PDA

View Full Version : greetings from sunny Yorkshire

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TonyT1965
Sat, Apr-17-04, 15:44
hi all, just registered and thought I would introduce myself, it does seem the polite thing to do.. lol..

My names Tony, and I live in Yorkshire, England, with my lovely wife and 2 great (if completely nutty) boys aged 2 and 5...

doin atkins for the second time, first time had a stall (read about them here already) and gave up as i thought it wasnt working, wish I'd seen this forum then, but not to worry, i've found you all now so will not make the same mistake twice..

I'm 38 and work in IT support for a local university, ace job, love it to bits..

This time around (started last Monday), I have again lost a lot in my first few days, 11pounds so far in 6 days, and want to do this right, so what i was wondering is if someone could look over my usual sort of daily intake of food and tell me if this seems ok, no problems if not, but i think it should be..

a few details first...

1. I dont really like a lot of veggie - mushrooms, onions, tomato and lettuce are about all i eat

2. i NEED a little treat to make sure i dont get sick of the food i'm eating, so far i've found a pickled onion (odd i know) seems to do the trick, but also know that they contain about 8g carbs per 100g, so about 3g per onion...

right, now i'll give u all a rough idea of my daily intake, feel free to put me right guys, no problem at all...

breafast - small cup of decaf coffee, 2 hermasetas sweetners, smidgen (very small amount) of double cream, scrambled eggs

lunch - bacon (3 - 5 rashers), 3 fried eggs, 100g tinned, drained plu tomatoes, mushrooms sometimes... or corned beef salad, with lettuce and tomato

maybe 2 - 3 cups of coffee, no cream during the day

evening meal - either beef, pork or chicken, nothing fancy, with my remaining allowance of mushrooms and tomatoes, plus a couple of pickled onions, or maybe a mushroom, onion, cream and garlic sauce (all within the parameters of what is allowed on induction)

maybe a final cup of coffee at the end of the day with a small amount of double cream

during the day i struggle to drink the water really, altho I am trying to drink it, i do drink a fair amount of diet fizzy drink but not to excess, and also like the very low carb flavoured water, so may move to this if it is better..

ok, suggestion etc.. if anyone has any will be greatfully received..

one problem i do have, feelan idiot saying this, is my "regularity", i had a problem with this before, but i'm thinking maybe my lack of water intake was to blame then, so will try and alter that this time..

thanks for listening/reading, and help or advice will be welcome..

all the best..

Tony

p.s i started at 300lb exactly, and am 6'1" tall

4beans4me
Sat, Apr-17-04, 15:47
Hello and welcome! :wave: Best of luck!

bcbeauty
Sat, Apr-17-04, 16:32
Hi Tony... I don't know if you can get psyllium husks there or not but this will help with regularity. As will eating your veggies.
You really do need to eat them. And you must drink 8 glasses of water on top of the fizzy drinks. (You really do get used to it as well) If you keep reading around the forums...you will see what causes stalls and maybe can associate your own menu with some of those foods. It's kind of hard because not all foods stall all people. YMMV(your miles may vary) Kinda like hit and miss. Good luck to you.

suzzee2003
Sat, Apr-17-04, 18:17
Tony, You look like your starting off pretty well! As time goes on things get easier to pin point. For me, Water is a real key to feeling so much better. I don't know all the technical reasons behind it but it truly does help. I know you will stick with it this time and the weight will be history before long. Glad you stopped in and welcome to this forum!

eric909
Sat, Apr-17-04, 19:31
Hi and welcome to the forum http://users.adelphia.net/~ecountz/welcome.gif

Blulady
Sat, Apr-17-04, 19:51
Hi Tony!

My husband is originally from Reading, Berks.

I had a major problem with the water as well. I hate the stuff!

Anyway, in my 3rd week I felt I was slowing down and decided to get that water into me no matter what - it made a huge difference.

Here's how I did it:

I started a new thread on the board begging for a few kind people (there's so many here, I challenge you to find one unkind person!) to come to my journal and remind me to drink the stuff.

Well.... all of a sudden I had all of the people popping in to say "Pam, did you drink your water?" so yes, I felt like I had to do it or let them all down. I also started posting my water intake in my journal throughout the day - kind of keeping track of myself - it really helped and I still do it.

Silly and stupid, but it worked. Each day now I drink a gallon - woohoo!

So... start yourself a journal, they are fabulous - all of your new LC buddies can come and leave you messages to cheer you on. We're all in this together!

Pam

penelope
Sat, Apr-17-04, 20:04
Hi Tony
Start using Fitday.com, great help for your carbohydrate counting. Because you are 300 pounds, you will lose weight faster than slimmer people will.
You should educate yourself on all the different Low Carb diets on the forum, the reason being that if you get discouraged with your program instead of going off, you can kind of move sideways in a different one.
How about eating green beans with butter?
Raw vegetables dipped in flavored sour cream.
On the other hand, coleslaw with a tad of LC sweetener and vinegar is tasty and will help with your elimination.

It will not happen right now but soon you will have to quit using so much diet pop because in some people it will slow down and even stop your weight loss. Try water instead, you will get use to it. If it is not water it is food.
The same goes for large amount of coffee. I make my coffee with half decaf and regular strength.

How about, some ice tea with lemon.

Water, with a slice of lime or lemon.

You could go for quality instead of quantity coffee wise, look at it as a treat 3, or four times a day instead of all day. Nothing wrong with your cream use it.
You will find different recipes in the forum but if you keep it clean, you will lose faster. If you start having frantic cravings, it is because you had something with sugar in it or too many crabs.
MSG in Chinese cooking will get you cravings.
Pene

TonyT1965
Sun, Apr-18-04, 12:55
as of today, water in the right quantity is a must, gunna be hard but i WILL endeavour to do it, promise....

dropped some of the decaf coffee, and will try and have no more then 3 or 4 a day, less if it is necessary..

also trying to get some veg into me, i love chinese food, so been out and bought some stir fry veggie, 4g per 100 carbs, 2g fibre, so 2g digestable if i read it right, so should be ok, wont eat a lot, but hoping for a 200g portion per day if i can...

got some good multi-vitamins, so will start on these also...

my first week is up tomorrow, so i'll let u all know how it went..

thanks for your support

Tony

MISSRED197
Mon, Apr-19-04, 07:09
Hi and welcome to the forum!! :daizy:

This is the perfect place for support and motivation!!
Best of luck!!

Hugs~

tammy565
Mon, Apr-19-04, 07:46
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you're doing great. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful. I found the water thing really hard as well, in fact I still find it hard to do on the weekends, but i'm getting better as i've realised what a difference it makes. Good luck.

Tammy