PDA

View Full Version : too much water?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

libra81
Mon, Mar-29-04, 13:52
is it possible to drink too much water so that it will make you gain. Whenever I drink a lot of water I hate it b/c it makes me feel like Ive just gained 10lbs and makes me paranoid to step on the scale.

MyJourney
Mon, Mar-29-04, 13:58
lol well you shouldnt step on the scale right after you drink water.

Water will help you lose weight, but you may experience temporary weight gain until you flush it out. It isnt fat weight, its just the water, and your bodys weight will fluctuate all day based on what you eat, drink, body temperature and other things (also depending on your scale)

For best results weigh once every 2 weeks first thing in the morning after you went to the bathroom.

whatsupdoc
Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:02
I only weight myself first thing in the morning b/c that's when you'll bee the lightest. 16 ounces is 1 pound. And if you drink 32 ounces then you'll be 2 lbs heavier on the scale. Just like if you weigh yourself, for example, and weigh 150 lbs, then pick up 2 32 ounce water bottles (4 lbs), you'd weigh 4 lbs more b/c your holding onto those 4 lbs of water. Same thing if instead of actually holding onto the water bottles, you consumed those 64 ounces and the water is in your body so your body weights 4 lbs more.

Thus, my weight at night is usually 3-5 lbs more than my morning weight b/c during the day you eat food and consume water and that is still in your body by night time and thus you weight more.

so, only look at your morning weight as I think its more accurate. For me, I dring 2.5 gallons water a day so there's also alot of that water weight in my system.

DianaO
Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:42
I drink 288+ oz a day in water! It has never "Stalled or gained" Matter of fact if I drink less, I dont seem to lose as well

LadyBelle
Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:26
If you drink less water, your body will be more likely to hang on to what it gets, leading to water retention.

Drink up to help flush out stuff :)

DianaO
Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:33
I agree 100%

libra81
Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:48
thanks, I've been trying to drink at least a gallon a day. I drink about 3 liters while I'm at work and another 2-3 when I get home. I work out a lot so I guess its good to keep hydrated.