PDA

View Full Version : New to Group. Saying Hello and thanks for all the information here.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ksween
Wed, Apr-21-04, 06:38
Hi, Well the system here told me I should make a post so here I go. I have been reading around the site here the last few weeks and have learned a great deal. I have always been overweight since middle school. I have lost 50 lbs here and there and always seem to go back to about the same weight. I dont put back on more pounds though. This has been quite an aggrivation over the years. About a year ago I made a decision to not really diet but eat much healthier. I was successful in losing 20-25 lbs but after that my weight stayed the same. Over the next 4 months I didnt lose any more additional weight. Just out of the blue one day I decided to run over to the book store and get the Atkins paperback. Well since that day Feb 1 2004 I have been following Atkins. Lost an additional 16 lbs so far. I do have the Atkins protien bars and have read that the sugar alcohols can play a factor in the speed of the weight loss. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge with this? I do really like to have a 0 Net impact carb candy bar for a treat after dinner. Do you think I should give that up too? Any ideas would be great. Thanks for the great web site!
Ken

Petrina31
Wed, Apr-21-04, 07:36
Welcome aboard Ken! As you probably already know, this is a great place for information, advice and encouragement/support.

Re: sugar alcohols, per an article in the most recent edition of Low Carb Living Magazine you should count one-third to one-half of the sugar alcohol grams as part of the net carbs. This runs counter to what Atkins indicated and how the net carbs are configured in most lo-carb products, but to be on the safe side, I count 1/2 of sugar alcohols in my net carb total...which leads me to shun these products for the most part to avoid exceeding the 20 net carb limit per day.

Sugar alcohols have also been known to stall some lcers, so proceed with caution.

MISSRED197
Wed, Apr-21-04, 11:47
Hi and welcome to the forum!

:Party:

You are in the perfect place for support and motivation!!

Start a journal so we can visit and support ya. Best of luck!!

Hugs~