PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight/appetite/mood

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

arcticslug
Fri, Apr-02-04, 16:53
Hey there everyone. Now that it's getting warmer and sunnier I'm finding my appetite is WAY down. I've gained some winter weight but it is finally starting to come off and I'm not trying. My sugar cravings seem to have disappeared. I really believe it's the amount of sunlight that I receive which affects me, so throughout the day I try to get a few minutes of sun basking time. It feels SO good! It really makes me understand why certain religions would worship the sun. I've read some paleo books that have recommended that people get sunlight for the vitamin D and the effect it has on serotonin levels in the brain.

Anybody else notice any changes in their body or appetite with the arrival of the sun? Any different cravings for different foods?

Zuleikaa
Fri, Apr-02-04, 18:12
What you describe are classic SAD symptoms. A lot of people get them including me. I'm still waiting for that spring feeling.

Shazzer
Sat, Apr-03-04, 07:27
Goodness, yes. I'm sleeping less, eating less, and have lost two pounds in the last week.

toopoles
Sat, Apr-03-04, 13:17
I'm feeling a lot better now also. My cravings have changed. My weight has started to drop again. Love the sunlight. marty

nela
Mon, Apr-05-04, 05:19
Definitely feel a lot better, and am also sleeping less. Yesterday, while having a family lunch with the in laws, my MIL offered me a whipped cream dessert, which I refused and had a crispy apple instead. After being off sugar for so long, I found it incredibly sweet and tasty. Maybe I'm recovering my natural taste buds and the pleasure of eating real foods? I'm looking forward to eating low carb fruit this summer.

arcticslug
Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:09
Has anyone ever tried one of those SAD lights to see if it works to cure the carbohydrate cravings/depression that people get because of the lack of sunlight in the winter?

If it works.....I'd love to try it!

kay3osu
Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:42
my exhusband bought one and i still divorced him. :) he was just as miserable as always........

Paris
Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:51
I never thought of having SAD... but now that Ohio is getting sporadic days of spring I feel so much better. I want to get outside and move! I also desire different foods - fresh, crunchy things like raw asparagus and juicy berries.

toopoles
Wed, Apr-07-04, 15:53
About the light.

I have one. It helps my mood, but doesn't really help my eating. I still sleep much more in the winter and don't feel like moving very much. Marty

bekkers
Thu, Apr-08-04, 01:34
I have been feeling better lately as well. I hadn't really considered the weather, but now that I think about it, I really do feel like it is more "summer-y" and have been eating more fresh berries and lighter food. hmmmmm...

arcticslug
Thu, Apr-08-04, 11:51
Well, it doesn't sound like many people have reduced cravings with the special SAD lights. I might try it anyway....or perhaps go somewhere hot and sunny for a couple months next winter! I wish!

anyways it is truly a relief to be away from all the cravings and back into eating for nutrition.

:)