think salted meatloaf is a psycholicial thing for me. A by product of not ever getting good tasting meatloaf and having to salt it to death. LOL

Mine reminds me a lot of shepards pie though. Which I love! (sans potatoes)

There is a restaurant here in the Seattle area called Claim Jumpers don't know if you are familiar with it. Anyway they have a yummy beefsteak tomato salad. I think it is in olive oil with red onions and seasonings. It is yummy.

Okay have a great day!

steveed
Sun, May-02-04, 17:10
I think I'll skip the organ and marrow for awhile. I'm not quite at that hard core of a stage yet! I am an amateur and will stick to the muscle tissue...I'm such a wuss! (I will eat pate though) Oh well, one step at a time. I am familiar with Claim Jumpers...it's in Redmond/Eastside isn't it? I think I went there with my brother once for a biiiiiiiiig steak. I will have to try their tomato salad next time I go!

I had a great salad with my buffalo burgers...diced avocado, tomato and paleo mayonaisse with extra lemon juice and green onions on a bed of mixed greens. Num. :yum:

TwilightZ
Sun, May-02-04, 18:11
Steve,

Easy way to enter into the organ zone is what we had tonight, chicken livers, bacon and onions. Easy to make, heavenly to eat. Try it, you'll like it.

Scented1
Sun, May-02-04, 21:47
Is bacon okay on Neanderthin?

I know the cordain book says nope. I was trying to find some okay bacon at wholefoods but all of them had a ton of salt and sugar. No nitrates though. I opted to pass.

This is good info!

steveed
Mon, May-03-04, 09:48
Take your bacon and soak it overnight in water. All the sugar,salt and nitrates are water soluble. I got this info from the Neanderthin book.

Scented1
Mon, May-03-04, 09:56
awesome!!! thanks Steve!

I haven't made it through the book yet. :)

Lobstergal
Mon, May-03-04, 09:58
Steve,

Easy way to enter into the organ zone is what we had tonight, chicken livers, bacon and onions. Easy to make, heavenly to eat. Try it, you'll like it.

Did you just cut them up and fry them? It sounds good.

steveed
Mon, May-03-04, 13:47
I do use chicken livers when making my Bolognese sauce now that I think about it, and I love pate (the good stuff, not branschweiger) :Puke:

TwilightZ
Mon, May-03-04, 15:17
Did you just cut them up and fry them? It sounds good.

That's all there is to it. It takes a while for the onions and the bacon so we actually fry them simultaneously in separate pans (too much to fit in one pan), then I fry the livers in the bacon fat, then combine everything.

Hellistile
Tue, May-04-04, 08:50
I make my livers like Twilight Z but I add mushrooms, garlic and diced fresh tomatoes to the onion and bacon. I love chicken livers, yummmm! My stomach is growling!

TwilightZ
Tue, May-04-04, 09:18
I make my livers like Twilight Z but I add mushrooms, garlic and diced fresh tomatoes to the onion and bacon.

Sounds even better!

arcticslug
Tue, May-04-04, 10:24
It never fails to amaze me how cheap organ meats are at the grocery store. I feel a bit afraid to eat them, especially liver, because it filters out all the toxins in the animals' bodies. And with the way they are raised these days it freaks me out. Does anyone know anything about this? Are they reasonably safe to eat?

Scented1
Tue, May-04-04, 14:22
I think just eating it freaks me out a bit. LOL but that is my own personal psychosis. ;)

I don't like the way they tasted when I tried them years ago as a kid. Not my thing. at least not yet.

Hellistile
Tue, May-04-04, 14:49
I can't remember where I posted my story about how I got my son when he was a child to eat everything that was socially taboo and good for him (liver, beet greens, broccoli, buckwheat, eggs), but I will relate part of it here. I did not call a lot of unpopular children's foods by their english names but used ethnic names although Broccoli I called trees. It worked very well until one day at school another child told my son that he was eating "Liver pate" on his sandwich. My son came home very upset that I hadn't told him that what he had been eating almost since birth was "liver pate," key bad word here was "Liver," and all the preconceived notions that came with it. Anyway, he stopped eating it for a couple of weeks, but then his love of it won over and he started eating it again. What I am trying to say here is that sometimes we don't like things because they are socially not accepted as being foods we would like. Say liver to a group of kids and their first reaction is "yech." Of course these comments come from a person (myself) who, as a child, would elect to eat cold cooked liver leftover from supper as a snack over anything else in the fridge. I suppose my son liked liver because of all the good vibes he got from me more than anything else. But who knows?

TwilightZ
Tue, May-04-04, 18:42
It never fails to amaze me how cheap organ meats are at the grocery store. I feel a bit afraid to eat them, especially liver, because it filters out all the toxins in the animals' bodies. And with the way they are raised these days it freaks me out. Does anyone know anything about this? Are they reasonably safe to eat?

I don't blame you for feeling uneasy about it. I've been sticking to liver from pastured and organic fed chickens and grass fed beef. Not easy to find, but fortunately there's a natural foods store within a reasonable distance that stocks it. But of course it's not so cheap there.

Scented1
Tue, May-04-04, 20:54
Great story!

I wasn't too young when I tried it. I honestly didn't like the taste.

I used to hate onions too, but love them now.

strange how our tastes change.

I would be willng to try it if you made it. LOL :)

Lobstergal
Wed, May-05-04, 02:02
That's all there is to it. It takes a while for the onions and the bacon so we actually fry them simultaneously in separate pans (too much to fit in one pan), then I fry the livers in the bacon fat, then combine everything.

Thanks for the info. I only own one small fry pan (I really *need* to get to Walmart. LOL!) so I will have to do mine a little differently and I will probably add a few thick slices of tomato and cucumber to go with it on the side.