PDA

View Full Version : Getting bigger since I have quit smoking

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

maria23
Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:13
Hello,
I have never been very slim in my life but I was a size 10-12 at the most. I have quit smoking in September 2003 and I have gained over 40lbs since then. My clothes are now very small to fit. I am looking into sizes in the range of 16 when I buy clothes and I feel fat. I also get tired very easy and I cannot move as freely as before. I work an office job and I rarely exercise.
I would like to stop gaining more weight and lose 40lbs however I cannot get my self motivated because I feel hungry all the time and I still get very strong smoking urges so instead of smoking I will eat. I consume a lot of sugar as well! I mean a lot. I normally have about 3-4spoons on my coffee.
I have not tried this diet before, I don't know where to start. I have the support of my partner as he has also had exactly the same experience and gained about 50lbs. He doesnt make me feel bad that I have become a little bigger now but I want to lose weight and be able to wear my old clothes. I want to feel good with myself.
I want to ask for your guidance in this matter and you advice to the foods I am allowed to eat or not. Please treat me as a absolut beginner as I haven't got any info on Atkins diets apart from the basic.
I would like to say a very big well done to the people who have managed to lose and maintain their weight. Congratulations!
Thank you.

4beans4me
Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:21
First off, have you read the book? That would be the first step. :thup: You also may want to check out www.atkins.com They have a list of induction friendly foods that will assist you.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forums! :wave:

shoshie
Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:22
welcome you are in the right place for information and encouragment.
Shoshie

maria23
Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:32
4beans4me which is the book you mentioned? There are so many Atkin's books out there. Sorry I did say I don't know much. Thank you for replying.

4beans4me
Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:11
I would start with Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. :thup: :)

DitzyToad
Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:33
Maria23..... First, congratulations on quitting smoking. I too am an ex-smoker (quit June 3, 2000) and I too gained weight (30 lbs). You say your problem is motivation? If you can motivate yourself to quit smoking, then you can motivate yourself to stick to Atkins!! Quitting smoking was much harder for me than sticking to this diet! I tried many diets but never stuck to them because I was hungry, eating blah foods, and getting nowhere! This is where Atkins is different..... I'm not hungry and although food in induction is not that great (not enough variety) you see results and that right there gives you the motivation you may need. People where I work make comments all the time on how well I eat and still lose weight. Grilled chicken with green beans smothered in butter.... and jello and whipped cream for desert!! The jello is "light" containing no carbs and the whipped cream is unsweatened containing no carbs but I sweaten it with a packet of artifical sweatener containing 0.5 carbs. It tastes great and I feel like I'm cheating! You do have to watch your calories somewhat.... don't eat more calories than before you started your diet because that will affect your weigh loss. Similarly, don't cut your calories too low either..... this will slow your metabolism and affect weight loss too. Your best bet is to read the book mentioned and ask questions here and read other postings. You can do it!!! You quit smoking! ;)

maria23
Wed, Apr-28-04, 01:21
Thank you for your support. I will get the book this morning and I will start I think from today. I am not very confident with measuring Carb on food but if I could do it with calories I don't think this is hard. Thank you and see you in the forums