PDA

View Full Version : Vitex

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SyrNYchick
Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:59
Has any of you fellow PCOS'ers tried the nutritional Supplement called Vitex (chasteberry)? I have been doing alittle research on it because I want to conceive a baby, but you need to ovulate first. Look around the internet on the subject. I have been taking it for about 2 months now but it takes about 3 months to build up in your system to get the effects. If anyone is interested I will keep you posted on the progress.

Shannon

Grimalkin
Tue, Mar-30-04, 16:26
I am interested in your progress. I have heard chasteberry is good for balancing women's hormones, but what exactly it does to your hormones I don't know so I haven't tried it yet. For instance, why do you say ovulation is necessary before the supplement works?

SyrNYchick
Tue, Mar-30-04, 16:44
I'm sorry I meant that ovulation was necessary to conceive. But the vitex is indeed supposed to balance out hormones which will help in ovulation, and the menstrual cycle as a whole. I have noticed though that I don't get hormonal surges anymore, for example, before when it would come to a certain point in the month I would break out with pimples and I would become very emotional. I would dwell on things for days. Then it would go away. Now I haven't had this for over a month, I believe that the vitex is starting to kick in. I probably won't have a period for another month but atleast I am beginning to feel some effects. I feel a little like a guinea pig because I am doing this on my own but so far so good. I found this herb when I was at the pharmacy. I was looking at a product that was supposed to help you get pregnant. It cost like $40.00. I thought that was a little expensive so I looked at the ingredients and vitex was at the top of active ingredients. So I came home and looked it up and studied what it did for a day or two then I went in search to find it as it was. The only brand I could find in the Pharmacies was GNC's brand. I trust them so I bought the bottle. 90 capsules for $8.00...sold. I'd be happy to keep you informed

Shannon

SyrNYchick
Sun, Apr-04-04, 20:44
I don't know if it is induction or if it is the vitex but my period dropped in to visit this week. I am going to assume it is the vitex because I haven't had a period in a few months and I have been taking it everyday for about two months. I have done induction several times in the past and have spotted but this is a normal one for me. I guess time will tell.

Shannon

LUCKYLADY
Sun, Apr-04-04, 21:02
Hi!....I'm taking Ovulex which also has vitex as it's main ingredient...I have not had a problem with missing periods but I was told by my fert doc that I don't ovulate every cycle which is why we had so much trouble concieving our son.....We are now ttc#2 and I started taking Ovulex on my own about 3 weeks ago....According to the info that came with it they say it takes 2 weeks to reach full potency and may take up to 3 months to get pg. It was expensive though I paid $156 for a 3 month supply, but, it also comes with a money back guarantee. I decided to take it after watching 2 of my coworkers struggle to get pg go on it and get a +hpt within 3 months of starting! As a matter of fact the first girl is going to be induced tomorrow!!! I'm so hoping this works for me....I'll keep you all updated.

SyrNYchick
Mon, Apr-05-04, 06:42
Thank you for the information Luckylady, Good luck to you.

Shannon

catsrus
Tue, Apr-06-04, 08:10
Shannon - You didn't say - does your fert doctor have you on hormones? Does he know you are taking this herb? thanks. Cats

SyrNYchick
Sun, Apr-11-04, 21:07
I am not currently seeking help from a doctor. I do know that if you use this herb you are not supposed to take fertility drugs because they would cancel each other out. I would assume that you aren't supposed to take hormone replacement pills either because this herb is supposed to balance your hormones naturally. I am going to give it a year and if it doesn't help, at that pont I will seek the help of a doctor but I would like to exhaust my natural alternatives before going to the prescriptions.

Shannon