PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Seriously Starting TODAY! Hi There. How is Everyone?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NikkiL29
Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:33
Well Hello There!

I have approximately 8 weeks to loose 20lbs or there about. I currently weight in around 148 and want/need to be at 128 by June 15th, my 30th Birthday! Another reason is that my Husband and I will be closing on a lake cottage for Summer fun at the end of May and I will need to get into a bikini this Summer! YIKES!

So, I think Low Carb is the way to go. I have a Bow Flex that really helped me loose weight about three years ago when I initially got down to 128lbs. Then I met my now Husband and gained the 20 back. I am finding it so difficult to exercise at all! I know I have to if I am going to drop these pounds, but it is so hard.

Anyone out there who lost 20lbs in at least 8 weeks? Any strength trainers out there?

Thanks,

Nikki

d'lyn
Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:58
Keep in mind that the less you have to lose, the longer it seems to take. You also need to remember that strength training gives you lean muscle so you may weigh more. You might want to get the tape measurer out and use that as your guage of loss. Sometimes the inches go but the pounds stay. Measure today for your "starting" numbers.

Good luck. Bikini season is right around the corner I hear but I haven't had to worry about it since I was 19 years old!!!LOL!!!

d'lyn

Masaki
Thu, Apr-22-04, 23:41
Oh, hi NikkiL29! I replied to your post on the 7-wks thread already and tracked you down to here through your profile :)

I am really into strength training too, there's nothing that makes me feel stronger, look better or lose weight faster than pumping iron (okay, I admit I use machines and not free wieghts so I am namby-pamby :p). I wish I had access to a gym, but it's just so expensive! School just let out here so I can't use the gym there which is usually free, nor can I use the gym in my apartment building for some stupid reason which takes a long time to explain. Like I mentioned on the other thread, it's down to my 4-lb dumbbells and lots of reps! Whew!

Good luck with everything, let's try and keep each other motivated!

DaddioM
Fri, Apr-23-04, 00:01
Hi,

I lost more than that in 8wks...but you should really think of this as a WOL more than an 8wk diet or guess what, you'll be doing the same thing next year. Maintenance mode on this diet can be easy to do for most people.

Remember too that when you work out, you'll be gaining muscle mass. Muscle is heavier than fat but I'd make that trade any day. The scale WILL move.

Masaki
Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:10
Thanks DaddioM :D

A lot of new LCers seem to be focused on weight loss so much (as in "I have to" or "need to" lose Xlbs by Y!) that it's hard to remember that this WOL is about a great plethora of change in our bodies and diet, but most importantly, permanent change. Those who start out thinking they will do this for life, no matter how they lose initially, are happier, more easy-going and confident. Those for whom this is 'get thin so I can eat how I want!' Generic Diet #218, well, they'll be doing KISS or SBD in two weeks when they don't lose as much as they expect on Atkins. It's kind of sad to see it happen so much.

The LC WOL is probably the fastest slowest (not a typo) diet I've ever seen, in that the weight can come off extremely fast or slow, and anywhere in between, but no matter what it comes off! In the long run, those who stick with 1lb a week loss will be 100lbs lighter in 2 years, and those who give up becuase it's 'too slow' with be crying, and very likely even heavier than now in 2 years.

The most basic advice I can give is to stick with it no matter what! Reading the forum too much can also make people jump plans when they see the latest success story, but don't do it! Be a tortoise if you have too, you will catch them hares eventually ;)