PDA

View Full Version : Not Losing Anymore

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mal465
Mon, Apr-26-04, 12:42
Hi I Am New Here, I Have Been On Atkins For About 6 Weeks, I Lost 12 Pounds, But I Have Seemed To Stop. I Am Still Doing The 20 Grams But I Eat Anything Throughout The Day To Make Those 20 Grams, Including Low Carb Bread, Strawberries, Salad, Meat, Cheese, Eggs. What I Am Doing Wrong.

4beans4me
Mon, Apr-26-04, 12:47
Congrats on your wonderful success so far! Many people find that their weightloss stalls for a few weeks after induction. Your body may just need time to adjust to the rapid loss. Your average is 2 pounds a week and that is fantastic! Stay focused and you'll see the scale start to move again. Best of luck!

tofi
Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:23
Welcome. Actually you are doing really well and a slow down or apparent stop is not at all unusual. This is when you can really learn to eat LC and get new habits. You're already 50% of the
way to your goal.

Since you have so few pounds left to lose, get used to the fact that you are NOT going to lose them quickly. Induction can be fast losses, but not thereafter. You should now be raising your carb levels by 5 grams more per week. Many people lose better as the level rises. And if you don't go up, you have nowhere to go back to, if your body gets super-efficient and adapts to the lowest level. Atkins is not a fast weight loss diet.

Read the sections on Pre-Maintenance in the book. That's where you should be now.

By the way, putting capitals on every word makes your message rather hard to read as the eye jerks around and the brain has to reread to see clearly where sentences start. Just a thought for you to consider.

d'lyn
Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:53
How about inches? Have you lost there? Sometimes the weight stays the same but the inches are still melting. I've stalled a couple of times. It sure can be frustrating but I still think this is the only way to go!

d'lyn

DianaO
Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:27
SOmetimes we have to watch calories along with Carbs.

DitzyToad
Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:16
First, I have to say that this forum is awesome! I stumbled upon it looking for info on how much space 1 lb of fat takes up vs the space 1 lb of muscle takes up (muscle is aprox. 1/3 the size according to info I found). Anyway.... I have been doing Atkins for 7 weeks now and find the info. posted here to be very helpful! I have lost 14 lbs but the majority of that was in the first few weeks. Initially, I was losing 1/2 lb a day - now my average has dropped to 2 lbs per wk. I thought I was doing something wrong but mostly blame a slow metabolism. I am still on 20 grams a day simply because I am afraid to move on and gain weight (I am still 16 lbs away from my goal). Now reading these postings, I see that my weight loss is pretty average (in the book I read, I had understood that weight loss should be rapid all throughout induction). Anyway, you are not alone either and you are probably doing nothing wrong either. One thing I did note is that you eat anything as long as you stay under 20 grams. The book that I have says that induction should be eggs, meat, poultry, fish and 3 cups of salad greens per day. Maybe try limiting yourself to these foods for a week and see what happens? Anyway..... your weight loss (as is mine) seems to be completely normal. But definitely take your measurements!! This is a must as you may have lost 12 lbs and "seemed" to have stopped but this is probably not the case. If you lose 1 lb of fat and gain 1 lb of muscle, that muscle will take up 1/3 less space. Your weight will stay the same but your waist will shrink. Mine has shrunk 4 inches. As long as I lose inches, I try not to worry too much about what the scale says. :D

adnama52
Tue, Apr-27-04, 18:02
our bodies seem to play these games with us. What it descides is that you are starving it, so it begins to slow the burn rate down. You actually have to trick the body into burning the fat, because it has a primitive design that tells it to hold on because there may come a famine. You have to find it's trigger point whether it is eating more times a day, excersing more, a little more carbs, some oil instead of saturated fat or chromium picolinate etc. Each one of us are different and although some things work for most of us it doesn't work for all of us. So it is your body and you have to keep a diary and watch how it responds and after you get in sync with your body it will have a hormone change and a whole new game begins :D

PKV
Tue, Apr-27-04, 18:43
Welcome and good luck to you! :)