PDA

View Full Version : sloooo-oo-o-ooow page loading

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Tue, Aug-28-01, 09:43
I've been noticing this for the past week at least, and getting worse since yesterday. I connect to the site instantly, so the tracer thing won't show a connection problem.

What happens, I get the line at the top ... Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet discussion provided free for information purposes, NOT as medical advice ... right away ... so I know I've connected okay. Then, the Active lowcarber logo ... then after a while, the orange menu bar and the ad banner at the top, although often the ad banner is a blank frame. Nothing else loads until the ad is loaded. Then slowly one by one, the icons -- profile, home, faq, etc.... - load. Then, I leave the room and come back 5 minutes later and maybe, just maybe the forum page itself might have loaded. Often, it will go to a "Cannot Find" error page.

Yesterday and today both, I typed up long, detailed posts, with links and lots of researched information ... stupid me, I did not think to copy and paste into a Notepad on my desktop ... Both times, took me an hour to look up stuff and type the posts ... Yesterday, I clicked "preview post" to save it, as well as to preview it ... and it hung forever, then, as I described above, only part of the page loaded, then eventually went to "cannot find" error page. Today, I clicked submit ... it hung again forever, and now it's lost. All that work that could have helped the members I was posting to.

It's very discouraging, and makes me not want to post at all, if all my hard work is just going to disappear into thin air. I shouldn't have to do all my work on a Notepad. Even so, when I paste the message into a new reply box, and try to do the formatting, the post is lost when I try to preview or submit.

Or is it my crappy browser that is all the problem??

:mad:

Doreen

doreen T
Tue, Aug-28-01, 09:53
And when I am finally able to connect smoothly, as I am at this particular moment ..... using the back button on my browser to get to the page where I was typing the message ... takes me back to a blank "new reply" box, so all of my work is gone.

tamarian
Tue, Aug-28-01, 10:00
Hi Doreen,

From the server side things have been behaving extremely well. Nevr been better, in fact. :)

If you ever encounter slow connection, send me the output of the trace route utility, so I can analyse it, or send to to our network provider. It may look o.k., but based on the names it provides, it can be tied in to some ISP outages. Your connection goes to many ISP's and network providers before it reaches our server. Last week, ABOVE.NET had sever router problems affecting many surfers, not just to our site.

We had a 40 minute problem this morning, that was from our server, but nothing last week. The ABOVE.NET is not part of our server network, but does affect us and many web sites when it goes down.

Wa'il

doreen T
Tue, Aug-28-01, 10:19
OK, I'll send a trace-path thingy to you. I know I lack some understanding of the process but I don't understand how this will be helpful .. as I said, I connect to the site instantly, and the top frame loads right away. It's just that for the rest of all the graphics and text frames, etc .. it takes forever, and then they load slowly one at a time ... and the problem is intermittent .. for example, when I submitted the two posts above ... ZOOOM .. instant. Then, trying to open the page to read your reply .... got the frames and banners at the top and had to wait ages for the icons to load then the messages frame to open.

Thanks for your time to check this out, I really appreciate it. I have no doubt it's my browser that's the whole problem. I have double-checked all my settings, connections, security settings etc ... , scanned and ran the IE repair program, just in case there was a damaged file or something. I am not experiencing this slow load problem at any other website. :(

Doreen

tamarian
Tue, Aug-28-01, 10:27
If some posts go Zoom, and others are slow, it is not likely to be your browser problem. Some page elements are "cached" into your hard disk and will always appear fast, even if the connection is dead. Intermittant problems are general due to bad connection, some router between your ISP and our server maybe going heywire, like ABOVE.NET did last week.

Wa'il

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-28-01, 10:31
Doreen, I had the exact experience around 11:30 am trying to post. It's the first time that has happened. HOWEVER, I was unable to get just about anywhere for 15 minutes or so. I think it was a problem in our neck of the woods with regards to routing. I hardly ever experience delays unless that is the case.

Nat

doreen T
Tue, Aug-28-01, 10:43
At the present time, all "seems" to be running smoothly. I will wait until the problem surfaces again, and send the info to you then. Maybe it will be like making an appointment with the doctor because you have a pain, and the pain goes away by the time you get to the office ;)

Do

debbiedobson
Tue, Aug-28-01, 13:31
i had the same problem for a couple of days too! i lost a post too!

tamarian
Tue, Aug-28-01, 14:05
Debbie,

You and I are on the same ISP. Ours did suffer the worst from the ABOVE.NET router failure.

Wa'il

fiona
Tue, Aug-28-01, 15:16
That is exactly what I was complaining about. But in addition to all that I also have the problem of getting connected in the first place.

Doreen, as usual, describes it in much more detail and with much more clarity than I did.

I know just how frustrating it is to read posts never mind get any replies posted Doreen.

Fortunately I haven't had any problems since the last time I brought it to Wa'il's attention.
Take care.

debbiedobson
Tue, Aug-28-01, 18:44
okay wa'il, old buddy! you know what a computer dummy i am! please tell me what ISP means. :D

tamarian
Tue, Aug-28-01, 18:47
Originally posted by debbiedobson
okay wa'il, old buddy! you know what a computer dummy i am! please tell me what ISP means. :D

Internet Service Provider (ISP) the ones who send the monthly bill. :)

Wa'il

debbiedobson
Wed, Aug-29-01, 12:12
i just have to laugh at myself wa'il!:D if i didn't i'd probably cry!;) thank-you!