PDA

View Full Version : Women,Weight & the Weed

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ItaliaGirl
Sat, Apr-10-04, 08:19
Someone once said to me when i was moaning about gaining weight if i quit smoking,

They said -

think logically - how many men do you hear - even men with weight problems say that smoking helps keep the weight down ?.

I thought that was very interesting concept and would love to hear other peoples views.

After all, smoking and eating are complete opposites.

So why equate the both ? Because prehaps they are oral? then so is drinking. because smoking increases metabolism? - it does only slightly and not much to make a real difference.

And - when i smoked and gained weight - I never said to myself - why is this happening? I am a smoker - why have i gained weight? I shall use smoking to lose it

but yet when i quit - terrified of gaining weight - all because because i was not smoking.

Anyway - any thoughts?

jemman
Wed, May-19-04, 11:21
i too am terrified of quitting because of weight gain/stall- and just reading on another thread that it takes up to a year for your metabolism to get back to "normal" after quitting, is really not motivating.

Kharma
Wed, May-19-04, 12:13
Smoking artificially boosts your metabolism. When you quit your metabolism drops back to normal. I also found this out; many women have thyroid problems smoking masks and it's not until they quit smoking that this is discovered. That might explain weight gain too, until your body is more used to the slower metabolism of course, exercise could help counter some of that I think.

When I quit I was NOT gaining, I just wasn't losing... well that went on for a couple months and I started to lose heart and I started to eat high carb again. Then the weight started coming back on, along with the diagnosis of my thyroid being undermedicated. Double whammy there I guess. I'm back on induction and my thyroid meds have been tweaked (I retest again in a couple weeks, but each time it's gotten better!), so we'll see what happens from here :)

-I'd change my sig to reflect my correct status but I can't figure out HOW to! No option for that under edit profile :/

adukart
Wed, May-19-04, 13:56
Kharma, click Quick Links in the bar above and then select edit signature from the drop down list.

Kharma
Fri, May-21-04, 23:46
Thank-you!! I knew it was around here somewhere lol :D