PDA

View Full Version : New to the LC life

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

skinnbones
Wed, Apr-14-04, 06:07
Hi, I am new to LC life. My husband now says he is going to give up altogether and we had just started. I am so glad to have found this site. With a 16-year old daughter and now an “I give up” husband wanting the high carb stuff still around I can use any advice on how to survive.

Blulady
Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:01
Hi Skinnbones!

Welcome! There are many of us here who have a non LC family in the house. It can make this a bit harder, but you can do it!

I try to base meals around what I can eat (most of the time - if it doesn't work out, I cook myself something separate).

Start with a nice choice of meat, add salad and a carb friendly vegetable like cauliflower. Now at this stage, you have your meal ready - just add some potatoes/rice whatever for the others.

If you end up having to cook something different for yourself, so be it! You are worth the extra time and effort. I just keep telling myself "let them sit back and watch! I'm going to look great!'

Good luck and best wishes!

Pam

loserbaby
Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:24
Don't give up. It is sad that youre husband doesn't want to continue, because you really start to feel great after 2-3 weeks of feeling awful. But stick with it. Just because your family doesn't want to eat low carb, doesn't mean you can't try weaning them off the really refined white sugars and flour. Also, I would suggest learning to bake bite sized lowcarb treats, and keeping things like string cheese and cut vegetabels on hand, so when DH decides to bring home a carbfest, or you go out to a movie, you don't feel deprived (packaged stuff causes stalls). Soon you will feel so good that you don't even want to cheat (well not often anyway:))

DaddioM
Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:35
STICK WITH IT!!! It sounds like you're ready for a "new" you. Soooo many dishes can be for both you and the family with minor changes. If you stick with this, your cravings WILL diminish so you can make baked potatoes and rolls for them, and just don't eat them yourself. Even going out is possible I've found (with a few exceptions). I went Italian the other day and I know the owner. He told me a couple of his sauces don't have carbs...so I had chicken with brocolli and mushrooms in a white cream sauce..yum.

After you're through induction, you can eat the top off the pizza.

Don't give up...I was the biggest snacker in the world, and now the snack cupboard is still full, but I don't partake, because I've had such success and I LIKE the new me.

You gotta do what you gotta do, but if you decide to stay, we're here for you.

Below is a post I created for new LC'rs...read through it...hope it helps!!

Welcome to this wonderful board....the people here are soooooo helpful. The couple times I've been really tempted and down, the people here really helped me get back up.

Hope to see you around in here!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175492

galatia
Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:46
Hi. Read all you can on this website. I haven't run across a question or problem yet that someone hasn't addressed. Start you a journal and you will have friends to talk to whenever you need support or to just talk about things. After a couple of weeks it won't bother you to fix whatever you have to for your family and continue to eat your meals happily. I never thought there would come a day I could fix a pan of brownies and not eat half the pan. I did and didn't even want to eat one. The carb cravings do go away. I keep Great Value dry roasted peanuts for salty snack cravings, and have a lemon cheesy dessert thing that makes me feel like I'm not deprived of anything. The low carb wraps are wonderful. You can eat low carb now and not even feel like you're not eating like the rest of the family. I hope you are very successful.
Debbie

missy7938
Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:00
Hello and welcome to the forum! If you stick with low carbing you will not be disappointed! I too became discouraged a few times and came right to this place and read, read, read! It helps alot when giving up seems like an option! Just think what your husband is going to think in a couple weeks when you start complaining about your clothes being loose........he may want to join you in the low carb way of life!
I have put my whole family on the low carb diet and they don't even know it. I wish you the best of luck!! Hang in there.........Missy

DianaO
Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:06
Don't give up!!!! Hang in there!!!! You can do it, even with that high carb food around!!! After awhile you will lose the taste for it. You will prefer LC foods. Trust me! I ate a slice of Wonder bread one day and yuck!!! It was so gross!

LMmama
Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:28
Hi and welcome! You have come to the right place for support and information! I am in the same boat. My family is not going lc with me. Yes, sometimes it is hard to feed them something that is high carb and not eat it with them, but after the first few weeks, you really lose your taste for it. I know it is hard to believe, but it's true!! And the energy you will feel... WOW!! You will know that a few bites of high carb isn't going to be worth the sacrafice.
Best of luck to you!!

skinnbones
Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:24
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will come back here often to read and I have started my journal. Your comments mean very much to me.

Spinr24
Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:30
Hi, I cannot say that I can relate to living with other non lc people. But I can imagine that it is hard. I usually cook for just myself and I have a hard time sticking the LC meals when other things are so much easier and faster to make. But I do wish you the best of luck and I'm sure this forum will help as it has helped me and many other. Good luck!!!!

eric909
Thu, Apr-15-04, 04:52
Hi and welcome to the forum http://users.adelphia.net/~ecountz/welcome.gif

cls923
Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:03
Hi...Welcome to the forum!!!

MISSRED197
Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:53
Hi & Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!

You are in the perfect spot for support and motivation!! Everyone here
ROCKS!! You can do this, you are worth it!! And don't hesitate to ask questions!!
We all support each other that's why we're here! Best of luck!! :roll:

Hugs~