PDA

View Full Version : Fat gut! Is this the diet I need?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tiffy
Tue, Aug-28-01, 18:01
I just found this forum today and I've been reading for hours.
I never believed before that I could acutally give up my pasta/potoes/bread but now I'm ready to give it a try.
Actually, I don't have alot of weight to loose but it's my body fat and where it's at that bothers me.
I am short and thick waisted. NEVER have I had a flat stomach. :(
However, I have just turned 40, am alot less active and my gut has gotten way out of control. (It seems to be a family thing. My
grandmother is all stomach with tiny arms and legs sticking out.)
I read somewhere that carbs usually do cause fat to store in your stomach area?
:confused:
So does this diet sound right for me? In the area of my gut I mean?
It's still so hard to believe that eating meat is a good thing! Or fats! And eggs...can this diet be good for your heart?
Anyway, HELLO everyone and I'm glad I found this place. It is great and seems very supportive.
I hope this is indeed right for me and I look forward to hanging out and hopefully losing my fat!!

debbiedobson
Tue, Aug-28-01, 18:38
welcome tiffy! yes eating this way is good for you! please read at least one of the lowcarb books. i recommend dr.atkins new diet revolution and dr. eades protein power plan. both these doctors explain not only how lowcarbing helps you lose weight, but how it's actually good for your health. it really improves overall health. yes, you'll lose your stomach when you lose weight. you know that you can't really spot reduce, but doing abwork strengthens your stomach muscles and as you lose your tummy will shrink too.:D

jenniferpa
Tue, Aug-28-01, 20:26
Did she also have a "moon" face and/or a hump of fat above her shoulder blades? If so it sounds a lot like Cushing's. The thin arms and legs, with a relly round torso, are extremely typical in adults. There are lots of other symptoms (e.g. violet stretch marks, easy bruising, hypertension) which can indicate this disorder, and it also tends to be inherited. It might not be a bad idea to have yourself checked out by a competent endocrinologist - I'm waiting for my son's results as I type.

Jay

Tiffy
Tue, Aug-28-01, 20:48
Yikes! I don't know much about Cushings but I just did a internet search and what I read was alittle scary.
For one thing, I do drink abit of alchol as in wine...daily. Just reading briefly, I saw that Pseudo Cushing's could develop from alchol.
As for "moon" face. Do you mean as in round??
Cause yes, I have a round face and it seems to have more fat then before.
As for my grandmother...yes, she has a hump of fat above her shoulder blades. (I don't) She also has high blood pressure and high blood suger. Not very healthly I'm afraid. Still she has been to many doctors and in the hospital. I've never heard any mention of Cushings.
Guess I need to look more into this. :(
Thanks for bringing it up and best of luck with your son's results!
BTW, no violet stretch marks or easy bruising.

Tiffy
Tue, Aug-28-01, 20:52
Geez, so sorry about all the bad spelling!!:rolleyes:
I typed my last post quick, did the spell check and all, but yet it didn't fix anything. Must have done something wrong?
Sorry!!:(

tamarian
Tue, Aug-28-01, 21:02
Hi Tiffy,

It's no problem at all. For the spell checker, just make sure you hit the "Finish Checking" when you're done.

Wa'il

Karen
Wed, Aug-29-01, 01:12
Fat gut, fat butt, fat head. ;) It works for all three!

A big belly, disproportionate to the rest of your body is a sign of insulin resistance.

Before you give this way of eating a try, read, and then re-read one of the excellent books on low carbing. Protein Power or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution should fit the bill.

Karen

Tiffy
Wed, Aug-29-01, 09:29
That doesn't sound good. :(
I am going to get a book today. Most likely the Adkins one.
In the meantime, I am going to follow the plan the best I can cause I want to get started now while I am feeling inspired.
I know one of my biggest problems here lately has been fast food.
I go to garage sales from Thurs-Sat. very week. And stopping for fast food along the way has become too easy. Just NOT doing that should be a plus. I will just plan better.
I was talking with my husband last night about eating LCD and he's in agreement to do it also! That will make it alot easier.
Now I just will have to work around my kids. :)
Thanks for the support!!